Wednesday, May 11, 2011

A Quick Post - Opinions sought

Just a quick post. I'm interested in what you think. I'll start from the beginning ...

Yesterday, I dropped into a friend's house. There was another lady there too.

Anyway, this friend said to me, "Come and look at my curbside pick-up". (Or something along those lines. My friend always says I misquote her, so I'll keep it vague).

Her curbside pick-up was a pretty groovy old chair with Mid-Century overtones. It was a bit grubby and needs some cleaning, repairs and upholstering. But it had POTENTIAL.

I immediately waxed-lyrical about the fabulousness of the chair and how thrilled I was that she'd found it. I was also slightly excited that she was bringing rubbish home like I do.

It was about now that the other lady to the threesome piped up and said (something along the lines of), "Oh, do you take things from the side of the road?" Now, she said it with a touch of disgust and a smidgen of distaste.

I said (something along the lines of), "Oh yes! I love it!"

But I did suddenly feel somewhat grubby and somewhat fleabitten. I did feel like I should have been shoved outside with a cattleprod and deloused.

What are your thoughts? Is collecting things from the side of the road a bit naff? Is taking other people's rubbish and then living with it somewhat distasteful? A bit trailer park?

There was a point in my life when I think I would have looked down on someone who told me they found a chair on the side of the road. Have my standards dropped?

Your thoughts, either way.

46 comments:

  1. I see absolutely nothing wrong with picking up things from the side of the road. We do it over here all the time and most people are impressed with everyone's finds. "One man's trash is another man's treasure." Don't you dare feel grubby, you hang out with the lot of us don't you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excuse me for jumping in .3 seconds after you've hit "post" with an enormous ramble, but this is a subject dear to my heart :)

    I have recently moved from Braybrook (crummy western suburb of Melbourne) to Belgrave (beautiful leafy eastern suburb of Melbourne). When I lived in Braybrook, I could put virtually ANYTHING out on the curb and people would take it. Also, I listed and got rid of so much stuff on Freecycle (the virtual equivalent of putting it out on the curb).

    Now I've moved to white honky land, I would be interested to see what the curbside pick-up rate would is. Because if Freecycle is anything to go by, it's a little beneath people around here. Things that I have listed here for pickup have had no takers, whereas in Braybrook (with a high immigration rate) everythign gets snapped up.

    But it's a shame about the property "boom". Before Belgrave became a suburb that white honky homebuyers began rethinking as an option, it was a haven for smelly armpitted hippies who would all I'm sure LOVE a curbside pickup.

    Me, my armpits don't smell, but I still reckon picking something up from the curb ROCKS. It gives me this warm communal feeling :)

    I also understand, though, the psychological feeling that what you're picking up is dirty, but I think that's just a weird human thing we do, and can be worked around if you want the item enough :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you serious?! That is disgusting and disgraceful behaviour. YUK!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to get some of the best stuff off the street from posh neighborhoods in Manhattan when I lived in NY. Everyone in NYC does it. Even people with money. Just wipe down everything with disinfectant before you bring it in the home. And don't ever bring in textiles or anything upholstered because they could carry germs and bedbugs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We put stuff outside on our curb quite regularly (a couple of times a year). Good stuff too, usable and still nice (I don't sell them as I feel scabby when I do that).

    I think it's great, in the suburb I live in (Coorparoo) it's very common and I consider it a community minded service. It's nice, in this weirdly disconnected world we're living in.

    So no, not a bad thing to do, quite the opposite. I love vintage stuff and although I don't take things off the curb (I'm usually walking and it's inconvenient) I do trawl 2nd hand shops quite a lot.

