Right now I'm reading this on the computer and taking notes from that heavy tome on 'Civil Procedure'.
It's extremely boring, so I'm trying to cheer myself by emphasising the Mid-Century aspects of my life.
Here goes ...
The patio dress has arrived! With a fear of being boastful, it is SPECTACULAR and it fits perfectly. It was made in Honolulu. I suspect a lot of patio dresses have seen good times Honolulu.
I think I'll get these old Dinosaur Designs earrings fixed to wear with it. Though I'm worried they're looking a bit tired. I'm guessing they're about 20 years old now.
I've been flicking though this book a lot. It has ridiculous projects in it, which I think are achievable.
Such as cement painting.
And crazy upholstery for my non-existent Hardoy chairs.
This image shows how you can reframe prints 'in minutes'. I am more interested in the Bernard Buffet print at the back. The matador one. If you're interested, you should read about Bernard Buffet and keep your eyes open for one of his prints. They're quite collectible. You can thank me another time.
And aprons - it shows you how to fancy-up an apron.
This is my latest apron acquisition (your right of the latest child). Anon Annie gave it to me. I like to wear it as often as I can as it's very comfortable and I'm suspicious of people who don't wear aprons ... where do they wipe their dirty hands, for instance? In their children's hair?
Mmm, Mid-Century Tuna Mornay ... and last night's
post-Mid-Century Apricot Chicken (inspired by A Farmer's Wife).
It looks like I served it on my patio dress. I didn't.
Finally, after everyone else on the planet, I've joined Pinterest.
I want to pin everything!
That's it. Run away.

Okay I am running... but just want to know are you sure you didn't serve that tuna mornay on your new patio dress??
ReplyDeleteBy the way, how come you get a lot of gifts?
Pam x
I'm amazed at what you can accomplish while you're reading heavy tomes. I'll look forward to seeing your cement painting whilst wearing lovely aprons.
ReplyDeleteThe snow is going!
That dress is so cool. Have you got somewhere special you will be wearing it?
ReplyDeleteMy sister gave the other four sisters oppy aprons for Christmas. They were chosen for their suitability for each of our poisonalities. My husband managed to burn a hole in mine whilst cooking some show off flaming Vietnamese dish on Boxing Day. Give me apricot chicken any time.
ReplyDeleteI would like to further peruse that book- the crafty one not the tome. What, pray is cement painting, and will you be presenting a tutorial on it. You could enhance the patio to match the dress.
Pam,
ReplyDeleteI realised we have melamine plates that have a similar pattern to the dress. Like a moth to the flame ...
And that's a good question about the gifts. To be brutally honest, I actually feel terrible when people send me things. That's definitely not why I type away at the blog, in the hope that people will shower me with possessions! I feel bad because I can't reciprocate in most cases ... I can't crochet or knit or draw, I can make kids' pyjama pants but who wants a pair of ill-fitting boxer shorts? I rarely visit op shops and find quirky things that I could send people ... I do feel very grateful for people's generosity but also very guilty that people give me bits and pieces.
Having said that, I feel I've made some wonderful friends through this blog, and each thing that someone's sent is either being used or is on display somewhere in the house, so it reminds me of that person whenever I see or use what they've sent.
But I really don't know why people send me things.
Deb,
I'm glad the snow's going. I think a cement painting would fall off the wall as soon as it was hung.
Brismod,
that's a good question too. I hadn't thought that far ahead. Maybe I'll wear it when Katherine organises a Brisbane Bloggers Conference.
That's a tuckshop apron if ever I've seen one! Or if tuckshop doesn't appeal, you could wear it whilst making the strawberry ice-creams at this year's Ekka. Tres cool!
ReplyDeletep.s. You're not the last one to join Pinterest. I am ... it's on my To-Do List ;-)
Annie,
ReplyDeleteyou put wet cement in a tray, make engravings and paint it. You then somehow attach it to the wall. I'll lend you the book.
LMAG,
Pinterest has so far proved very addictive and I can see why people love it. Megan from OliveandEsther 'invited' me, and I jumped on board.
I can also 'invite' six people so if you want 'in', just say.
What a fun fun post I love...the dress I had a vintage shirt from Hawaii in the shop last year it was soooo cute! but not as great as that dress!! the book was fab too
ReplyDeleteI think sometimes people just give MMMC things because it feels right. She forgets that she came over bearing a box of too pretty to eat pastries, a glorious buch of gerberas that have made me happy for a week and a present and lovely vintage card for the wee-un. I just gave her a used tuck shop apron that screamed "Carmel" when I bought it and didn't want to be my apron at all. Plus she makes me laugh so I feel like I came out of that exchange pretty well!
ReplyDeleteP.S. It has become necessary to wipe hands on an apron since my child is challenged in the hair department.
ReplyDeleteFirstly, LOVE your patio dress!!! That's so great that it fits perfectly and everything!
ReplyDeleteSecondly, your little bubba? Devine. What a total cutie!
Thirdly, Pinterest = amazing. Virtual pinboard. Perfect.
Hahaha (this is a crazy laughter with joy not only because of the surprise I got when I found you out here again but also because of the book full of projects!). I can't decide which project might be my favourite. Maybe the cement painting. I'll try to find a place for that kind of heavy artwork though before I set my mind on getting started. And now I REALLY have to get to work.
ReplyDeleteKram!
What a cool dress and it'll look fab with those earrings. You should get them fixed.
