Tuesday, July 6, 2010

The Velveteen Rabbit

Look what I found (on the internet) while listening to the 4xChilds fight among themselves.
 
Here is his maker.

It's a velveteen rabbit. He looks exquisite. He is made from soft ivory mohair and cotton velveteen.

And he's stuffed with pure lambswool. That's how toys should be made.

Maybe you know the book?


I got this in Grade 2 when I was seven. If you know it, you'll know what a wonderful story it is.

This book is also a bit similar ...



Their similarity does not just lie in the fact their central characters are rabbits ... no, it's more than that.

Three Readers, I'd sit you on my knee and read them both aloud to you, but I can't.

Both stories cause me to stop reading for long periods of time, and then I emit loud and embarrassing sobs, which is somewhat baffling and uncomfortable for all concerned.

Read them yourselves.

5 comments:

  1. I think that it is just so sweet how your mum saved all your lovely toys and books from your childhood so that your kids can play with them and enjoy them now. It must make her really pleased to see them getting a second life with her grandchildren. It is just such a nice thing - I don't think many people would have this opportunity.

    I just found your blog through a friend and really enjoy it.

    K.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi-Ho K,
    (that's my greeting to new Readers - I'm trying to be friendly without seeming overly desperate).

    I have to apologise. I think I may have led you up the proverbial, crazy-paved, garden path.

    I came across the stuffed rabbit on the internet! Unfortunately, I didn't grow-up cuddling the precious fellow. I only had the book and, after reading that at night, I'd sob myself to sleep.

    We really only kept the Fisher Price stuff ... that's why I'm flogging it so shamelessly! I have no other material. I think my father's happy it's no longer taking up room in his shed.

    I have edited the post so I don't confuse anyone else.

    Yours in clarification,

    ReplyDelete
  3. The rabbit is lovely. I cannot read those stories because I just cry unbecomingly. It's not pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I love that story and often give it together with a velveteenish rabbit to friends who have new babies. It is definitely a weeper along with Fizz's death scene in Seven Little Australians - poor India.

    M-L

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Ho M-L,
    I don't think I've given you the official welcome. I haven't read 7 Little Australians for years, and have forgotten the story-line. Did a tree fall on someone? I will have to get a copy for Child 1.

    ReplyDelete