Around about this date 37 years ago, I got:
- Humphrey B. Bear;
- Romper Room paraphernalia to assist in my aspirations to be a do-bee; and
- Bat Girl. Bat Girl had wonderful fire-engine-red hair and she smelt newly plasticky.
1968 Australian home. Some Ruska. Teak furniture. Native Australian gardens. Splashes of Marimekko. Rimini blue Bitossi. 50s, 60s and 70s homes. House plants and succulents. Woody Allen. The occasional appearance by some Solid Gold Dancers. That's what you'll find here. And lashings of chutzpah thrown-in for good measure. Pull up a Suekichi Uchida and make yourself at home.
Oh Carmel, welcome to the big four-oh then! It's an exclusive club and quite entertaining - I can vouch for it ☺. Happy birthday, my friend. J x
ReplyDeleteYes, welcome to your 40's! I so wanted to be on Romper Room & play with the Punch-a-Balls & walk around the room with those plastic baskets on my head "See me walk so straight and tall, I won't let my basket fall. Eyes ahead & don't look down. Keep that basket off the ground." Happy Birthday MMMC!!!
ReplyDeleteAww shucks what a cutie!! You know you actually still look exactly the same...but for the record I'm sure you sit in a more lady like fashion and the hair is neater. Happy Birthday !!
ReplyDeleteHappy Birthday Lady! xx
ReplyDeleteOh you do have a way with words ;)
ReplyDeleteHappy birthday :D
I don't suppose that dress is making a birthday party appearance??
Jane,
ReplyDeleteI'm glad to hear 40 is entertaining. I was struggling to think of any positivages!
LittleMissA-G, I bet Miss Helena never said, 'And I can see Little Miss Air Gap' as she gazed through her magic mirror which we all knew wasn't magic at all and that some producer had just given her a list of dumb names to read off a cue card. I'm not upset though.
OBH, yes, what's with the hands on the undies? Show some decorum, please child.
Megs, I'm glad you're still talking to me.
Helen,
Happy Birthday to you too! The dress is making a birthday party appearance tomorrow night, at an old school-friend's birthday, and I like the idea of being at a birthday party on one's birthday without much expense, or clean up, involved.
Happy Birthday! I am feeling very good about the forties, truly the most empowered and positive I've ever felt. Maybe as fabulous for you.
ReplyDeleteHey, happy happy birthday Carmel...it's my b'day tomorrow too, fancy that! I'm a few years older than you though. Have a lovely day, is that what the crazy dress is for?
ReplyDeletep.s. my Mum tells me I had all that Romper Room stuff too, I can't remember it though so she could be fibbing...
x
Happy 40 Momma......these are the best!
ReplyDeleteloved your sweet picture!
Happy Birthday MMMC!
ReplyDeleteThe best is yet to be
For the lawyer with the C
That rhymes with D
And this poem is going nowhere fast.
xo
Happy, happy birthday you big, ol' 40 year old you! Romper room was my first TV love but they whisked me out West where there was no TV and I mourned for Miss Helena. So clever to do the twin party thing. Then all fresh on Saturday, you will wake up over the hump and ready for a new decade. Please give us a gander at the frock, preferably when your baskets are falling halfway through the evening.
ReplyDeleteHieperdepiep Hoera!!! Some fun Dutch words for your birthday celebration! :-)
ReplyDeleteI love that picture, you look just like your babies!! It's the proof they are really yours.
ReplyDeleteHAPPY BIRTHDAY!! I hope a huge moomin comes to knock at your door with hands full of scandinavian gifts.
Oh, my God! Happy Birthday to you, dearest Carmel!
ReplyDeleteYour kids looks very similar to you, babe... Fantastic genes.
I hope you have got enough air in your lungs for the candles...
All the best for you, hugs and kisses,
Ariane.
Woohoooo!! Happy birthday to you! You beat me by just over a month. 1971 a great vintage!! X
ReplyDeleteI took up running when I turned forty.
ReplyDeleteIt was a toss up between athleticism and alcoholism. Some days I still question my choice.
Isn't forty the new twenty-seven? Or something.
Happy Happy Day to you.
Happy Birthday Carmel!! So that's what you're up to with your fabulous dress. Enjoy yourself. Wishing some mid century goodness your way. xxox
ReplyDeleteHappy Birthday, Ms. MMM-C! Hope it's full of all kinds of good stuff...
ReplyDeletewishing you a happy day, all the best for your birthday! you sure were (are) a cutie-pie!
ReplyDeleteAh yes.
ReplyDeleteI remember it well.
Happy birthday, hope you get some fun stuff this birthday too x
ReplyDeleteHappy Birthday - love Bat Girl - I wonder what Bat Girl would do for her 40th birthday?
ReplyDeleteOh my goodness - I completely forgot to wish you a happy birthday lastnight. I was far too fixated on Humphrey B Bear!
ReplyDeleteHappy birthday and yes 40 is the new 20. Meet you at the Zoo later, or is it the Beat? Actually lets make it Cloudland, the mohitos are fab. You looked like you knew how to party even at age 3. melx
ReplyDelete... I forgot too. Or actually, I thought it was today, so I messed up.
ReplyDeleteNevertheless, wishing you a happy, happy birthday and love through your 40s. It's not bad at all, being 40+, quite the opposite.
Much love from all of us.
xxx
Welcome to the other side oh fellow-71'er. We have been waiting for you.
ReplyDeleteNothing beat the smell of a new plastic toy. You look exactly the same!
ReplyDelete