ReplyDeleteI still don't understand what Pinterest is, so that must mean you are not quite the last person to join. I just joined flikr and still don't quite get that either. It all makes my head spin. Really, this internet caper is a full-time job!!
i am slightly jealous of that patio dress. the earrings however, an i have a fetish for earrings look rather heavy *but oh so groovy!*
ReplyDeletelike you will have earlobes of a troll after wearing them.
:) then again, cement painting and troll earlobes somehow seem like a compatible couple.
Heidi,
ReplyDeletemaybe I should have a shop? That way I could have an excuse to have all these Mid-Century things.
Stella,
Pinterest is such a fun concept! I can imagine it would help designers and stylists.
Elisabeth,
you could turn the Swedish artworld on its head by churning-out some concrete paintings!
Hello! I'm late as usual. What a wonderfully breezy blog, given your heavy-duty homework (the law books, I mean).
ReplyDeleteI'd love an invite to Pinterest, if you've still got one spare. Looks great.
Thanks! x
SarahB,
ReplyDeleteI think you'd love pinterest. I'll send an invite to you.
Sarapirat,
the earrings are incredibly light. They're made of resin. Those concrete paintings are another matter. And the dress ... I can't quite believe I own it. It was a lucky Etsy find!
Jane, I just sent you an invite.
OMG I want that dress! Can you please model it for us though? Would love to see the cut.
ReplyDeleteNo, I'm going to thank you now actually. I have a Bernard Buffet. I've never bothered to look him up until now. And while doing an image search I found a parallel universe me in the UK. She loves West German pottery and has the same Buffet. Bernard. Buffet. Though she also has a lovely mid-century buffet. The interwebs huh? Love your apron and your patio dress. I joined Pinterest a while ago but am too scared to enter the abyss.
ReplyDeleteCurlyPops,
ReplyDeleteI will model it for you. But only you. I'm going to wait until my exams are finished because wearing it is my personal reward. I also have to find the right shoes. I'm thinking sandals with some sort of blue rhinestone effect. Birkenstocks do it little justice.
And the cut is quite interesting. The first time I tried it on, I found I was wearing it incorrectly - like a bat cape.
Zigsma,
I have two words (and two exclamation marks):
GET OUT!!
Apricot chicken, fail safe, yummo!! You can load so many vegetables into it, ahhhh. Nice apron, i love aprons, so handy & keeps me clean. Patio dress, obviously if it fits your petit body, it's not a moo moo. Or is it mu mu?? I know it's not Miu Miu!! My mummy loved a good MM dress in the 80's (i guess 70s too, kind of repressed most of those very early childhood memories as you guessed it, my sister & i would have matching ones, my brother would have matching shirts to our father, in Hawaii, looking like a weird travelling band??) Love Posie
ReplyDeletePosie,
ReplyDeleteyou are slightly mad.
Unlike me those earrings could never look tired!
ReplyDeleteMy girls had lots of hair when they were little. Why did I never think to wipe my hands on their heads?
ReplyDeleteI, too don't know what Pinterest is. Do I want to know?
honolulu here she comes! :)
ReplyDeletepina colada anyone? you could be the legal consultant for Hawaii 5 O
pinterest is addicting. I don't even brush my teeth anymore. I pin. That's all I do.
ReplyDeleteDo you know that I don't own a single apron? Or a full set of plates? But I have two different drills and a saw. No wonder I'm a spinster.
Kerry,
ReplyDeletethose earrings have never been to NEW YORK though!
Deb,
Pinterest may keep you awake at night. You could pin lots of photos of snow drifts, and then look out your window and see lots of snow drifts.
Milady,
you're a smart cookie.
Bobbi,
pin photos of clean teeth and then you won't need to worry about yours. You can get a tool belt, which is a bit like an apron.
What is pinterest and do I need it?
ReplyDeleteSerious question.
The mu mu has definitely brought back happy memories. Shopping in Hawaii had to include several mu mu's to wear there. I always like to look like a local and sound like one.
Wherever we went, somehow I would hear myself imitating the local dialect without trying.
It started many many years ago on my first visit to US when I was a ship's surgeon.
First port of call was Galveston, Texas.
I discovered the "drug store" serving minimal drugs as far as I could see, but cafe delights.
The "in" drink was a "coke float".
(No. NOT that sort of coke; the real brown liquid stuff with a scoop of icecream on top.)
If I asked for one they couldn't understand what I was saying, so I had to develop a Southern American drawl.
Speaking of Hawaii , the man had to have a very large number of local shirts all of which were eventually pinched by sons going to "themed parties" along with grossly flared and brightly striped pants.
Shoes for the patio dress?
High cork sandals are where it has always been.
I think a post on Pinterest is in order to bring everyone up to speed. Myself included.
ReplyDeleteI like the pink & green buttons on latest childs dress. Nice apron. Amazing patio dress. I think the DD earrings look very fresh.
You've inspired a tuna mornay craving. I don't think I've made one in a decade so will do that for dinner.
Is there anything in civil procedure about dress codes? I can just see you in court with that dress.
I'm holding out on pinterest. I can't become addicted to any more websites.
ReplyDeleteYour earrings are fab and will look wonderful with that dress (and your plates as the case may be)!
So glad you made the chicken. Hope it was yummy.
ReplyDeleteI am coveting your patio dress. Also the earrings. Now if I wore that combo at our next BBQ it would get the locals talking (and I like to make them talk every now and then - don't want to get too boring out here in the country....)
Take good care.
I'll happily take a "pinterest" spot if it's still available. Tried replying the other day but Google was having issues with me & some cookies of mine.
ReplyDelete