Monday, March 28, 2011

A rejuvenated cat, exquisite fabric and teen idols.

Of course, I was always going to fix Spotty Cat.

You may not recognise him.


Ta Da!

In our house, we are very particular about with whom we retire at night.


So Spotty's owner was a tad restless without him


They've been together since Day Dot.

So to let Spot catch a gust of wind, and deflatedly blow away, was not an option.


Thank goodness, the fabric Queen of Washington State, KLT, sent two great bundles of beautiful fabric my way.


I was able to incorporate some Marimekko, Amy Butler (I think?), and Moda into Spotty. Thanks KLT. You're my hero!



Here's a bit of the greatness that KLT posted in one of her tote bags.



I'm just letting you imagine the sewing possibilities.




Much of it I'll use in Child One's quilt. 

Let's brainstorm it.

Bullet points at-the-ready.

  • Large, unironed Marimekko bedspread 
  • Rocked it. Circa 1974.
  • Never want to cut it up.
  • Use the entire thing.
  • Backing for Child One's quilt.
  • Messy bed.
  • Queen-sized.
  • A lot of squares.
  • Library convention.

  • Random eight-inch squares.
  • That's not enough.
  • I can't do the maths.
  • Just keep cutting squares until we have a big pile. 
  • The cutting blade scares me.

  • Throw down KLT-sourced fabric to get a colour vibe/moody-tween-board.
  • Thinking orange and pink.
  • Spots and stripes.
  • Different sized squares in round pegs?
  • Such a great range of fabrics. 
  • A lot more modern than vintage sheets. 
  • That's enough for today. 
  • We'll brainstorm later.
  • I need a tea.

  • The Biebs has suddenly appeared on the wall.
  

  • He's no John Taylor.

35 comments:

  1. Thank God Spotty Cat survived. You're quite the surgeon. Fantastic fabrics. Strange bullet points. What's the library got to do with it? And the Biebs. Ah, he's no Joey Perrone either. I must have been insane when I was 13. That quilt's going to be the bees knees.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so happy Spotty made a recovery - he's looking great! What a great stash of fabrics, they're delicious and will make a perfect quilt.
    Oh dear, my condolences about the Beiber arrival. He is most definitely NOT Jon Taylor, or any decent, super cool singer from our era :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anna,
    Joey Perrone. He's a pretty bad teen idol. I wonder if anyone can top him? Joey Perrone.

    The sewing on Spotty is very dodgy and haphazard. His owner doesn't mind, thank goodness.

    I was taught to brainsstorm by putting anything down that came into one's head, and library convention came straight to mind after 'a lot of squares'. (Librarians will now leave my blog. I know I have two readers with a library link. I still love them.)

    And Justin Bieber I suddenly discovered blue-tacked to Child One's wall this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hopefully Spotty Cat will come to the rescue and save the day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Justin Bieber is so not John Taylor. More's the pity.

    Loving the fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  6. -Spotty Cat looks sensational. You've done a great job, I love the 'sinister' thing he has going on now. I reckon there is going to be some 'cat burglary' in your neighbourhood now.
    -material looks great.
    -Love a crazy patchwork quilt.
    -8 inch blocks are a great size
    -Love bullet points and brainstorming. I should do more of it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. -PS I was a big YTT fan but Joey wasn't my fave.
    -I hope Justin doesn't follow in MJ's weird, fame crazy path.
    -MMMC, daughter one is developing normally.Good to see
    -Wish I still had my ABBA scrapbooks

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, good. I get the library thing now. Very good brainstorming.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Spotty looks great , you did a marvellous job there MMMC! and im loving those piles of fabrics , i will be off to check out KLT. I love Spottys' supercat mask , he is very cute! (and so is John Taylor)

    ReplyDelete
  10. You make me laugh. I am pleased I just had boys now. The Beibs doesn't feature around here. And Spotty looks great after his cosmetic surgery. Can't wait to see your lovely quilt when it is finished - such amazing fabric!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love Spotty and I am very pleased that you were able to patch him up. He does look very cool!!

    Love your stash of fabric.I would need a tea just looking at that lot.

    Pam x

    ReplyDelete
  12. .We have Bieb hair on two 12 year olds cultivated since last August. One stayed home sick last week when I was going to the hairdressers. Got him!
    .My 4 brothers gave me a natural aversion to teen crushes.
    .Spotty looks quite mysterious and Zorro-esque.
    .I thought the library reference was to one of those community quilting projects where everyone cuts 5 squares each and you boss them. That quiltin' party/ Waltons thing is still lurking in my brain.

    ReplyDelete
  13. WOW - Spotty Cat looks amazing. He's definitely the 'new and improved' model.

    As for all that wonderful fabric ... *drool*
    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those scraps are great.
    Spotty looks rather french so perhaps he is now boutonneux? He must be a lot easier to fit in Child 3's bed than that blue sofa.
    Sorry to hear about the Bieber.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am so happy spotty cat is alive and kicking. Now I really believe you should become a plastic surgeon for cats.

