First sign of hell - Birds where they shouldn't be.
Don't let my eldest tell you she wasn't thrilled that, shortly after this photo was taken, this bush-turkey shat all over her pillow. Don't let her tell you she wasn't happy about that.
Second sign of hell - Boxes where they shouldn't be.
Don't let me tell you there aren't boxes everywhere. There are boxes everywhere.
Don't let me tell you there aren't boxes everywhere. There are boxes everywhere.
Though I found a book that sets about challenging the paradigm that they're boxes.
It's been dedicated to us.
Basically, its dictum is simple.
It espouses that just because something is brown, corrugated and shaped like a rectangular prism, doesn't mean it's necessarily what everyone else thinks it is.
So what may look, to the masses, like a box, is actually a racing car ... or a mountain ...
Or a room full of Danish furniture and indoor plants and wonderful rugs with great Modernist artwork adorning the walls ...
... or Danish teak wall units filled with Scandinavian and Italian earthenware ...
... and below is a walk-in wardrobe in our new two-storey warehouse apartment in Manhattan with my moped parked outside.












This is an incredible post! Even in the teeth of a hellish move you've still got your sense of humour and can still photograph a mucky bird. There is hope. Best of luck with the move -- and I bet I'm not the only one eager to see where you move TO. X
ReplyDeleteOh that is just hilarious. Every moving company should include that 'not a box' book to stressed out mothers moving house. And revelation; I never knew there was such a thing as a box which hangs clothes...amazing! xx
ReplyDeleteLike your moped, especially. And I'm on the prowl for Not a Box. Must have.
ReplyDeleteThat book is a firm favourite in our house! Love it.
ReplyDeleteOh dear, your stress is palpable! ( i think thats what i mean)
ReplyDeleteYou poor thing. And that bloody bird...
I'm really not sure what to say! But can I congratulate you on the fact that all your coat hangers are facing in the same direction. I think that's an impressive achievement considering what you're contending with :) And I know you'll forgive me for skipping over the post with the reptile in it x
ReplyDeleteOhh I like the look of that book. The saying 'a bird in the bedroom is better than 2 in the bush' doesn't really apply here!
ReplyDeleteLove it box lady! Have a drink. Then have another. Then stop.
ReplyDeleteha! that pic of your kids in the boxes is a crack up, as is this whole post. There's a kiwi phrase I like, "happy as a box of birds" which comes to mind, hope your all as happy as them birds in your new place x
ReplyDeleteLove it. Long day here and needed a giggle.
ReplyDeleteTake care.
xx
I feel so much better about my life after reading this post ( and your very kind and helpful comments over at Betsy's). While I am in the ground floor lobby of hell you appear to be perhaps in Basement level 3 orange ( if hell is remotely like the myer centre carpark). Mind you my kids would be in heaven turning all those boxes into individual themed rooms in their dream house.May the force REALLY be with you. melx
ReplyDeleteOh dear, I feel your pain, and totally appreciate your sense of humour in the face of such adversity. Box on!
ReplyDeleteOh. my. goodness. Hope your move goes smoothly!
ReplyDeleteAnd since we're having so much fun with our imaginations here... maybe that enormous bird just left a mint on the pillow.
Oh my! If your Big Girl doesn't develop ornithophobia with that incident, nothing will ... well except perhaps a trip to St Marks Piazza Venice with a bag of bird feed in your hand ...
ReplyDeleteAnd simply, moving sucks! I share your pain.
You are too funny! I love the box children, or the race car children or whoever they are. That bird! Unbelievable. Throw a banana at it. Love your Manhattan apartment. Get a move on!
ReplyDeletexo
Like a vultura!
ReplyDeleteBut I love Snoopy on the wall!
Dear Carmel,
I hope you know in which box your sweet kids are...?!
x Ariane.
My goodness. I had a bird in the kitchen the other night. A noisy miner. I thought it's droppings everywhere were stressful enough let alone a monstrous bush turkey decorating my pillow! Holy hell indeed! I hope you've both recovered.
ReplyDeleteI'm seeing your kids in those boxes and thinking that may be the easiest way to move said kids ... leaves the back seats free for more valuable goods like lizards and scrub turkeys ...
ReplyDeleteThree babes in a box...did you seal them up and send them on their way? Should I be expecting a package in the mail? Poor you, all that packing. Hang in there.
ReplyDeleteI'll take good care of them. Send for them when you're settled in.
I am glad to see that your big box promises a 'quick. easy move', hope the small boxes will be just as helpful.
ReplyDeleteLove that walk-in wardrobe, and the little 'trolls' in their boxes. Hope you haven't packed all their clothes :)
Lilli x
oh, i don't envy you your bush turkey and bed linens! but those three in their own little boxes? now, that's precious! hmm, but come to think of it, you'd think those darlin's would be outside of the box, just like their mama!
ReplyDelete