Saturday, May 7, 2011

A Guide for Mothers. On Mothers' Day. Today.


I got this book when I was little. It was published in 1968 and 
reveals the answers of selected New York Elementary School children to the question: "What is a Mother?"

I often refer to it, to remind myself what the hell it is that I should be doing.


Is that right, Libby? Well, I say 'No. No.' to your suggestion.


Damn straight, Ralph.


But what if one or two of them are nicer than the other three or four of them?


A few children? Just a few?


Ouch! Poor Joe. I bet his mother was happy when Child Services turned up at the door shortly after publication of this book.


You heard it Jack. Mothers are ALL EYES!


Chip off the ol' block, I bet you never cleaned a smidgeon. Smarty pants New Yorker kid.


Is that right, bourgeois Nan?


Jimmy's been to our house.


Elliott came over to visit shortly after Jimmy.


I have a Larry.

Happy Mother's Day, Mum. I think you gave me this book.

32 comments:

  1. OO-er our my comment on your earlier blog post crossed with this. Happy Mother's Day - you are an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jimmy has been to our house too!

    Happy Mothers' Day MMMC.

    Take care
    AFW

    ReplyDelete
  3. love it, i think jimmy's been to my house too...have shared this on my FB page :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Mothers Day Carmel! That is such a gorgeous book and how very true. Have a great day!

    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. hahahahahahahahaha!!! Excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh wonderful book, Thanks for sharing. Happy Mothers Day everyone!♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Mothers Day to you Carmel!

    THAT BOOK IS FABULOUS!!XX

    ReplyDelete
  8. how precious! I laughed out loud and read them all out loud to my husband. We don't have kids so we could laugh freely!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know some of those children too. Happy Mothers Day to the bestest Australian mother I know.

    HUGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, Happy Mother's Day all! Hardest job in the world, from my experience.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hester is one wise little fella.
    what a hoot!
    Happy Mother's Day!
    To one keeping - it - real mama down under.
    XO

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is a classic! Kids aren't stupid, are they?
    Happy Mother's Day :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very wise kids there. Love it. Happy Mothers' Day to you too! And ditto to the Jimmy comments. I think Elliott may have spent a bit of time at my house too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mum: Ella, what is a mother?

    Ella: Someone who is helpful and kind...

    Mum: Yes?

    Ella: And funny and beautiful...

    Mum: Keep going...

    Ella: (Sigh) And their heart is attached to your heart ...

    Mum: Yes?

    Ella: And female... Can I watch T.V. now?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hilarious book! I think I married Chip.xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is hilarious! Awesome book Carmel. :) HOpe you have a wonderful mother's day!

    ReplyDelete
  17. A mummy is a wife who looks after children and yells. Bless you Jimmy. If that's the criteria, I'm nailing this gig.
    Happy Day to all.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love it love it love it. Think we should get our husbands to sit our kids down next year and churn out their own version for us. I suspect mine would involve themes similar to Jack and Elliot. I have almost convinced Roboboy that I have a genuine spare set of eyes in the back of my head hidden by all my hair. So many lies flying around over here, I can feel my nose grow daily. Melx Hope you had a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  19. LOL! Nan: You will enjoy a mother. I highly recommend picking one up if you have the means.
    Happy mother's day!

    ReplyDelete
  20. too funny!!

    Happy mothers day Carmel!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Where do you get this stuff!??!! And how do you possibly store it all???!!! Classic book. Will have to ask my kids the question perhaps?

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh thank you...I just passed the test for motherhood! Swell book Carmel and Happy Mother's Day to you!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh my God, I'm feeling caught in the act by these children. And I'm close to ask my children 'what is a mother?' ...or...better not.
    Well, dear Carmel,
    I know for myself that I really try my very best. All mothers do that. Sometimes it works, somestimes not. Our children are the greatest teacher in the world for us. On and on.

    Your four lovely 'Super Troupers' loves you ...accept the gift.

    ♥ Ariane.

    ReplyDelete
  24. oh hilarious!
    a good laugh as a bedtime story, thanks for that!

    i♥my mum!
    mums rock!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thats great! Just asked my 3 year old 'what do mummy's do?'
    He said: "they go on computer."
    When asked for more, he said: "they watch news".
    Hmmm... no mention of hugs or kisses! Have to go smother him in some now!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I do hope your Day was perfect and you got to sit at the head of the table.
    I have developed an unreasonable dislike for Chip.
    He couldn't even think of another insult as #5!
    But he'd already done the damage.
    But, as a wise and discerning Mother, I say ;
    "What the hell, Chippie boy.
    You can belong to someone else now and come up with #5 if you dare!"
    Yes, a well remembered book from the glory days.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hey-hey! This is hilarious. I love it. Thanks also for your comments. They warmed the cockles of my heart. I got hold of the work camera today and tacked a few more shots onto the end of the Norge post. Cheers! M

    ReplyDelete
  28. so sweet and funny! I will never forget the shame when my daughter aged 4 wrote in her day book 'my mummy likes going to parties and lying on the sofa'

    ReplyDelete
  29. gawd thats good!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Oh i love you & i love this!! Why didn't i see it on my mother's day which was sucky, so sucky i did a post about it. One child even went so far as to translate in 2 languages that i was a bad cook. 4 handmade mother's day cards from children letting me know exactly how they feel, i should write a book too. Love Posie

    ReplyDelete