Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Goulash, baby lizards and Lego

Right now, someone is driving around my 'hood using a loud-hailer to announce that "Water is off for the next 30 minutes. Water is going off". It's all very Eastern Bloc. And I should know because I'm reading Hungarian Literature.


The Hungarian Literature, which has been conveniently translated into English, is all about some aged parents who send their hideously ugly daughter away for the week, and once she's out of their grey hair, they start to Live. The. Life. Lots of theatre and dining at restaurants and gossip about High Society. The description of food is so good that I've been inspired to make a slow-cooked goulash with herb dumplings tomorrow for dinner.


Before the Hungarian tome, I read this one. It's a cracker, and one of the best books I've read. Come on Philip. Dump Mildred once-and-for-all. Everyone knows she's a soul-sucking, social climber who's not worth all the sexual masochism and, anyway, she'll always despise your club-foot.


Babies are abound on the ground at the moment. This big-eyed fluffy thing is a baby bush turkey. Can you believe how cute they start out? I can't really use the high-pressure hose on that one, can I?


And, under all the leaves and fruit bits, is a BABY BLUE-TONGUE! It's hard to catch on fillum because it keeps scarpering away. I'm beside myself with pride. I estimate it's about four-to-five inches long.


Another baby.


Not sure what to do with your old, frayed towels? Well, you could throw them out, or you could sew them into bath mats, like I did after I absorbed this book

I like the bath mat so much, I'm going to make another one.


Thanks to Christmas and the holidays, there's toys all over the house. It's making it hard to keep the house "magazine ready". (You never know.)


Most of it's Lego.



Some of it's not Lego.


Some of it's just an orange plastic bowl from West Germany which has proven perfect for handing around festive Cheezels.


17 comments:

  1. I knew you wouldn't stop at 4. We are thrilled to hear of your new addition to the family MMMC. The small lego extension in the back yard should prove most useful as a lizard nursery. We should have thought of that year's ago!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really am feeling the lizard love. Keep trying for a blue tongue baby photo please. He/she will need a name. Maybe you could host a naming comp?
    Xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Baby Scrub Turkey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Total cuteness.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the modernist Lego, I know I should know the name of it's architect but at the mo, it escapes me...too much sun, too much wine!
    (I'll hit publish and it'll come to me!)

    And I love, love, LOVE Somerset Maugham. And the cover of your copy. This is completely unrelated, but have you read The Magus by any chance? It's a great read and you might like it.

    Love Cheezels (even though I've always thought they smell like sick!) and I really like your bathmat too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No one mentioned your German plastic orange bowl. It's grouse ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Respect for the bath mat, it's lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You always have the coolest things......except lego's I know it sounds crazy but not a fan....I stepped on way to many of those in the middle of the night! I love the poodle and the bowl and the orange one is so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your towel bath mat,
    dear Carmel!
    And yes, I'll do it the same. Eventual I'll have an extra long mat in front of the bath tub.

    'Magazine ready' with kids? No way, not with me or I'll be close to a nervous breakdown. Thats why I *look* in those mags: its holiday for my eyes. Later I try to keep only a corner in the Castle at the Eisenbach as I wanna see it. One should celebrate the tiny anticipation of happiness as you do. Baby blue tongue!
    Wow!

    How long are your, pardon... the kids holidays?
    My have to go back to school at Monday.

    Hugs,
    Ariane.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Annie,
    I woke up this morning thinking "I could catch that lizard", but I think I'll leave nature be, and that means no living in the lego house.

    SarahB,
    if I manage to get a photo of the baby lizard, I will have a baby naming contest. You're a genius!

    Helen,
    yes, they are v. cute and then turn awful. A bit the opposite of the Ugly Duckling.

    Kylie,
    mies van der rohe. I haven't read The Magus, but will look it up on your suggestion. Thank you.

    Mook,
    definitely a grouse bowl. Thank you. Plastic.

    Jane,
    bath mats can be overlooked and under-rated. Thanks.

    Polkadot Heidi, I've heard many stories of mid-night Lego standing accidents. I'm yet to have one. Fingers crossed.

    Ariane,
    I was being a bit facetious about the 'magazine ready' home. I'm not sure what kind of magazine would want to photograph my place. It's a constant mess.

    Kids go back to school at the end of January. They have six to eight weeks off during December to January.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, my goodness. How is it that I never noticed how lovely your floorboards are? Is it wrong to covet thy neighbor's floorboards? I'm going to look it up.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That bath mat has really inspired me, excellent idea! I struggle with keeping my house magazine ready too... Plenty of Lego around on my floor too! That lizard is so gorgeous, we are on holidays in Indonesia and love to sit and watch the very large geckos at night! They are way bigger than ours in Australia! X

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the bathmat and congrats on the baby lizard!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Has anyone else noticed the ceramic poodle looks like he's dragging his bottom??? teehee

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ha! Bec! I did notice that, and was going to say something but thought better of it! Ha. Ha. You're so funny! Glad someone saw that as well!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh how cool is the bowl & yes, not school holidays if you don't rise from a good reading session & impale yourself on Lego. Rather love the impressive 'white house'. Neat bath mat, nice work, long live retro florals!! Love Posie

    ReplyDelete
  16. Good to see you're keeping your Zhu Zhu pet connected with it's Hungarian roots.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I cannot believe that bush turkey baby is so sweet. What's that poodle doing?

    ReplyDelete