The one good thing about moving is that you get to go through everything with the figurative fine-tooth comb.
And get things fixed which have been languishing for years ... such as this patio furniture ...
Which I'm going to bring to a powder-coater, and get him to spray them white like they once
were.
My MIL gave us a whole swag of boxes, and threw in some home-grown figs for good measure.
So while I looked up 'Lizard Relocators' in the phone book, I had a restorative cup of tea and one of the best tasting pieces of cake I've had in ages.
Fin.





Mmmmm....That cake looks amazing...so glad you enjoyed it. xx
ReplyDeleteOh wow - those figs look amazing!
ReplyDeleteLove them baked with a drizzle of maple or honey, and ice cream.xx
Yes, I was wondering what was going to happen to the lizards! Love the figs - such a good looking fruit, I reckon.
ReplyDeleteKeep a close eye on Martha. She could end up packed, racked and stacked!
ReplyDeleteMMMC Yummy cake!
ReplyDeleteIt's true, moving is an excuse for a good cleanse, isn't it? But I don't think I could go through another move unless it was the mid century dream house. xx
Oh I'm going to miss the lizards!!
ReplyDeleteI've never eaten a fig, dare I say it. Can I please come round for coffee?
ReplyDeleteCake looks great, you obviously had some time out! good luck in all this heat, whenever your enthusiasm is waning just think of escaping the avocado wall. melx
ReplyDeleteBlogging makes me realize I am a very poor time manager and I always thought I was ok... Baking in the middle of moving ... You are a true domestic goddess. It looks so good. My niece is getting a blue tongue for her birthday she is very excited I will have to show her yours.
ReplyDeleteOh and have you thought about black for the set instead of white. Black ones have been popular of late and can look very classy.
ReplyDeleteI love figs. Fresh, dried...in figgy pudding.
ReplyDeletep.s. I have no idea what figgy pudding tastes like. It just poppped into my head.
Oh. And I've always had a bit of a thing for those outdoor settings. Yours will look much nicer in white x
ReplyDeleteyour fig cake looked so delish and your right about moving even your house gets fixed up when you move...things that were on your honey do list for years....
ReplyDeleteI looked up fig cake recipes and noted they were all from Australia. I hope you drank a restorative cup of Canadian tea with it. Looks yummers! I bet Martha is super organized.
ReplyDeleteI've never had figs. I always found packing a really daunting task. May the force be with you and your family during these trials. Also, can't you catch your lizard and take him with you?!?!! He'll miss you and your bananas :)
ReplyDeletePam,
ReplyDeletethe cake is really one of the best cakes I've ever tasted. I don't think that had anything to do with my ability, more the recipe. Delish.
Jennie,
I wish I'd known that before I threw the extras in the compost bin! I'll remember that next time. Thank you.
Mook,
I think the lizards will have to stay. I haven't seen them for a week. I think they're trying to make the break-up easier on me.
Annie, she does get into boxes ... just like that book, "My cat likes to hide in boxes" ... I should fish that out.
SarahB,
I'm going to miss the lizards too. How ridiculous.
Mel,
good advice. The new place has funky tiles. I keep thinking of them.
Katherine,
I'd love to see a photo of your niece and her lizard. I did think black for that furniture, and I know what you mean, but I googled 70s outdoor furniture and a lot of it was white. So I really want to return it to its 70s kitschness.
Kylie, you know I'd never actually thought of the words 'figgy pudding' but now they make sense. Figgy pudding.
Polkadot, when we sold our first house, a few years ago now, it never looked so good. I almost wanted to keep it!
Deb, Martha pulls everything out. 'twas a strong Canadian brew.
Laura,
There are about four or five lizards which I see regularly. I can tell them apart by their size and their tails. I couldn't seriously take them with me, as they have their little abodes here. I just worry they may get hurt when the new owner renovates. But, that's life.
I've just caught up with a stack of your posts that had somehow escaped my notice. Good luck with the move. I sometimes think we should move, just to tidy up. But then I start hyperventilating, and I figure we'll just visit people who've moved occasionally, and breathe in their new, organised, lives. And that is my wish for you, clever clogs. And isn't it amazing how our little babies have become little girls right in front of our eyes. I'm drinking it in and missing it already.
ReplyDeleteOh figs. I love them. It means it's summer if they are around. We have figs trees at the farm, but they are not very sweet. I'll miss the lizards. And I really believe you must be a superwoman. Super-super.
ReplyDeletecabbage patch dolls! i had one!
ReplyDeleteoh memories...
and you are moving? where to? when?
i just helped my sister to move her house this weekend. wow, lots of work. better get that reducing business going before. and indeed a great chance to actually do it.
thanks for the jokes, i needed a giggle, perhaps one of these i will actually manage to remember (i suffer the same problem)
how about this one: two snowmen are standing on a field on a wintery day. suddenly one snowmen turns to the other snowmen and says 'hm, do you also think it smells like carrots?'
that really made me laugh, hahaha, but i am silly yes i admit!