    That lady sounds a bit silly and snobby to me ...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't see any point in having those kind of standards... if there's something good that can be cleaned and maybe fixed up, then why not (apart from the fear of arrest...)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, your standards have dropped to the level of reality.
    If you like something for yourself or for your home, who cares if it's on the footpath to be given to someone or in a second hand shop?
    I know a lot of people who insist on "newness" in all they buy.
    If we were all like that, would we have eBay?
    "Newness" becomes second hand as soon as you leave the shop.
    Quality and attraction are my buying or collecting mantras.
    That lady might have a son like old Chippie from the other day .If so, she probably keeps him in a cupboard.
    (I would!!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. we used to call it 'dumpster diving' and did it at every opportunity.
    Most things are turfed simply because it's the easiest way to get of it and often there's nothing really wrong with the item. I fully support 'free-cycling' and think you should feel no shame. I understand when people are concerned about the cleanliness of an item and one does have to use discretion. A used mattress on the side of the road: no. A desk: yes.
    A chewed up couch that smells: no. A chair (no smell) that can be reupholstered: yes.
    Tisk to the snobby lady - she secretly would love to dumpster dive but cares too much what other's would think and has to put on airs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I live in a very wealthy area where people put out some pretty amazing things onto the nature strip. As I am not one of those wealthy folk myself, I always jump at the chance to take something cool home. I don't think it is gross or scabby at all, but I think some of my friends think that I am a bit strange!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well I'll put my hand up as Queen of Naff, although I don't live in a trailer park. I think you needed to remind third person to get with the times; and is she not practicing Reduce and Recycle?
    There are so many blogs out there solely based on this very practice, and they all seem to have very groovy and/or gorgeous homes.
    My opinion - I'm a fan!
    It's also important to remember many countries that do not practice curbside collections, as they do not have the throw away mentality we have.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nah you silly cow :)) (you know that's only a reference to the cattleprod don't you!) Let's look at it from the perspective of the person who put it on the side of the road. Wouldn't they love that someone had picked it up and was going to do something great with it? In fact, it will probably make them jealous that they hadn't seen it's potential! And if they hung around with the likes of you and your friend and were alerted to potential,then they'd probably want it back. And when they themselves did lovely things to it, snobby lady would see it in their home and ooh and ahh. I feel sorry for her that she can't ooh and ahh in anticipation! Consider yourself smart for being able to :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. A brief PS:
    I wonder how she feels about antiques, because no one can claim them as new .
    And their provenance could well have passed through the curbside bit on their way to becoming treasures.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like to think that nothing is beneath me and nothing is beyond me.

    Also thank goodness some people haven't cottoned on to curbside collection - it just means more for the people who are not snobs.

    I endorse recycling. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. There is no difference to buying second hand. Often curbside goodies get a complete makeover and are in more hygienic conditions than your average plane, train, restaurant, yuppy cafe seat. You get the picture. A friend even made the point that most clothes we try on in the store have been tried on by at least one other person and so are no longer scrupulously clean. Cherrie

    ReplyDelete
  15. PS I'm beginning to get a bit excited because our annual collection is in about a weeks time. I don't need a thing but I have a feeling I won't be able to resist a trawl. I am amzed at how many posh four wheel drive mummies are out there doing the same thing too.
    Cherrie

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think it's always a wonderful idea to reuse or recycle someone else's unwanted things ... it's that old 'one person's trash is another person's treasure' idea, and I fully support it.

    In saying that though, I know my attitudes have changed ... in younger days I probably would have been horrified by my current view. Thank goodness for the sense that comes with evolution and growing older.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Tell them to get over themselves. It's just like a hand me down from someone you don't know.

    ReplyDelete
  18. PS. It's like those anti smoking ads that remind people they really want a cigarette. This post made me want to jump in the car and rush to my favourite oppy for the next treasure hunt.

    ReplyDelete
  19. dumpster i meant of course...hihi

    ReplyDelete
  20. i must say, and i hope it doesn't too sound judgmental,
    but the idea that trash is useless, disgusting, worthless is the worrisome part here. especially since people trough out tons of perfectly functioning stuff.

    there is NOTHING wrong with picking up treasures from the street, the opposite! she doesn't know what she is missing out on that lady...maybe take her dumbster diving once???

    ReplyDelete
  21. Before PS. That woman had no imagination, no creativity and NO manners! Doesn't she realise that antique dealers are the primo road side collectors and that a lot of new stuff comes from sweat shops? How unhygienic I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete
  22. To look down on curbside collecting seems to be a little contradictory to current environmental messages and trends- recycle, reduce, reuse. The consumption of only newly produced things would not only lead to the destruction of our planet but also suggests that 'used' items have no purpose or value and we all know that is plain and simply not the case.

