Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Brown crockery, books worth reading, shop owners who confuse me.

This is my favourite coffee cup set.


It's a design by Jens Quistgaard. I'd use it all the time if I wasn't so worried it may get chipped or broken.


Books. Do you keep every book you read? 


I've tried cutting down my books to a core collection of decent titles. Any book, of which I can't remember the plot, I've culled.


I just took my personal slave to a Mid-Century store. Everything we looked at was either 'not for sale', part of a 'personal collection', 'somewhere else, but I don't know where ... ' or 'that bowl is worth $600 so I shouldn't really have it out on display'.

I think the owner wasn't particularly impressed by me, nor impressed by my interest in the shop's wares. Admittedly, I was just browsing.

And I wouldn't go back if it wasn't that the shop had such great stuff. I'd love to show you it all. Maybe I'll give it a second go sans child.

8 comments:

  1. Ridiculous! Do these people not want us to love their wares in the bosom of our family homes. They can keep 'em. You could open your own bric a brac store anyway. I'll come!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I know the shop you're referring to...if it is the one I think it is, don't take it personally as I think they do it to everyone!!
    And use that cup and saucer. It was made to be used. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Annie,
    this wasn't bric-a-brac. This shop owner had the goods. I'll go back next week without Martha.

    BM,
    shame because my eyes were popping out of my head. Such fabulous Danish stuff, but none of it seemed to be for sale!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have touched on another one of the things that super annoy me.....yes another one! I never understand the " personal collection" piece in shops...it is a shop after all and not a museum. It is a giant wank...yes I used that word but there is no other word that adequately sums it up. I also hate it when people frown on children who are shopping...let the poor things touch things for Pete's sake.! I don't keep books...strange given that I have a double major in literature. If I really want toread something again I buy it. If I can't remember a line or phrase etc I google it and so on. Any books I buy I pass on with a not to be returned but passed on policy. They take up too much room in my tiny house.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What kind of shop was that? Vanity or shopping!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Honey, you need to shop next door & do a Pretty Woman moment & go back with bags filled & say "i was here yesterday, remember me, you wouldn't serve or sell me anything, big mistake, HUGE" & FYI i've never even seen the movie, but i know that scene. I just say loudly to my children "please don't touch anything, i don't think that sales assistant likes children" & totally throw them. Love Posie

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the look of your personal slave. Let me know when you don't need her any longer :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. no, I don't keep every book I read. I have little space, little storage, and there are a few things I hate more than a book that was a let down. I usually give them away or if they were really bad, I recycle them.
    Can I borrow your personal slave?

    ReplyDelete