Wednesday, March 9, 2011

World Domination: One Floral Shirt at a Time


Here is my floral shirt, post legal-interview. Thus far, it's done me heaps of favours and will continue to do so, as I wear it to traipse into a small suburban legal firm on a once-weekly basis to learn the ropes.


The shirt is hanging in what is actually a very interesting piece of furniture. It is a two-sided red-cedar wardrobe which my parents got made for me in the late 1970s. I don't think they make much furniture this size in red cedar any more.

I hated it when I was little, but I love it now. It has various sections, shelves, dovetailed drawers, a pants' hanger, but it needs a good polish, as I have neglected it a bit in recent years.

Red cedar is such a soft wood ... you really only have to look at it the wrong way and a resultant dent will appear.


It was manufactured by the Brisbane cabinet makers, Bell Brothers, and it is part of single bedroom suite which includes a mirrored dressing table, two bedside tables and a four-poster bed.


One day I'll give the suite to one of my daughters ... I suspect the eldest won't want them, so that leaves this child.


At present, I have to remove the drawers from the dressing table, because the above child shows too much interest in them.


These drawers contain my messy collection of loosely-termed 'jewellery'. For my interview, I fished out some strands of old pearls my mother gave me years ago.


She tells me they are Japanese pearls, and the only reason I have them is because my father bought them for a girlfriend prior to my mother.


Sometimes you've gotta love the previous girfriends.

Smile!

32 comments:

  1. Hi MMMC just checking in, I got all confuzzled with the no more blogging, then here I am again-ness, but I'm glad I still get to catch up on all things MMMC! P.S I am in awe of your 5 years of study and now becoming a lawyer all the while raising your 4 gorgeous minis. And keeping us abreast of all things Moomin et al. You're rubbing off on me, I am now and have been for awhile on a desperate MC couch hunt. We call it a Don, but they were also Morgan and Vono versions here. Maybe others, I saw you have one in your bedroom one day when I was stalking old posts for inspiration. Different manufacturers over there do you know? It's the one that folds down to a sofa bed. and looks easy to re-cover. I need one. Anyhoo, good luck on the interviews, but who are we kidding, you're going to kick arse at anything you turn your hand to, we can already see that. Phew I'm feeling verbose tonight ! Good night!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I imagine your mother may have looked like Martha in the last picture when she found out she was wearing pearls intended for another.....

    So glad you gave up on giving up blogging. My day needs a dose of mid century salts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So your interview was successful! Many congratulations. I think your shirt is beautiful and not remotely unsuitable for the Law. Best of luck with all endeavours, including scrubbing up your youngest's face.
    X

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh well done to your shirt for getting you that once-weekly learning-the-ropes gig!

    That picture of Martha is priceless...so unaware of the treasures she will inherit.

    And your parents had good taste for fine furniture. Lucky you and Martha! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. love your cabinet and (the diry face of) your daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful piece of furniture, beautiful floral blouse (all the best with the suburban law firm ... congratulations), and beautiful, beautiful baby girl.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love spaghetti face! Congratulations on the new gig.
    Your drawers remind me of mine. Organised and efficent! Don't worry your daughter will change her tastes. I know I have over the years.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yah! So you got the job then? That's fantastic news.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Legoman's ex girlfriends unfortunately did not provide me with jewellery, however as all of them have either been to jail ( fraud), admitted to New Farm clinic because they were nuts or were already single mothers when he met them age 19, I just come up looking really good, even with PMS psychosis. Go the floral shirts by the way, although was expecting larger 80's inspired florals after the previous post- perhaps you can push the floral envelope once you have your foot well and truly wedged into the door.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Carmel, you really make me laugh, especially as a lawyer! And we totally do the 'place the bedside table drawers on the bed' trick, too! Otherwise Quicksilver Sam is up to his usual tricks (one necklace broken today, for example). J x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank heavens for previous girlfriends:)!!

    With a floral shirt, pearls and a fancy Bell Brothers cedar wardrobe you are the luckiest woman I know!! Go gettem girl!

    Pam x

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love those piece of furnitures. And I love Martha's expression. That pasta must have been really good...My dad had many girlfriends before my mom but I didn't get anything from them, just love letters with many grammar mistakes. NO wonder my dad married my mom in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That Martha is such a cutie! I think she needs her own blog. I love your floral number, I think I suspect that you and I have another similarity....have you been dressing the same since you were about 15? (or perhaps even younger now be honest ha hmmm) me too ha. The security of a floral shirt should not be underrated. Don't even get me started on striped t shirts, jeans, brightly colored shoes....how do you juggle the little ones on your work days?

