Saturday, July 9, 2011

Hello

Right now, instead of blogging, I should be writing a 'public speech' for my post-grad course. Unbelievable. I think I'll just draw some Mid-Century chairs and buildings on a White Board and explain how I should have been an architect instead of a lawyer. Yes. They will be impressed.

Or, I'll talk in newly-learned Finnish for five minutes.

Or, I'll let loose my troupe of performing bears. Or ask my audience to do some washing up and clean their rooms.

Apart from that, I have been introduced to Finnish reggae. Who knew THAT existed?

And I met the beautiful Pam the other day. Only for a fleeting few minutes, but I think everyone needs to meet her. Everyone get in a line. That's right, and don't crowd the poor woman!

I love meeting blog people, because you 'know' them, but you don't 'know' them, but you feel like 'old friends/bookends' when you meet for the first time.

We went West on the weekend to collect some of the children from their grandparents (not Mid-Century lovin' Grandma and Grandad, but other Grandparents).


The above house is at the top of the Toowoomba Range. I love it, but it is in an unfortunate position on a main road and will one day be hit by a run-a-way truck.


Western Grandad has his own bowling green. And we play bowls.


All of us have a go.

Some of us trip back to the 80s in our Doc Martens, pop a few monos and relive our glory days.


Western Grandma grows roses. This one was the only one not savaged by morning frost.


Ikea sheets.

Maybe I'll speak for five-minutes tomorrow on Ikea. Or I'll just turn up drunk.

I'm still collecting things for the Giveaway I promised. But things are manic here.

19 comments:

  1. We had a big exhibition about reggae at my work and I was amazed at how many cultures is crosses over, but I was unawares about Finland. Wow.
    Yes, I'll stand in line to meet Pam, I can tell she is super lovely. It's funny meeting a blogger, as you said, you know them but you sort of don't.
    I can't believe a bike is allowed on the bowling green!! I played lawn bowls for a few years - if was a lot of fun.
    I'd love to see you give your speech. I'd be happy to listen to one on chairs, ikea or anything really, especially if it was under the influence. I have to write speeches for our Mayor at work and boy oh boy do I hate doing it!! Good luck with yours :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh public speaking. Yes being drunk would probably be my strategy too. Good luck with that one. Maybe you can rip off a Moomin storyline?

    Pam sounds lovely doesn't she? I was meant to meet up with all the Brisbane bloggers at a biggest morning tea but had to cancel at the last minute.Such a shame but I'm sure there will be a next time.

    Love those Ikea sheets!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck. Make sure you don't think and drive.

    A

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like Jim Dixon's 'Merrie England' speech?

    ReplyDelete
  5. We named our third child after a Scottish reggae singer-ach da noo, Mahn! we still play the music on his birthday each year.

    Can we all come to the public speech and pretend to not know you but then applaud wildly in a spontaneous outburst of appreciation? They will be astounded by the ability of such a novice to sway the emotions of an audience and, by gum, you'll be the Bob Marley of the Brisbane law scene!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have such an exciting cross cultural cacophony going on! I'd be terrified if I had to "public speak" but I know you'll be fantastic whatever topic you choose.
    Guess what, I have Doc Martens too! no lie.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm curious about the Finnish reggae...

    I hope to "meet" you in person someday - that would be a hoot.

    So whatever you chose to present in your speech, could you make a video of it?

    Good luck! Have a great weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. you speak publicly on here all the time, you'll do fine! Finnish Reggae is something I NEED to check out, it blows my mind just thinking about it. Also, Doc Martens are always cool.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Zigsma,
    I completely forgot Jim's speech! That's the precise speech I'll give. Hoorah!

    Annie,
    I'd appreciate a cheer squad, but really expect stunned silence.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Can't wait till you'll all invade our humble house - remember it might all depend on your
    speech! It's funny seeing you in sweaters and scarfs - is it really THAT cold?
    Doc Martens is the best ever - I have them too.
    Hope I'll be ebale to comment properly now, and you might try to add me to your list again!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's great to hear of your latest trip.
    I have a huge line in front of me so I'll probably catch up with Pam later when the crowd goes home for lunch.
    I have a sorry tale to tell about a totally wasted day delving physically, into the mysterious depths of the holy site - viz. Ikea!
    I was looking for revelation and found only millions of people with huge SUV's and huge trailers attached to their huge SUV's.
    They then descended, ahead of us, in to find the elusive Grail.
    I came up with a plate of cold questionable Swedish meatballs which are still with me repeating very nasty afterburner tastes from my delicate gastro-intestinal track.
    A true downer Saturday as I fruitlessly sought the bed of my dreams for the hinterland cottage.
    I had the husband there of course, so I should have known better.
    Take it from one who has learned the hard way.
    Shop alone or use a catalogue.
    Your speech will be a doddle.
    Just pretend the audience is the kiddies and you're calling them in for a bath. You voice at least, will carry to the back row.
    I Finnish with all kinds of good luck wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hope your speech goes well - or at least okay?!

    (have updated 5 yrs Between with our news)x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Pammie is the best!! Good luck with the speech. My son listens to Finnish heavy metal will have to ask him about the reggae. Have a lovely Sunday, xx Katherine

    ReplyDelete
  14. hihihi! for sure it would be lots of fun if you do one of the above mentioned instead of the public speech. and fun is not a bad thing.
    finnish reggae? do you have some link to share with us?

    ReplyDelete
  15. DMC, You have broken the first commandment of the book of Ikea- thou shalt never enter its lower intestinal tract on a week-end or public holiday. Thus endeth today's lesson.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That Pam is rubbish!! She didn't even put a label on the marmalade for you! Slaack!!
    Pam x

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think an entire speech on Ikea in Finnish should do the trick. They will all be completely confounded and would not dare to ask questions. Best of luck.melx

    ReplyDelete
  18. That is an excellent mono! I think that word had relegated itself to the back of my brain twenty years ago.
    How lucky to have your own bowling green. I look at one often. We never play as no kids under 12 on the greens. Crazy people.
    I hope your speech went well. Pam is so beautiful; I want to take photos like her one day.
    Definition of manic: dress child, lunch packed, find shoes (which we need to find daily), off to school and it's a pupil free day. Today.

    ReplyDelete