Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Mustard, brown and a bit of orange


If I was the proprietor of a Kindy now-a-days, there'd be a strict dress code. Kids could only come to Kindy if they were wearing horizontal stripes, brown sandals, mustard yellow t-shirts and either denim or corduroy.


Who else is into One Direction? We are. In a Big Way. Catchy, cute little buggers.





I can't shake my fixation for brown crockery aka the 'Ruska' range by Arabia of Finland.  I mentioned this to one of my friends the other day, and she thrust this piece of brown Wedgwood into my unexpectant arms and told me she wasn't going to take 'No, I couldn't possibly' for an answer.


Part of my packing to move requires an unflinching dedication to culling. I've been throwing away piles of magazines, but have been tearing out the good bits. I'm somewhat influenced by this eclectic Spanish-type apartment in New York. There's a red Bitossi bull, with nostrils flared, up there ...


And check-out that copper table. Really. Martha and I'd be dragging that out of there under the pretense we had to leave all-of-a-sudden due to someone we didn't know suddenly calling our names from Central Park across the way ...

(Images from Vogue Living Mar/Apr 09)
Terracotta planter. I know. It's akin to a brown-toned heaven.


Inspired, I have begun my own Spanish-styled arrangement which is a work-in-progress. I salvaged the table from the garage. The Landlord told me that Grandad bought it from a service station in the mid-70s. It used to have cow-hide stools, which we used to sit at, but they're now gone.


Do you like this Danish vase? I do.


And because you're all desperate to know where my true design yearnings lean, well it's towards the brown brickedness of the 60s and 70s.


(Images Houses Issue 82)
 Earthenware, bricks, brown tiles, brown crockery and the occasional perspex monkey. 
That's where it's at.

Questions?

22 comments:

  1. So much gorgeous stuff to look at! I keep scrolling back to check out that stacked stone fireplace. I love those things. And I WILL have a Bitossi bull or horse one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dana, you WILL have a Bitossi bull or horse. (I prefer the bulls). That's positive thinking!

      Delete
  2. I like all your things. The perspex monkey looks mighty cute. And which little tike were you in that Kindy photo? Second row? xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very warm, Brismod. Very warm. I do love a perspex primate.

      Delete
  3. Nope, no questions. You know Eastern Europe is SO BEHIND the 60s and 70s vintage brown brickedness fad (in many places - still in the middle of the original wave), that reading your blog and your current interior aspirations is totally thrilling for me!! So outside the square! Especially that copper coffee table(cough, cough)... and terracotta planter be damned, did you see those wrought iron owls in fireplace???!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you like the owls? I think they're cute. I like the rug. Latvia needs to step-it-up!

      Delete
  4. I remember seeing the Baudish house in a mag and at first I thought it was your new abode and I was insanely jealous (and pleased for you too, of course) Now I know it's not yours I'm really disappointed. It would be a wonderful house to live in, but you (we) can still dream and hope, can't you (we)...
    I love the Danish vase and the matador print and your old school photo, don't think I can find you though...is that you in the back row, fourth from the left?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kylie,
      Yes, I can forgive you for thinking anywhere I'd live would feature in an interiors magazine! Ha. One day. Maybe. If the sky falls in.

      I'm the kid with her name on her t-shirt. I loved that shirt. I may get another printed.

      Delete
  5. That kindy photo is awesome! Every fashion is want-able. Amazing how all the girls have the same hairstyles! (and none of the kids look happy!) Probably all smacked within and inch of their lives to stay still for the photo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bec, I thought the funniest thing was the fact no one was smiling! For some reason I have another Kindy photo for the same year, but different locale. Maybe the teachers weren't happy with the whole 'bare-floored-institution-look' and decided to give it another go.

      Delete
  6. First question:

    Why must packing always involve sorting through old photos and letters? (And magazines.)

    Second question:

    Do you like brown bricks, tiles, crockery etc. as much as I do?

    Third question:

    Are you in the second row in a white t-shirt?

    (I love the prints on the wall - can we see the second locale kindy photo?) That was another question, wasn't it? So was that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, and Harry's my favourite. With Liam coming in second.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Zigsma, you're hot!

    And I don't know which is my favourite. I love them all!!

    So many questions ... I'll have to scan that second photo now.

    PS That's Jason Cunningham waving in the first row.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Baudish house: I would like to have the exterior of it, but inside I would like lighter colors. My cottage has got dark brown terra-cotta floors, and light is so poor sometimes I feel like Stevie Wonder. Oh, Stevie Wonder is on the radio as I type!
    EWAN MC GREGOR!!! EWAN MC GREGOR!!! ( just to see if it works with him too, and he appears at the door. Not.)
    I have only one question : one Direction. What's that?

    ReplyDelete
  10. We were all so damn cool back in the 70's!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Curly Pops, we were. We were.

    (PS We still are!)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your kindergarten picture....and I love the old brick also , Have you told us and I missed it , as to where your moving to? somewhere completely different?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fifth from the right, second row? I like those owls in the fireplace.

    ReplyDelete
  14. i want my future kids to attend your future kindy.
    oddly enough, i just heard about one direction today! i'm watching the voice on a music television channel and they keep running a promo for them. they are cute little buggers, lol

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the kindy photo, check out how many kids had bowl cuts, no wonder they all look tortured. And the peter pan collars? and the kid far right is that a medallion or a front shirt zipper? The colour palette is however, perfect. melx

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm all over the owls and the Danish vase! You can keep the brown pottery and one direction!
    I teach teenagers , I'm still getting over the bieber craze!
    Love the interior pics, keep them coming!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I picked you straight away with your hands on your knees/sticking it to the man expression. What a cute kindergarten lot you were. Those floral prints and stripes!
    I like brown pottery. You'd be sad to visit my 60's brown brick house; as they've all been painted inside and out.

    ReplyDelete