Sunday, May 15, 2011

Cold Sweat

The potential au pair wants me to send photos of where she'll be sleeping.


I can't show her this! Stupid, cockamamie idea.

How should I be feeling Martha?

29 comments:

  1. Ah, those were the days :) Another 20 or so years and you'll be right!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, cripes. How does Martha feel about minimalism? Donate it all, except the Marimekko of course.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahh I love seeing photos like these. Normal looking bedrooms... that is normal looking isn't it??!?

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's quite colourful, and full of life. It's well lived in. It's under cover. Protected from the elements. Creatively decorated. A literary hotbed.
    Perhaps you should just send her a letter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh you're so posh now with your Scandinavian au pair.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Momma how I have missed your sense of humor!
    I have had to start over.....so it's still a work in progress kind of like me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Box everything up and hide it. Then see if she's a little messy. Maybe she's afraid the house will be too clean and sterile.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Maybe she'll see that you desperately need her? Well, it could happen that way!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You need the prospect of 4 exams in the space of 8 days, my house has never looked cleaner. Did you know there is actually a floor in the understairs cupboard? I had forgotten it existed until rediscovering it today.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hehe... that's so funny! Cute bed :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Deb,
    I've decided you'll make a good au pair.

    Kerry,
    20 YEARS!?

    Bungalowgirl,
    ebay and I are negotiating sales contracts now. I'm having a CLEARANCE SALE!

    Silver Threads,
    that's not normal. Don't set your pre-maternal standards that low.

    Anna,
    one of my friends said to me, "Well, you don't know what they've come from". So I'm hoping they're coming from the jungles of Papua New Guinea and all this looks novel and exciting.

    Zigsma,
    I am posh. And I like showing off about being posh!

    SarahB,
    It's not that funny in real life. It's dismal.

    Polkasdot, you sound like Heidi! I think you may be long lost Heidi!

    MCM, I'll box it all up, and when she arrives, throw it all back in there and blame her!

    Silly CBC!

    M-L, ah! You are familiar with the pre-exam pretence that all is okay/procrastinate like there's no tomorrow syndrome. I know that well, and am about to embark on some serious procrstination myself. Good luck with those four exams. You're still a wonder woman.

    Hello Miss MollyCoddle.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have four slaves...oops I mean children. Get them working to pick up that stuff. In the meantime, download a photo of someone's bedroom on the internet and send it to the au pair. Once they're in the country, there's no going back, surely?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have taken a very similiar photo of my sewing room, but haven't quite worked up the courage to post it on my blog yet... I fear someone might feel the need to contact the authorities!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ha! I relate. It looks like we had a Barbie suicide bomber in one of our rooms. There is toy carnage everywhere, and why I ever bother to fold clothes, when they're also scattered all over the floor.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Kick everything under the bed and hang the marimekko all the way to the floor. Take a photo and sort the rest out later.

    Best of luck with the au pair!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Treat it like a Mary Poppins practical assessment. Will she remain unphased and make everything fly about the room and into a large metaphorical carpet bag or will she adopt the face of horror as demonstrated so admirably by diva Martha? I would like to come and be your au pair for a little rest. The laundry has exploded again.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Welcome to my home! Only 15 years after my little dears left...And stop frightening Martha with the spider. It freaks me out too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Same song, different verse...we're trying to a) move and b) show the house for the current owners. We are 8 people in 1800 square feet. I am DYING. So I feel your pain, MMM-C, and hope that you can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

    ReplyDelete
  19. But hey, that is a Marimekko-pillow. I believe you might spoil that au-pair of yours. Don't you have IKEA down there?

    ReplyDelete
  20. And I see the package was broken. I need to use tape more. Fortunately it sounds as nothing had fallen out of the parcel. I hope you noticed the chocolate had covers with Moomin stickers. To dress up the bed of that au-pair's room maybe. When I was a child I dreamt of a bed covered with stickers.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Send her a photo of what her room could look like if Anna Spiro was contracted to re-design the space.

    Pam x

    ReplyDelete
  22. A picture of a perfect room is far more scary in my opinion!! If someone with four young kids sends me a picture of a perfect room the only thing I can think about is that mother must be Hitler's reincarnation. And i am not going to be the au pair to Hitler's reincarnation.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Carmen! I found you - now I remember your great blog. I emailed you over on facebook to get your address, maybe you didn't get it yet. Reply there or contact me via my blog and send me your address, I'm off to the post office tomorrow so I can send your prize! Thanks. x

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hilarious - but this is exactly how it will look - soon ish with kids :O) Have a great day A x

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh i dream of an au par, truly, not for babysitting but for cooking & driving my children to school & sport, leaving me even more a lady of leisure, while my husband goes off to war. 4 children to 1 mummy??
    Seeing i'm in the middle of making my 4 bedroom house into a 5 with a faux bedroom next to my studio for the high schooler, it leaves room for an au par in the hallway study nook. That's fair?? I'd give them a car to use 24/7. Sorry i should say Alberto my Italian manny. Love Posie

    ReplyDelete