Contemporaneously, I am listening to a recorded Law tutorial pertaining to 'Evidence'.
The tutor mentioned to the class, the case of Woolmington v DPP [1935] AC 462. He emphasised the importance of the case in terms of criminal evidence.
He said it was such an important case, that a whole episode of 'Rumpole of The Bailey' was dedicated to it.
No one in the class has heard of John Mortimer's 'Rumpole'. One girl even asked how to spell 'R.u.m.p.o.l.e'.
What does that mean to you? Should I be upset by that?
Why do I think Rumpole of The Bailey should be known by everyone who has any passing interest in the Law?
Am I just getting old and cranky?
Should I just put on a bit of 'the Beib' and forget about the whole thing?


Yes, you should be upset about her not knowing Rumpole. Mein Gott.
ReplyDeleteWhat also upsets me about this post is how it reminds me of work. I transcribe court cases, and so things like [1935] AC 462 just make me wanna fall asleep :)
Oh Lawd... I loved Rumpole. So inspiring for my own law career, not that that lasted long. I am more concerned that I can't remember a thing about Woolmington. See 20 years ago I was one of those 20 year olds who used to laugh at the Mature Agers in the front row? Do you sit in the front row?
ReplyDeleteMy secret nickname for you is Rumpole. So, yes, you should be upset by that. And perhaps also - that. What about Douglas in the IT Crowd defending himself? Now that's a thumbs in lapels/braces lawyer.
ReplyDeleteWhat do you mean no one knew Rumpole of The Bailey?????? Be upset, I say.
ReplyDeleteOh dear. Surely this sort of knowledge should be assessed as part of entering Law at uni.
No,get mad and disgusted.
ReplyDeleteBut,with the last comment on your previous entry, where I mentioned Cary Grant and Grace Kelly in "To Catch a Thief", as well as confessing to my Buick car fetish, I thought it would all be ho-hum to you.
Ages pass. But, Rumpole will never die to the truly selective.
Whatever you do, DO NOT listen to the Beibs. And yes I know Rumpole. Naughty Zigsma.
ReplyDeleteWake up, Sue! Justice waits for no one!
ReplyDeleteAnn,
I too used to laugh in the face of old students. I do everything on-line now, so I spare the younger generation the agony of hearing my sighs at their silly comments, or my rolled eyes at their giggles.
Zigsma, better the nickname be Rumpole than Douglas. Actually, Douglas is my latest idol crush.
A Farmer's Wife. High fives to you!
DMC,
I think Child 3 would be interested in your Buick poster thing. I've only just removed his Matchbox car poster from the loungeroom wall where it hung for about three-months and he'd tick-off the cars as he acquired them.
Deb,
Zigsma is an imp, isn't she? Time for bed, Deb.
I know. I understand. But that's probably not much consolation given my advanced age!
ReplyDeleteI was never into Rumpole BUT definitely YES, anyone interested in Law should know all the Law shows on tv. Isn't that a prerequisite?
ReplyDeleteI can remember a similar experience whilst at a Green Day concert in 2005. It was their American Idiot Tour where they gained a whole new audience & generation. Sitting next to some high school girls who were jumping up & down & singing along to all the American Idiot songs but had no idea & sat down when all of their classic break-through songs from the Dookie album were played. My mind was reeling ... how could they be "into" Green Day, but not know Dookie? How could they chat through, let alone sit still, when "Welcome to Paradise" was played? As Sue said, Mein Got!!! Definitely not worthy!
Are you serious? Rumpole is part of pop culture, surely? I guess just because one studies law doesn't mean one would be well rounded...Sad, though. I bet they know about the latest iphone apps. Now, I am being old and cranky! xx
ReplyDeleteShe probably can't spell Beiber either.
ReplyDeleteHa I am laughing, but feeling old and biddie (not Beibie)like as I know Rumpole too well. I always thought he needed to clear his throat, and found that a bit off putting.
ReplyDeleteI like Zigsma's comment. Rumpole it is!!
Oh geez, I'm still trying to annunciate the first word in your post. Very tricky...
ReplyDeleteYou are old and cranky...just like me ha!! This post makes me think of the movie Travelling North...one of my favourites. I don't think they repeat Rumpole on tele so the young set would not really have had much of a chance to see it, given it was on tele at least 10 years before they were born.
ReplyDeleteYou are completely within your rights to think it's almost unbelievable that she hadn't heard of 'Rumpole' ... I hope you also joined that frustration with a few eye rolls or two as well (I know I would have).
ReplyDeleteWhat I find particularly pleasing is that while I hear people refer to 'the Beib', I really have no idea what his whole caper is about ... that pleases me greatly. So I'm pretty sure that makes me old and cranky ... ignorance surely is bliss when it comes to 'the Beib'? ;)
she might not be familiar with Ol' Rumpole but I bet she could chronologically list every case Judge Judy has ever sat in front of, now there's something to aspire to!
ReplyDeleteI'm an old and cranky Rumpole fan, and now also aware of the meaning of contemporaneous. Thankyou for today's lesson.
ReplyDeleteHow any self-respecting would-be-lawyer have come to study law without a few Rumpole series under their belt is beyond me? It was standard ABC fare in our non-legal household. Maybe Arnie in LA Law and the more respected Rumpole are Gen X muses only? Viva la Beib
ReplyDeleteI feel old and cranky too and I have the Bieb on in the background ...I can hear it coming out of Mimi's room ...Nope doesn't help....lol!
ReplyDeleteHello Amanda.
ReplyDeleteHeidi, you know I've never heard a Justin Bieber song.
Even Child One sheepishly admitted she hasn't heard one of his songs.
definitely put on the Beib and rap with lil'J.
ReplyDelete