    In addition to the obvious environmental benefits, are also the social and financial benefits...I'll stop here or I'll end up writing a 2000 word essay.

    Two words - crazy lady (and I don't mean you!)

    ReplyDelete
  23. No, no, no, upcycling, recyling and reusing is much better than sending something to the tip! Please don't feel flearidden - just send the fleas to that other lady!

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a waste of space she was? Obviously not heard of "waste not want not" .

    ReplyDelete
  25. What are either of you lovely junk rats doing hanging out with someone NOT LIKE US anyway? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  26. There is nothing more exciting than picking up free awesome vintage stuff on the side of the road. I daydream about this kind of thing although curbside collections are pretty much non existent where I live. If the lady doesn't see that (or perhaps she just doesn't see potential in things??), then well, that is just a little sad. Poor lady doesn't know what she is missing out on.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Lucky you, all I can say. Our bastard council has stopped their council clean-up, when twice a year everybody put out their hard rubbish and it made for cruising good times for all the neighborhood. Keep those standards low, I say. It's so much more fun down here.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Didn't she know that recycling is uber-cool and environmentally friendly?
    My stupid council doesn't do the kerbside hard rubbish anymore bah-humbug scrooges.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Some of the greatest things in my house that I get lots of compliments have been along the lines of " WHERE DID YOU GET THAT!!!" and I proudly say..in a alleyway or on a curb ..I always get the response of "Wish I could come across something like that"
    I mean it's a treasure right..X marks the spot nomatter where you find it!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I don't know what people in australia do, but here in Italy they are crazy. People can throw away such wonderful things, only because it's a little old and they don't know how to keep a paint brush in their hands, or because they need to buy somethin new and perfect out of frustrations. I've been living, or better, decorating my houses over other people's frustration all my life. You throw it away I take it in. It doesn't mean we're not classy, we're just more considerate and have an eye that sees beyond the damage and the age. I always say, glue and paint keep my house together. And everytone that get in my house believes i've spent an enormous amount of money to have a house like this. No. It's your garbage.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hahaha! Where do you think all my stock comes from? And that of most antique and vintage sellers? OK, not roadside collections because we don't have that system here. But builder's skips and re-cycling centres are good sources of stock. A painting found in a skip and shown on a TV antiques programme, recently made hundreds of pounds at auction and that's not unusual. But a typical source is car boot sales and - yes - flea markets (marche des puces in France)! At these with 'stuff' just thrown out on the ground beside their vehicles, as well as private sellers, there are dozens of vans filled with the contents of house clearances. In my experience the piles of clothes and linens are usually very clean, often with laundry or dry-cleaning tags. This is because they've just been tipped out of wardrobes and drawers and straight into bin bags, at the house being cleared. As for upholstery on chairs etc. Has your horrified 'lady' never stayed in a hotel? Ssshhh - don't tell her that the upholstery is not renewed on a daily basis. Same for tourist coaches, trains etc. And as for hotel beds - I've been bitten by fleas at a major London Airport hotel as well as a London theatre (those 'plush ' seats). MMMC - no fear. Just keep on keeping on looking for fabulous 'finds' wherever they happen to be.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I'll say it again (thanks Blogger):

    That is disgusting and disgraceful behaviour! How revolting. YUK!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Thanks. There were some good comments. GONE! Lucky there were no award-winning rhymes.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Please don't feel grubby or white trashy about picking up treasure from the side-of-the-road.
    All the cool girls are doing it don't you know!Your friend's friend sounds like a "two bob snob" (one of my Dad's phrases)and I wouldn't lose too much sleep over her opinion.
    Diana Vreeland said "too much good taste can be boring" and she was one classy, stylish lady. So there!

    ReplyDelete
  35. did your comments&post also vanish like mine did? cause i wrote something very clever here regarding the subject. :)

    ReplyDelete
  36. Yes, it did disappear. And yes, your dumbster/dumpster pun was very amusing, Sarapirat!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Go get em, and take refuge in blogland where we all understand where you're coming from (and how to google what to do with the junk we collect/inherit/purchase).
    Funny thing, when I first typed that I wrote 'take refuse' instead of 'refuge'. That's quite witty. Although I changed it because I'm a grammar/typo snob and I wouldn't want you to think I didn't know it was the wrong word to use. Comprende? (See, I'm also quite international - also the wrong word to use but it's been a long day and I'm no theasaurus, let's face it.)