    Justin...who??

    ReplyDelete
  16. Actually, the more I look at Spotty Cat's mask, the more ridiculous he looks.

    I like how some of you are bullet-point brainstorming. And how there's quite a number of John Taylor fans. Nice.

    Reader 3, I think I first heard about the Biebs at your house.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Bobbi,
    He's not related to Paul Newman. That's all you need to know. Don't enter the World of Beiber.

    ReplyDelete
  18. oh I love Spotty cat now! super hero that he is. Individual One-off, no Copy-Cat here.
    Oh dear I remember how my Mum carried on when I put up pics of Pop Stars with hair in their eyes, John, Paul, George & Ringo were their names♥

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hoora for spotty cat. What an amazing stash of fabric, the quilt sounds fantastic. Go beiber, so cute she is growing up your big girl.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Katherine,
    I'm not used to big kids. I'm only used to babies. How do you manage the big ones?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love SUPER Spotty's extreme makeover- although at this point a cape is looking somewhat necessary- and so many fabric options to choose from. That fabric pile is so fruit salad colourful it's gorgeous. Bring on the quilt.
    Oh and Bieber is surely less offensive than Dylan from 90201 who I'm sure was wall art back in my day.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Bungalowgirl,
    You made me laugh OUT LOUD re 90210. Of course, Dylan and Branden, though I think I was slightly too-old by then to have them in my wall. My final wall-candy was Michael J. Fox from memory.

    I will make Spotty Cat a cape. I need something to distract from his wonky eye-mask.

    Everyone's so supportive. Love youse all.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm embarrassed that the Bieb is Canadian. However, I'm pleased that MJ Fox is. Good taste, MMMC. I love Spotty's mask. I can't believe he belongs to Child 3. Spotty must have 9 lives. At least.

    All your fabric looks groovy.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Dear Spotty, you look great! have you had some work done? looking mighty buff !
    the Biebs...we love to love him at our house - just cos!

    ReplyDelete
  25. love spotty cat's new look, so colorful!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Spotty Cat looks swell---can't even tell he's Had Work Done.

    40 years old and that photo of John Taylor still made me gasp out loud. You can take the girl out of Junior High...

    ReplyDelete
  27. I´m freaking out here, You are too funny! I went back to read on Your blog I don´t know how far in time. Thank You for sharing Your point of view in such an obvious way.

    Now to get stuck here on Your blog was not was I was supposed to do, but looking back with reflection I must say that getting stuck here was perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Mimi has Bieber Feever....I loved Andy Gibb and Bee Gees the big hair and all!!! remember those bell bottoms....crazy good!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Spotty now brings Cary Grant to mind as a cat burglar in a Hitchcock film with Grace Kelly.
    For me, he was my man, but forget the name of the picture .
    A red cape would set off the burglar illusion.
    Now, your reader who gratuitously sent those fabulous fabrics must get a gold star surely?
    Big confession from eons past - I had Buick cars from the Saturday Evening Post on my adolescent walls.
    Now, I tend more towards Australian artists and cute unused tea towels, together with the odd plate or wall ceramic.
    Always eclectic to a fault perhaps.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Excellent job on Spotty. I know who to come to for a bit of tweaking.
    So does this mean you know all the lyrics to Biebster?

    ReplyDelete
  31. happy to see him ready for another go. great job! and i simply loved your joke over at my place. hahahhaa! i guess if nothing else convinced me before, this will indeed be a wonderful and hilarious reason to keep blogging.

    more quilts? what a a nice collection of fabrics. haven't started mine yet. even though the baby who was suppose to be the owner is almost out and about.

    love

    ReplyDelete
  32. Can i just redeem myself a little and state that I also LOOOOOVED MJ Fox? And Jason Bateman. After a recent sesh of Arrested Development watching, I googled him and realised that I got married before he did. What was I doing with my time? Probably still trying to go out with as many boys called Jason as possible...
    Ah, Spotty Cat. What wicked webs we weave...

    ReplyDelete
  33. I am always amazed at kids who can fall asleep in places other than their beds or in the car...my kids are want their bed or my arms. thats it!
    and spotty looks incredible with the mask and all the new color! clever patches. all that colorful fabric looks delicious! fun stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  34. -spotty cat is quite the stylish cat (burglar / superhero?) these days...
    -took a while, but i finally got the library / square thing (luckily I enjoy making fun of library people, even when I'm married to one)
    - I actually met a really fun librarian yesterday, who was helping me look for research articles (actually, maybe this is a bad thing to admit... I think I just suggested it was fun to read journal articles...)
    - reading Anna's comments and enjoying nostalgic thoughts about my school folder dedicated to MJ Fox...

    ReplyDelete