Sunday, September 25, 2011

My sister, sewing, and shoes.

This is my sister squeezing a kitty cat.


Her innocent features belie her latent ingenuity.

She recently sensed my frustration with the clothing conglomerate that is Herringbone, and she suggested I turn to another purveyor of fine Egyptian cottons.

Needless to say, I followed her advice, and came home with these.


Spectacular, I hear you whisper. Liberty sans Hello Kitty.

Unfortunately, the pink checked shirt has no cuff buttons, which has careered me, unexpectedly, to investigate the world of cuff-links. Oh, the lofty heights of pretentiousness.


On the weekends, we walk to the local markets to pick up a bit of this and that and get 'all-community' as the Husband likes to say.


I'd like to say I ride to the markets on something like the above, but I don't.


The markets are quite over-flowing with fresh produce.


But we generally just buy cupcakes.



Oven-warmed sour-dough with jam. So European.


The on-set of Spring has seen me crank-out the sewing scissors and boxer-shorts patterns. Away go the long pants and out come the short ones.


Shorty shorts, knobbly knees, new shoes.

30 comments:

  1. Which local markets are those? The knobbly knees are as delicious as the cupcakes- like little dumplings! I like you taking Liberties over Herringbone. They are nicer shirts anyway and a bit of pink can be very flattering. Perhaps some crafty cufflinks from Curly Pops or Lino Forest would bedazzle the Law Courts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where do we get such shoes???
    The market ... is that near Government House? We drove past there yesterday & I saw a bit of a gathering & a coffee van ... always notice coffee vans. Didn't know what was going on though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You'll be dressing like Jason (work time Jason) in no time. He's partial to Rhodes and Beckett shirts (on sale of course). You should find some funky old man cuff links - the amber or onyx stone variety with gold plate base. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look like Walnuts to me. Cute. I'll keep my eyes open for some linq de coufs for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anni
    they be Bardon markets on a sunny day.

    LMAG,
    they be shoes purchased from Coccoon, Paddington.

    Brismod,
    I hope dressing like Jason doesn't entail me having to go topless and painting the house. Good tips about the links. Amber ones sound the go.

    Zigsma,
    they be walnuts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Four cupcakes, four children. Should work well. Yet all I can envisage is the ensuing argument over who has the teddy, who has the m&ms, I had to have the oreo last time, it's not fair. And me in reply stating that I will never again in all my life buy a cupcake for any one of you.
    Is this just how my household operates?

    ReplyDelete
  7. what cute shorts, shoes, and knees!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm a great fan of cufflinks for women...you'll look great! You'll be the bee's knees :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the shirts and shoes...I want a pair!

    ReplyDelete
  10. One of my very favourite things on earth - little boy slightly pudgy pale legs with pristine knees. Just edible, as a slightly strange friend of mine would say. Gee I wish my boy's legs looked like that. His have blood and cuts and grazes all over.

    V cute shoes too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. SACREBLEU! Is that a COOKIE on a CUPCAKE?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your anecdotes. How cute is your sister?! Be sure to post the cufflinks too. Also appreciating the fabrics of those shirts :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cute post, smart shirts, adorable little legs and shoes

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi, I am new to your blog. Love the new little shoes. Just too cute. You have inspired me to also crack out some spring sewing. Cheers, Amy

    ReplyDelete
  15. Amy,
    I can't quite believe I have a new reader. Hello. I was used to the Regulars.

    You should tell us all what you sew. I get quietly excited when I hear what people sew ... the simpler the better aka hankies!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You could have told us a fab story about riding your new bicycle to the markets. We would have believed it. Really!! x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Dear Pam,
    yesterday, I rode a gorgeous tawn-coloured ladies' cruiser bike to the markets. It had a lovely leather seat that was cranked-up so high that it made my legs about 6-foot long. And there were beautifully sewn saddle-bags with Italian badges, so they must've been expensive, and to top-it-all-off I had THE CUTEST floral bike helmet as far as the eye could see. And then I returned home to find everyone fighting and screaming and no one had done any washing or vacuuming.
    love MMMC xo

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hey, well done you for taking 4 children out of the house again. Love your pink shirts - you're getting on top of this work thing. And love Martha's shorts/shoe combo. Beth is still believing she can fit into last year's slipons. Not good parenting. Someone should do something about that. And I want the oreo cupcake.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful. I see a shirt catalogue in the making right there. That bicycle and wind swept path are screaming to be catalogued.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Nice shoes, but I know someone who wants their 959 matchbox car back. Does its current owner realise that car was a girl?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi again, I am surprised to get a response. Am new to commenting. I sew very simply. Am currently sewing shorts for my 4 children. Poor things being made to wear mummy made. However, the 18 month old has no say and the 9 year old is still happy to wear them. The 6 and 8 year old still love choosing the fabric. A bit crazy choosing the school holidays for such a venture, but it seems to amuse the kids. At least the Brisbane weather warrants them. Cheers, Amy

    ReplyDelete
  22. DO they make those shoes for mums with Amazonian feet, I wonder? Tres chic...

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love your sister. And I want those shoes in the last picture. And those cupcakes. I hate shirts and never ever wear them, because they need to be ironed. I hate ironing and i never iron anything if it's not for the shop. I really want to meet who decided that clothes have to be wrinkle free and smooth and spit him or her in the eye. Whoever was, had too much time in his hands.

    ReplyDelete
  24. those little shoes are priceless. You can find some lovely (and also very quirky) cuff links on Etsy... Go Pretentiousness!

    ReplyDelete
  25. They've got markets in Bardon now? That's fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Knobbly knees is the best there is! I love
    checked shirt, just... few opportunities to wear shirts around here. Or cuff links. I can just see myself, chopping wood.
    Your shorts are wonderful, we now use it as pyjama bottoms. (What's a cupcake anyway? I've seen blogs devoted to cupcakes. I do live in strange dimensions).
    <3 Lilli

    ReplyDelete
  27. such little cute legs, and those shorts and shoes, do they come in my size???!!!

    id go for the cupcakes too!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Search is over - http://www.etsy.com/listing/61688416/pink-brick-cufflinks
    Love the new shirts "stepping out" big time!
    Can't wait to sew simple cotton stuff in Darwin. It's on the agenda.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I do love the knobby knees. And the cupcakes. I'm going through Stevie's cuff links for you to add to the box I was supposed to send a month ago that is filling up by leaps and bounds.
    xo

    ReplyDelete