    ReplyDelete
  14. A big congrats on the job front. Well done you!
    Now Martha you may be onto something with that spaghetti facial treatment. I am sure it would do a better Job than estee laudr!! You do often remind me of my 'bubbler boy', I have a feeling you would get up to similar mischief.....

    ReplyDelete
  15. Bell Brothers furniture. Ooh la la! Your parents must have been swisho back in the 70's. I bet you 2 colour tvs too ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love that he got the pearls back from her!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the concept of a bedroom suite. You don't seem to see them so much now!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hurrah! You got the gig! The flowered shirt was just the ticket. Your wardrobe is gorgeous, your parents have exquisite taste in furniture and jewelery(Dad). I can't believe the gal gave the pearls back.
    Martha is exquisite as well, even while wearing her food. An heiress, to be sure.

    ReplyDelete
  19. That is beautiful ...my husband builds custom cabinets and furniture for a living and we did a bathroom vanity in red cedar and we told them also are you sure it is a soft wood....we saw it after 8 years and it still looks perfect but these people are a little anal! did I spell that right oh well.....love your floral shirt momma...

    ReplyDelete
  20. your baby is just the cutest!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Stickin it in style i see! pearls were the kicker. lucky Martha, that's a beautiful piece!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Gosh that is one cute kid! I think you should strategically place her in all your photos, like those childrens books that have a little character hiding in all their pictures... Good luck with your interview!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hurrah! Congrats to you and your shirt.

    ReplyDelete
  24. hooray for the shirt! (well, actually, congratulations to you...)

    ReplyDelete
  25. So where to you wear the yellow plastic round doll thing in your jewellery drawer?? Does it accessorise with the floral blouse??
    Second hand pearls (um, how did they come back to your father, bit nosey but you know, usually the gift receipiant saying 'these were from an old boyfriend' not from my father's exgirlfriend) & did the food-in-the-eye sting?? Love Posie

    ReplyDelete
  26. Lis,
    I think I had a breakdown for about 6 days. And then I recovered. So I came back because I missed everyone.

    I think those couches are generically called 'click-clack' sofas. Mine was made in Brisbane by the Vuer Chair Company. It doesn't turn into a day bed though.

    Brismod may know more about some specific manufacturers of 'click clack sofas'. Another company may be 'Fler' who made them?

    Estelle,
    hello. Long time no hear. I think we all miss you.

    Jane, yes, the shirt really was quite conservative. Little steps. Little steps.

    Brismod, Ingrid, Fiona and CurlyPops, thank you.

    R&S, I wanted to trade it all in for 80s 'chunky tube'. Thank goodness I was told in now uncertain terms that there'd be no 'chunky tube' swap.

    Bungalow girl, I can safely say I was never one of your husband's old flames.

    Jane, I'm sick of having broken things. So it's a bit like the bottom of the Christmas tree being bare.

    Pam, I have no idea why she returned them. I don't really care to be honest, foolish woman!

    Bobbi,
    correct spelling can be a clincher for some people.

    OBH, I think a lot of my dress sense was developed in the late 80s when everyone under 25 dressed like they were 40. Workplace is being very flexible and it's only one-day-a-week. Childcare isn't particularly family-friendly.

    Megan,
    Martha would love to get her head under that bubbler of yours!

    Little Miss A-G,
    all I remember is we watched a lot of MASH.

    FrauS, I don't know how he got them back. I should ask him.

    AFW,
    bedroom suites are a bit of a dated concept, I think.

    Deb, we missed you today.

    Heidi, it's amazingly soft wood. I wonder how it would handle a bathroom? I love cedar though ... a lot of Australian colonial furniture was made in it. Lovely.

    Evelyn, Milady, Stella, M-L and Catherine, thank you as well.

    Posie,
    the yellow dolly rattle needs repairing ... see Jane's comment above. It's been relegated to the drawer until I get time to fix it. And I don't know how Dad got the pearls back ... and Martha is 'smiling'. That's her signature 'smile'.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Yay! for floral shirts, one-day-a-week jobs, parents with great taste in furniture (and pearls) and old girlfriends. Double Yay! for Martha - she is very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  28. You got the job! Congratulations :)

    And that's a pretty blouse too.

    ReplyDelete
  29. lol.
    love your son. to cute!!

    ♥
    Pearl

    ReplyDelete
  30. I bet it smells like cedar too :) Love the pearl story - a classic I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Gorgeous closet! Loving the dark wood color! Enjoy the beautiful weekend, Kellie xx

    ReplyDelete