Saturday, March 5, 2011

Avant Garde clothing


I finally finished sewing the avant garde pyjama pants. There they are fluttering, not-so-avant-gardely, with the wind. 

I rang a legal-ish organisation the other day and expressed my need to find work. They now want to see me. Unfortunately, I don't think I can see them in my new pair of avant garde Liberty pyjama pants, so I went to a shop and spent, on two items of clothing, what could possibly sustain a small East Timorese village for a year.

The woman in the not-very-avant-garde shop said if it was the legal field for which I was headed, I should wear a striped shirt! I told her, in no uncertain terms, that "I like to buck the system, and I think I'll buy this floral one". So there.

Really. If it comes down to the type of shirt one wears in a make-or-break interview, then I don't want to be part of that crazy paradigm.


This is the not-so-avant-garde shop's catalogue ... 
it has a pictorial essay on my search for suitable corporate wear ...


I really need to find something to wear that's not sleepwear to a legal-type interview.


Okay toots, we'll think of something on the ferry. Just keep your hands off my newspaper.


What can she wear? What to wear? Clothes ... wow. 


Nothing in the financial pages. Strange ...


Hmmm ... thinking. Golly, if I look out to sea, maybe something will come to me ... 


Nope. Just pyjamas. That's all I can think of ...


This is harder than I thought ... helping those two people think of something to wear to a legalish-type interview ... 


Up on deck ... I thought the change of scenery would help. But no ... why is this so hard? So many change of clothes, and still nothing.


Hullo Dad. 

Hullo Son. You look like you're thinking about corporate wear.

I am!


Let's sit back-to-back, so we don't distract one another. Something will come to us eventually ... If anyone asks, I don't know you. You're dressed too casually.


All this thinking has made me forget something ... that's right I forgot to shave under my chin ... everywhere else, but not under my chin ...

Dammit. And socks ... I forgot to put on socks. I may as well still be in my pyjamas.


Shane Warne and Liz Hurley ... I wonder how those star-crossed lovers are fairing in the topsy-turvy, hurdy gurdy round-a-bout that is a celebrity relationship?


Even from this position, I can't think of suitable corporate wear. I don't want to be a lawyer anyway. I'd really like to just drive ferries.


Something like this? No. Too formal. God, why is this so hard?


Oh brilliant! I love it ... these woolly jumpers are just like pyjamas ... But they're not pyjamas. I'll wear a woolly jumper-thing and just give everyone on the panel a hug and I'll be a shoe-in.

28 comments:

  1. You are such a hoot!! With your sense of humour I'd have to think you'd be a complete shoe-in for the job. If not, well they obviously have no sense of humour and don't deserve you :)
    ps thank you for your lovely comment over at Fun & VJ's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You crazy nut! I love how you can make up a story out of anything. Have you seen this website? Hilarious. http://catalogliving.net/

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was hysterical! Hope the interview goes well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh dear. Herringbone is so dreadfully expensive, isn't it? Jason bought a suit there last year, full retail, and I said to him, "What about the bathroom renovation?"
    Good luck in your interview! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh you are such a funny Lady! thank you...

    ... mmmmm I think 'Dad' looks ok too!♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love you too. My favourite was the dad and son sitting back to back to think better.

    Best of luck MMMC!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck! Not enough floral in the corporate world I say.

    ReplyDelete
  8. If you had a dollar for every chuckle , giggle, and guffaw that you inspired, i swear you would be a billionaire. then no need for interviews or business clothes. you could lounge around in all your mid century glory, in your pjs!
    when i get back to my sewing machine, i am going to make some of those pants.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Why is it always so agonizing...finding the right attire? Don't you just want to walk in and say..."okay, I may not be a fashionista, but I am good....really good at what I do...so take a chance...hire me...and I'll stop using all these pause dots....and would you mind if I worked in my flowery pajama bottoms? They help me think."

    ReplyDelete
  10. Are lawyers allowed to have a sense of humour. If not, you're in serious job finding trouble! And you know my view on dress standards :) Fabulous job you clever clogs. Hey, about about clogs?!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think all lawyer types should wear florals... good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Haha ... that is hilarious! :)
    I know what you mean about the seriously $$ cost of clothing at such establishments ... oh my!

    PS. I'm glad you went with the floral, you wouldn't want to look like everyone else in an interview! :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well...I go away for a week and look what happens - couldn't keep away from blogging huh? Sooo glad.
    Love the AG pjs and as for florals - go for it and just be yourself. They will love you.
    Pam x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ripsnort!
    Yes, by all means... floral! You crack me up. Thanks for the smile. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I wanted to write a great comment, that really expressed how funny I found this, but all I could come up with was hahahahahahaha. I guess that sums it up.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I don't know how on earth you're going to be able to keep a straight face and actually think when you're sitting in that interview, but GOOD LUCK!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm surprised you're not getting a three-piece made up in marrimekko.

    ReplyDelete
  18. That is brilliant. When I have a catalogue, can you please do the copy? And you can wear whatever you want whilst doing so. Promise.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You truly have chosen the wrong career. Comedy for you, my girl!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh Momma you are such a kick in the pants...love the pj's and some of the royalty clothing!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sitting here with a big grin, dear Carmel.
    I think you're very excited. Keep calm ... and I agree with Pam, just be yourself...they will love you, nothing matter what you're wearing.
    Love ya,
    Ariane.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Goodluck with the interview.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Damn I wish I could wear pjs to work. Years ago at uni we'd wear pjs to the Night Owl for munchies in swotvac week though ..

    Good luck on your interview you sexy lawyer you!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm with MLC.
    Good luck with the interview.
    As for apparel, I have never cottoned on to black as the corporate choice.
    So drab as if their clients weren't depressed enough.
    Floral is certainly the way through this mire.
    However, I did have some concern because the majority of the ferry passengers were male. Did you notice?
    I think it would be better to go to the ladies dept.on the ferry ,especially if there's a sale on after the flood washing ferries down the river and messing up all of that corporate gear.
    Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  25. That hair under the chin is rather odd. So funny!! I'm so pleased I no longer have to worry about corporate attire.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I think you are hoping those woolly things are long johns.

    ReplyDelete