Yesterday, one of my pals mentioned she'd earlier killed some time at the Red Hill Salvo's only to find NOTHING.
So, taking that as a challenge, I decided to see for myself.
I try not to op shop without leaving something first. Here's this week's drop off.
My chum was right. There was NOTHING there.
The Singing Cockney was there, over-pricing with her price gun in hand.
This was probably the only good thing I saw. A Mid-Century dresser for $250. Sold unfortunately.
The bloke just behind its left corner let out a huge BURP just as I was taking this photo. And I thought, 'Exactly'.
There was this. But it was a bit 'blah'.
And these blue delfty things which must have been someone's collection. If you look hard enough, you can see one of the clogs, alone, cost $35. I'd expect to see those sorts of prices on Level Three, David Jones. The Cockney's way to cocky with her dockets.
As I was leaving, I almost got squished by this truck.
Hoping it was filled with stuff, I asked a worker if I should hang around, but he said it was there to collect pallet-loads of clothing for Africa.
So, I went to another thrift shop which I've never been to before.
I've never really understood Pam Ayers. In fact, she could be the woman working at the Salvos for all I know.
But for a measly $5.00, or 500 sensis as Zigsma would say, I brought home these books.
A brown tablecloth which I suspect I'll cut-up and sew into something.
Some coasters. I'm a tad fussy about who puts what on my timber surfaces.
As for artistica domestica, I found this minimalist piece near the front door. I quite like its repetitive simplicity. Not sure who's the artist.
What are you having for dinner? We're having lasagne.
The key to a good lasagne is to hold the Nutella, and be generous with the fresh herbs and salami.














I think your Singing Cockney has been down this way visiting my Vinnies. Went looking for a single timber chair today - they wanted $50!
ReplyDeleteThere was a 70's laminated wood kitchen hutch/dresser thingy that was OK and they wanted $600! My brand new solid timber one from the local furniture manufacturer cost less than that. Sheesh!
PS - phew the iPod fits!
That dresser is fabulous - a sand and some danish oil would make it sparkle again. I really ought to get out and about more to see what is out there. xx
ReplyDeleteMy goodness me, you need a lot of spare moula to go op shopping these days. $35 for some second-hand ceramic clogs? Crazy talk!!
ReplyDeleteFascinating round up as always, MMMC. I particularly liked the original minimalist artwork waiting for you on your return. And the lasagna ingredients. My eyes were drawn immediately to my favourite Nutella jar and I scrolled down eagerly to see how it featured only to be bitterly disappointed. As for Pam Ayres - what do you mean you don't get this?!!
ReplyDeleteI am a bunny rabbit,
Sitting in me hutch,
I like to sit up this end,
I don't care for that end, much,
I'm glad tomorrow's Thursday,
'Cause with a bit of luck,
As far as I remember,
That's the day they pass the buck.
It must be lasagne weather at the moment.
ReplyDeleteWow that opshop lady sure is heavy handed with the pricing. Looks like she adds an extra zero to all the prices I think.
x
CP,
ReplyDeleteI-pod cover perfect. Op Shops ... hmmm. Maybe they'll crash like the property market is flagged to do.
Brismod,
the dresser will make someone very happy. You've got to be quick for the bargains.
SarahB,
Crazy talk exactly. I may use that turn-of-phrase when I return to that place of business. I think someone needs to say something.
Ms E-M,
No. I don't get that poem. I didn't get Pam Ayers' poems when kids used to read them at Primary School for show-and-tell. I spent the rest of the day confused.
Zara,
are you having lasagne too? She's dropping zeros like a dealer dropping tabs at a rave party.
I remember that Dr Dolittle book, how sweet!
ReplyDeleteI long ago black-banned Redhill Salvos when I saw a Myer skirt , tags still on for $75. It would have cost less at Myer. The singing cockney reminds me of the scary female principle at Hogwarts in her pink, boucle, Chanel knock-off. It's that smarmy smile as she wields her wicked price gun at anything that moves. Pity because years ago it was an opting hotspot there!
ReplyDeleteCharity shop workers are living in a time warp. They'd probably put 50 sensis on a clean margarine tub. Excellent book finds. The mystery art piece would look wonderful in a frame.
ReplyDeleteAll in all you were a winner. It was your donations to the Op Gods - works every time!
R&S,
ReplyDeleteI agree, it's a bit of quid pro quo. I was glad to hear that a truck-load of clothes was going to Africa. That reminded me how important donations can be.
Gee that joint seems a bit exe. They got a good price for the dresser. They are hard sellers. Much better when they don't have the hole for the stool and you can take the mirror off and sell them as drawers. Doctor Doolittle is sure to be a hit....it wAs one of my boys favs can't beat a push me pull me!! I am seriously jealous of your I pod case....just Devine!xx
ReplyDeleteI can't stand going to the Red Hill one anymore - it makes my blood boil since I inevitably find something I love but just can't justify the ridiculous price for.
ReplyDeleteI did a run down to the few big ones at Capalaba last week and was dismayed to find a similar story there.. maybe you have to go regionally to find good oppies these days?
The Salvos & Lifelines in Cairns seem to price their 'collectables' a bit high but all the Vinnies are as cheap as chips! Good ole' fashioned oppy prices. I need to whip up an ipod cover. That one looks very groovy.
ReplyDeleteyep,I think the picture at Red hill is very accurate. ( A concise second comment!)
ReplyDeleteThank you for your comment but the poem is RUDE! It's a play on words. A buck is a male rabbit...(Or were you just kidding me?) Lol!
ReplyDeleteI can't get over the number of op shops you have to choose from. Here? Down from two to one. Disgusting, I know. I was disappointed there was no Nutella in the lasagna too.
ReplyDeletexo
your i-pod cover is super cute!
ReplyDeletealso, when reading you lasagna tips I thought you did use nutella! It had me wondering for a second.
Wendy C,
ReplyDeleteI noticed the second comment! And I noticed it was succinct!
Ms E-M,
I got the 'buck' being the male rabbit, but still the poem was lost. Easily confused when it comes to P Ayers.
Oh I wish you had been with me today , Twice this week I have been called To come check out estates. Oh pinch me i was in mid-century heaven...I can't wait to show you...check out the pillow on my post!!! its a taste of whats to come.....
ReplyDeleteThat Singing Cockney is moonlighting in Milwaukee, I tell you. It makes me nuts when I can't afford to shop at the oppy..
ReplyDeletewow that dressing table is nice - shame it was sold. the price is ok i suppose for salvos considering if some retro furniture shop was selling it, it would be $2000 or something crazy....
ReplyDeletesounds like brisbane op shop prices are going the way of sydney - ie. totally overpriced and ridiculous!
that delft clog would be cheaper to buy new in holland and shipped over!
I sent my Delft clog to the op shop. Hope that one isn't mine.
ReplyDeleteI'm just glad you didn't get squished :)
ReplyDeleteWhat a good idea to leave something at the op shop before actually entering the op shop! Will try to do the same next time.
ReplyDeleteWe too are Dr Dolittle fans over here, coasters are fab and opshop prices inner city are ridiculous. Head for a fringe suburb, you'll find it quite a relief. melx
ReplyDelete