Geoffrey Rush as Australian of the Year?
You've got to be joking.
The Husband is shocked. I'm shocked. But honestly ... all those other people in the running.
The Morcombes. Mrs Morcombes' eyes. What they've been through. What they now do for children ...
Then there was the child advocate? And the GP who helps Aboriginal children
Even the Tasmanian Greenie would have made a difference. And an accolade from Cate Blanchett? You're kidding me.
The Husband thinks I would have 'booed', had I been there. I would have booed.
Did I mention I smashed my car today? Cranky.


I have no ideas who this couple is, but I can tell you I like a lot Geoffrey Rush! But this doesn't mean he deserves to be Australian of the Year, of course.
ReplyDeleteHow severe is the damage to you car? Did you get hurt?
You sound very cranky! I see your point but I have to admit I enjoyed his thank you speech, comparing arty types to spiders. Funny I thought.
ReplyDeletePoor you and your car. As someone who still has whiplash symptoms 2 years after an accident (hit by a truck) you have to be careful. Ok? See a doc if you have any twinges.
Yeah sucks big time. Sorry about Geoffrey as well.
ReplyDeleteOh you poor thing. How bad was it? Are you okay?
ReplyDeleteBobbi,
ReplyDeletethe Morecombes are the parents of a 13-year-old boy called Daniel. Daniel was abducted from a bus stop in 2003 by someone who is now facing court for his murder. Since his disappearance, his parents have fought for the search for his remains, and continue to teach school children about stranger danger.
In my eyes, Geoffrey Rush is just an actor who gets paid a lot of money to ply his craft.
SarahB,
I'm okay. No injuries. I backed into a concrete bollard in a carpark while yelling at the children to stop their inane screaming. More cranky that I didn't see the pole. I didn't even listen to Mr Rush's speech, I was so furious!xo
Kerry,
I can't understand it. All those valid causes. I know people will scream 'But the Arts!' Child welfare wins out for me.
Jane,
ReplyDeleteI'm okay. Just dented the car. Cranky. Cranky. That's all. I know it could have been a lot worse.
Aaaggggghhhh hope you're ok after the crash!
ReplyDeleteAs for the other thing.... speechless.
Yeah sucks big time. Sorry about the car as well.
ReplyDeleteWhat a joke! (Not the car bit. That's no joking matter.)
ReplyDeleteJ Rush scares me.
ReplyDeleteI'd be more than cranky if I smashed the car. Stink!
Ridiculous. Sorry about the car.
ReplyDeleteeek, sorry to hear about your car! Scarlett x
ReplyDeleteYour so funny the kids smashed my favorite lampshade rough housing but the car would make me cranky!!! who am I kidding the lampshade made me cranky!
ReplyDeleteDon't get me started!
ReplyDeleteWhy is everybody in the world pre-occupied with actors? What is their contribution? I guess at least it wasn't another of our 'legendary, awesome, sports super-heroes' (very un-Australian of me I know).
It makes me sick.
And as for inane screaming kids ... don't get me started!
Well I did thoroughly enjoy his witty and beautifully delivered speech, but I am also saddened that the Australian of the Year is simply somebody doing their job, albeit rather well. Where is the role modeling in that for others to inspire them to give back to the community? Selflessly? That is what we should be honouring - the quiet achievers who don't pursue publicity for themselves, yet help others.
ReplyDeleteI wouldn't have booed, but we had exactly the same discussion about this at our house. Geoffrey Rush may be a very fine actor (although I haven't seen any of his "work") but Australian of the year? hmmmm, I'm not so sure...
ReplyDeleteKylie,
ReplyDeleteno, I really wouldn't have booed. And, in reality, a title isn't that important is it? If one does good or charitable work, then one doesn't need a 'title' to have that work validated.
MMMC: I think when a vocation involves some sacrifice maybe there is a little more need for recognition and thanks. I think ol' Geoff gets his fair share of adulation and money already. That photo of the Morecombes is heart breaking.
ReplyDeleteI dinged the car yesterday to reversing at the new school on a bus run of drop offs in the bucketing rain into a pole. Didn't even get out to inspect the damage! It matches the unfixed contact covered tail light.
I love Geoffrey Rush and his irreverence BUT I'm a bit unsure with actors, sportsmen, entertainers, etc being chosen as Australian of the Year. I suppose though their successes reflect how the nation is feeling from time to time or what national pride they evoked for us e.g. Cathy Freeman, Hoges, etc but I would prefer those who are mostly unknown in the community but who do big, BIG things for the advancement of our nation & others e.g. Tim Flannery, Ian Kiernan, Fiona Wood. I didn't know the Morcombes were finalists & had it been a public vote, I'm sure they would have won hands down. I agree ... those eyes. They make me so, so sad. Sorry about the car too ... so bloody inconvenient!
ReplyDeleteMMMC you sent me on a bit of an AOTY tangent. This is where I went - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Australian_of_the_Year_Award_recipients
ReplyDeleteThere have been some interesting choices over the years. i.e. Alan Bond. It must have been surreal being in jail thinking "but I was an Australian of the year".
Agree, the Morcombes were sentimental favourites & worthy winners for Qld, i think they will do amazing things regardless of the national title. An actor?? They act!! Love Posie
ReplyDelete