Whenever my sister visits, Noodle patters up to her and expects to receive one of her ear rubs. He pitter-patters up to her because only she can rub his ears the way he likes.
For Noodle, one of my sister's ear rubs is the equivalent of ecstasy, as he rolls his eyes back and he grunts in poodle satisfaction.
So, this morning, when I kissed his smelly, furry grey head for the last time, and I whispered to him how much I loved him and how sorry I was, that over the years as he got older, he got pushed down the pecking-order by each additional, more boisterous member of the family, I did my best to rub his ears the way he likes.
And then he was gone. I had to leave my grey shadow behind.

Oh no, did Noodle pass away??? Or did I miss-understand? (hopefully) So so sad if I didn't though...
ReplyDeletegawd, life is full of bumps and bruises. i'm so sorry. just know, that noodle most likely wouldn't have had it any other way. i'm sure he loved your growing family like all good dogs do. sending much love to you and yours.
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry for you and your family, dear Carmel,
ReplyDeleteall the best for you all.
Love, Ariane.
Oh, Carmel a loving tribute to a loving friend. I've been thinking of you all day.
ReplyDeletexxxxxxxxooooooooooo
The sweetest, saddest photo.
ReplyDeleteOh, Noodle, I am sad to see you go. Although I often prefer dogs to people, I believe you had the very best around you, big and small. I will be practising those ear rubs, till we meet.
ReplyDeleteMuch love on your journey, and much love to your people. Take care, grey shadow.
Lilli
That is a beautiful photo. Sad moments but he had a lovely life with your loving family. Sending hugs.
ReplyDeleteOh Carmel I am so sorry. Poor noodle, he will be so missed. Will be thinking of you and the fam. Xx
ReplyDeleteI am so sorry, Carmel - I'm sure Noodle appreciated all the love and effort you put in to that last ear rub xo
ReplyDeleteWe will all miss the Noodle. He had become something of a turkey chasing, kid wrangling, cuddly old legend.
ReplyDeleteLying there in the arms of the leader of the pack, being kissed by the kids, he looks like he was in a very happy place.
Thinking of you and Noodle and your family over the next few days.
Oh god. Eyes are weeping, nose is tingling. I'm so sorry.
ReplyDeleteNoodle's shadow will follow you for a long time. Goodbye Noodle the Poodle. What a long and wonderful life you had; you will be missed. I'm sure he's chasing birds up in heaven, with two good eyes and a spring in all fours. x
Oh Carmel, my condolences. Poor old Noodle had a wonderful life. I shed a few tears when I read your sad news. No doubt Noodle is happy in doggy heaven.
ReplyDeleteI'd love to give you all a big hug xxx
Sending you heartfelt sympathy in your loss of Noodle. x
ReplyDeleteOhh noodle!! So so sad, one of the hardest things in life saying goodbye to a doggiefriend. Thinking of you, the Mr, and all the kids Carmel!! Big hug!!! Bye gorgeous Noodle!
ReplyDeletebless you!!!!!
ReplyDeletehugs
xo
Noodle , without a shadow of doubt, is the finest person I have ever met in my life.
ReplyDeleteI loved him at first sight in the pet shop.
This love just grew and grew as he turned into nature''s most gentle and loving gentleman.
Everyone who visited became his next friend.
But, his true love was Carmel.
I can't bear the fact that he is with us no longer.
But, not from our hearts. No. Never.
We shall always , privately, keep Noodle alive,as we remember his goodness and his generous love.
God created Noodle for Carmel . God has now taken him home.
I truly believe God needs people of Noodle's character too - a being of total giving with humility.
Vale, my love.
Oh. How terribly sad. He had a good life by the sounds of it, Carmel. Big hugs to you all. xx
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry Carmel. I think you are very brave.
ReplyDeletePoor sweet little guy....This day will break my heart with George....
ReplyDeleteThat's the rotten thing with dogs, they just don't live long enough. They worm their way into the heart and soul of your family, and all along you know this day will come. I'm so sorry, be comforted knowing he had a wonderful life with you.
ReplyDeleteThere is nothing at all that matches losing a much loved pet. He sounds like he was very very loved and what more could a dog want really? melx
ReplyDeleteOh I'm so sorry Carmel. Love to you all. xxx
ReplyDeleteOh Noodle. The same happened in our home too but because you & other doggies like yourself are such loyal family members & beautiful souls, you find your place & keep on loving us unconditionally. Take heart, dear Noodle, in knowing you will always have a special place in your familys' hearts.
ReplyDeleteI am so sorry Carmel, I know that feeling well. I hope you are all doing ok. Megan xx
ReplyDeleteOh a thousand hugs coming your way. I gave my own little black shadow a special hug in memory of Noodle. Lots of love M-L
ReplyDeleteOh this is one of the worst things you have to do in life, but a good lesson to the children none the less. When our beautiful German Shepherd had to be put down, aged 11, our 4 children (then aged 8 to 3) were fantastic, he had a beautiful loving send off & we all kept it together until my husband returned from the vet, alone, & our 3rd girl ran up to him & said "Daddy, you did the right thing" & then we all let it out, bellowing with tears. Love to you, your family & Noodle's many memories, happy photo flash backs & snuggles. Love Posie
ReplyDeleteOh, Carmel. Oh, Noodle...
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry. What a sweet pup.
I'm sending you a giant squuuueze.
Noodle was loved and a lucky, lucky dog for that.
Just popped back in to say I hope you managed to have some fun last night. You and the noodle are not far from my thoughts xx
ReplyDeleteHello everyone,
ReplyDeletethank you for being so sympathetic. I didn't expect that we'd all be so devastated. Having said that, I still managed to go out on Friday night and laugh a lot. And it's nice to be able to put rugs back on the floor knowing an old dog won't wee all over them. And we've already vowed to get another poodle at some point So ...
It's heartbreaking isn't it. Hugs x
ReplyDeleteOh I am sorry. We have lost pets before and it is really distressing.
ReplyDeleteTake care.
So sorry, Carmel.
ReplyDeleteThinking of you and yours- Noodle must have had a great life living with you!!
ReplyDeleteyou know where Noodle is...with Martino. They both had great lives here, now they 'll have greater ones up there. I'm so sorry.
ReplyDelete