Tuesday, September 6, 2011

The sad saga of buying a business suit from Herringbone ... as told by the Herringbone catalogue models


Hello! 

So, you want to buy a navy suit and a skirt? 

We have pinstripes? You don't like pinstripes?



Well, I'll dash downstairs and see if we have a navy suit in your size that's not a pinstripe suit.


Sorry that took me so long. We don't have a navy suit in your size downstairs, but I brought up a pinstripe suit in your size from downstairs. 

That's right, you don't like pinstripes ...



Well, no. We can't get a navy suit in your size because in two weeks this store is closing for three weeks while it gets renovated. 

So we can't possibly get a navy suit. 

You could get a navy suit if you went to Sydney or Melbourne, but in Brisbane? Nope. Impossible. 

Oh, you're miffed. And you're turning on your heels and walking out.

Bye-bye then.


Uh, oh. Here comes that woman who's fixated on getting a navy suit from us. 

I thought we'd gotten rid of her. Pretend we're not talking about her. 

Hello!


 So, you don't believe us when we say we can't get a navy suit and a skirt in your size, that isn't of the pin-stripe bent, into this store in the space of fourteen days?

You want to 'start the ball rolling now' to get your suit, rather than sitting on your tailored-arse doing nothing for five weeks? 

Interesting.


I'll just look at the computer stock-listy thing and see where there might be a navy suit in your size that doesn't come within a whiff of pins or stripes.


Good God! Look! There's a skirt in Chatswood and a suit in Sydney! Right now! 

There they are listed on the computer-stock-listy thing!


I'll see if I can order them. 

Though, I won't do that now. 

I'll wait until you've gone. 

And then I'll ring you on your phone. 


What? I'll have to leave a message at home with your au pair? 

What a coincidence I speak Finnish! How helpful!! 

{** Addendum. Incredibly, the suit has arrived in Brisbane today. It's awaiting my fitting. It's not like it had to be shipped here from Africa. I've had it with poor service. I'm revolting! (Yes, I know how that reads, but I'm sticking with it.)}

21 comments:

  1. ROFLMAO oh so so true of Herringbone. I love them I really do but I don't always want pin stripes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't you just want to draw moustaches and goggly eyes on all those pages. That chiseled man face just needs someone to grip both cheeks in pincer fingers and pull hard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your catalogue dramedies. I think that last photo could be a story all by itself...

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know that if ever we see you in pin stripes we'll know the sales assistant was really good at her job. But that seems unlikely.

    I like that black and white frock in the 4th image though. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is that ensemble with the tied shirt, jacket and undies supposed to be some sort of outfit? What's going on there?
    Good luck with your quest!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brilliant. I love the way it's a workwear catalogue but none of the photos show anything remotely worklike going on. It's the fantasy of the no-work job they're selling, maybe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha! Jane, you are such the-cynic, I love you.

    Precisely, and some poncey ad agency would've come up with the 'story' and have been paid a fortune.

    And SarahB, you can't tell me you don't jump on a trampoline in just your undies and a blazer.

    Actually, why am I shopping there? I hope they're one of those companies that have 'feelers' out and can detect anything that's said about them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yoy go girl. Start the revoltolution. melx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Please wear the bikini ensemble to your first day in court.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Zigsma,
    how you make me laugh.

    I'd wear the bikini ensemble and I'd say, "Your Honour, if it pleases the court, my name is MMMC. Spelt M.M.M.C and I've been instructed by the idiocy that is marketing and I appear for all that is illogical and satirical."

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh how I love catalogue humour! I think perhaps Chiseled Man looks like one of the same chiseled men in the DJ's catalogue I blogged about ... or do all male models look like that? Well, except for that Melbourne male model who looks amazing on the catwalk as a woman. I think if you were to wear the first ensemble you'd look like you've just driven up from the Goldie ... very Queensland! I suggest once you get said navy suit you send a link to your blog to their marketing department.

    ReplyDelete
  12. you should get a name badge made up: I'm Revolting

    ReplyDelete
  13. Isn't that Laura witty? I wonder where she gets it from. I was going to make a joke about wearing the undies but somebody stole my thunder.
    xo

    Maybe the Moomins could fix you up with a nice look.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes, somebody stole my thunder as well. That's what you get for being late, or for living on the other side of the planet. Deb's advice is not bad, learn from Moomin mum. You could always add the spotted bottoms.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This was wonderful to see other people have trouble finding the simple things anymore...a navy suit you would think would be a stocked item at all times. pinstripes...I don't know why but they do look cute!

    I do imagine what a Finnish post office would look like.....

    good luck on the suit!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love pinstripes. Yes, I repeat, I really love pinstripes. Back in the day one of my favourite and quite sexily authoritarian outfits was a knee length fitted pinstriped coat-dress for high end corporate ( not court) wear. To be honest I loathe a plain navy skirt suit - so bank clerk or BA stewardess. Plain black is much more stylish and exudes more authority. But maybe pinstripes are so much of a cliche in Brisbane court circles that you want to avoid it. In that case, I advise you to go for the jacket and spotty bikini!

    ReplyDelete
  17. ...and then you can recline on the steps of the courthouse, a la photo number 2...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Don't ever call me as a witness. My Love.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDUsZay38es

    ReplyDelete
  19. Well, if they have dumb models prepared to ride bicycles backwards, or whatever she's doing, it's a wonder they speak the language.
    Pin stripes are definitely not Brisbane. Melbourne maybe - Long Bay gaol?
    You don't want to look guilty as charged before you even get to your feet.
    I just hope they don't plaster you and your new suit to the wall as they alter it during their renovations.

    ReplyDelete
  20. HA! Zigsma the other day I showed those You Tube videos (of Douglas 'cross' examining and Moss being witness) to the other students, and I laughed and laughed and laughed!

    They kind-of laughed.

    ReplyDelete
  21. In line with TWGM (the world's gone mad), CSDA (customer service is a dying art).
    I hope you got the polka dot undies to complete the look.

    ReplyDelete