    ReplyDelete
  38. Upcycling baby, one man's trash. While i have only picked up the odd wooden crate with masses of potential from the kerb, i pick up plenty of bargains from Revolve (our second hand tip shop). Nothing a lick of paint or reupholster can't make re-amazing. Now i'm a huge snob but creativity & vision is something you can't learn or buy, it's priceless, that's you. Sure you mentioned "vintage" & wanky quotes like "on trend" or you saw something similar on the cover of Posh Homes magazine, she'd think you were a famous designer.
    I am training my children as they still refer to Op Shops as "dead people's stuff" thanks to their father, not a snob, but ne comprende pas of my upcycling, especially when it takes over HIS garage. Sounds like she was a 3rd wheel, not the centre of attention & just not in OUR world. Love Posie

    ReplyDelete
  39. I've felt this shame too. But the shame should be on them! We should all be doing a bit more of the reuse and recycle. Environment aside, it takes a large amount of skill (which not everyone possesses) to recognise those roadside gems. It's also a fabulous adrenalin rush to find gold. On the side of the road. For free! I say keep up the good work lady. Kellie xx

    ReplyDelete
  40. Well, with my recent posts it would be obvious which side of the fence I'm on. In my mind $$$ = mass produced = boring. You could also use a little reverse snobbery and point out how reusing and recycling is now THE thing to do for a socially and environmentally conscious individual and buying new and matching from Domain is so 90's.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Oh no..your post lost all the comments too...
    Ok, let's comment twice. Basically my house is full of garbage. And it looks great.People can throw away every kind of thing, just because it's a little broken and they don't know hou to fix things. Or because they're frustrated and need to buy as a sedative. I always say I decor my house thanks to other people's frustrations, and that's glue and paint that keeps is together. People come to my place and believe I have spent incredible amounts of money to have a house like this. No darling, it's your garbage.
    So in my point of you, whatever you can get from the street is FINE. Just keep it to furniture though, don't pick up anything else.

    ReplyDelete
  42. If we had curbside pickup here in the country, I would be out with a torch every night picking over the goodies! The trick is to do it with the correct 'jenesiqua' (I wrote it phonetically 'cos as Katherine Hepburn said, "I am piss elegant!") One must conduct the said picking over with the correct carriage, an insolent tilt of the head, a languid gait, a dismissive air. Be cool...I bet Fonzie would pick over kerbside pickings for a new leather jacket. AAAYYYYY!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Antique furniture has had other people's bottoms on it too, is often grotty and in need of a bit of love. The only difference is someone has conned good money out of you for the privilege of all that hard work. Stick to your guns. Ignore the nay sayers.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Go for it!!! When we were kids, it was the most fun time of the year. We went as a family (awwww) to scavenge in the rubbish... Hmm. Anyway, I've been scoping out all the 'inorganics' (as we call them here), and have found some great things this year. My friends and I also furnished a flat one year out of curbside offerings. No bedbugs or anything!! (We were living in Dural, only fancy trash there - like TV's and microwaves [seriously!])

    ReplyDelete
  45. HECK NO! it is not naff!
    times have changed. its the responsible thing to do! snobby people are so wasteful.
    i picked up a couple of falling apart adirondak chairs and a metal table base from Point Piper in Sydney - a little TLC, a fabulous handmade tile top and the group made it into Vogue Living! :)
    just cos you have a bunch of money doesn't give you the right to discard perfectly useful stuff seasonally. At the very least - give it away!
    But i do know what you mean...the flea bit, there is something sort of templeton of charlotte's web about it. I try to counteract it with my shpeel about recycling!
    one big rule tho...if it stinks or has a mysterious stain...i might have to call social services!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  46. I have definitely dumpter-dived for tables and a few other objects. But once a friend got a bed-bug infestation from a freebie in the alley, I had to say no to all cushioned furniture. That was in the US.

    Now in England, I did almost tackle an old man carrying an old wooden ladder to the open mouth of the dumpter. I got it just in the nick of time.

    ReplyDelete