Sunday, March 6, 2011

Toys that don't work.

This toy has never worked. I only want it to do one-of-two things and it does neither.


First, it doesn't work as Santa's sleigh bells. 

Every year on Christmas Eve, the Husband and I concoct a complicated and devious plan, and we invent a web-like series of ruses, and one of us will slink-off stealthily with the bell-shaker-thing and when the hyperactive four children are in bed, the missing parent will ring the bells under certain bedroom windows, and the present parent will gasp in shock and excitement and declare, "Sssh! It's Santa! You'd all better go to sleep or he'll fly over the house and won't deliver presents and there'll be groaning and gnashing of milk teeth in the morning!"

And, though they're usually quite dim on the whole, one of the children will yell that one parent is missing! And, odds on, that missing parent is ringing that bell-shaker-thing under the window just like the present parent did the year before.

Useless toy .


Second, I like to use the bell-shaker-thing when certain children are perilously close to soft furnishing with fluorescent pens ... or when all the children are yelling and screaming and punching and demanding of food.

I like to shake it in circular motions around each of the children's heads, and chant and hiss in an African witch doctor's-type, trance-inducing voice, "Away evil spirits! Away! Begone beezlebubs! Begone!"

That doesn't work either. It just adds to the cacophony. Stupid toy.

19 comments:

  1. So funny. I can envisage the African dance and chants!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ps - maybe you could wave it at the bush turkey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, musical toys...They seem like a good idea at the time until you realise they are never used for musical activities!

    And do you have a doll with pins in it too?
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now that all makes me laugh as I conjure up images of the commotion/s in my head. Hungry children (expecially 4) is not a pretty sight!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always amaze myself why I keep these little anoyances around the house.....a car with a missing wheel or a doll without an arm!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with R&S, maybe it would deter the bush turkeys :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's all in the wrist... you just give it a quick flick and wham, straight in the bin...

    ReplyDelete
  8. This made me laugh - we have one of those too! (The chimes that is...and cheeky child often wielding permanent marker!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just flicked through your last few blog posts - I remember nun lady too! What a blast from the past! It's amazing how these things disappear from your mind only to be awoken many, many, MANY years later. I can see her clearly in my mind - walking hurriedly, head down, shaking and muttering.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think if you shake the bells at them long enough it will induce a Pavlovian response, so plan carefully now for results later! Great post. xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. We did exactly the same naf fake sleigh bells moment, only Roboboy was so busy talking and not even stopping to breathe that he TALKED all through the bells and did not even hear them.
    I have all these nasty "musical" toys in the " Rock band box" hidden in a high cupboard and saved for moments like when toddler playgroup is degenerating but we want them to last another 10 minutes by forming a tribute band. The Sesame St saxaphone and leapfrog French singing and counting guitar make a super combination mix.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Haha ... hilarious!
    Some toys just never quite find their function ... I very much like the tasks you've tried to give it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. some toys are just lame like that.
    your ginger girl looks so adorable in those stripy leggings.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like R&S's idea. Wave it around the bush turkey. Or better yet, throw it at them! Maybe you could take it to your interview, that would impress them.
    HUGS

    p.s. love your soft furnishing and the dolly on it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I want to squeeze those cheeks. Martha is so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  16. and this is me waving hello! hi! i missed completely that you got your sanity back and returned to blogswamp! iam thrilled...and could read a bunch of posts in one go. fun! the quilt is amazing, i am just a tiny bit jealous for your discipline and hard work! need to learn and get inspired from that if i want any quilt done in this world. and that patio dress, wow, lovely! please post a pic once you wear it and have that cool drink.
    happy to see you again!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Brilliant post - very funny. Adorable children.
    A xx
    http://anyaadores.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  18. Exorcism sleigh bells...who knew they'd be in such hot demand?

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'd like one that made my children put their own shoes and socks on in the morning while I clean my teeth.

    ReplyDelete