I was thinking about the bits and pieces people send me, and I thought I should give something back.
So, I went to the Op Shop yesterday and picked up a little thing here ... such as some retro place mats ...
And a little thing there ... such as these Chinese girls going kung-fu on each other.
A green squirrel egg cup.
I was served by an irritating woman with a cockney rhyming-slang accent who knew WAY TOO MUCH for my liking about collectible ceramics.
I saw this bowl for $15 and had a quiet FREAK-OUT when I turned it over and saw this ...
It was nestled in the below bowl which had no price tag and the same stamp on its base ... so I thought I'd struck the jackpot. But my tinker-tailor check-out 'friend' told me $15- for two Clarice Cliff bowls was unthinkable. So she made me pay another $15 for the green bowl.
Turns out they're not terribly collectible after all, as Clarice Cliff mass-produced bowls through Royal Staffordshire for years ... So every cockney so-and-so's probably got one knocking about the Old Mother Hubbard.
The floral one will sit under the watchful eye of Mary, minding my, loosely-termed, Tom Foolery.
So, to the GIVEAWAY. I thought I'd giveaway, to anyone who cares, this wooden apple, this ceramic deer (I see them everywhere ... they're fairly de rigeur), this Bakelite-type bracelet (it's not that old, but it's pretty funky) as well as this brand-new modish placemat (good for photos or putting under the dog's dish).
Bearing in mind that a lot of you aren't of the Mid-Century bent, I'll also offer this hand-painted glass vase. I actually really like it. I think my mother has one a bit bigger. The initials of the artist are AN.AL. which is unfortunate, but that's life.
So, just leave a comment and tell me which of the two Giveaways you'd prefer.
Something else which is a bit unfortunate, is the placement of the hole through which one pulls these baby wipes.
One minute you think, "Oh, pretty baby ..." And then,
Egad! What the King Tut?*
80 all-over-cleansing wipes pulled straight from the nasal cavity.
* Do you like my allusion to the ancient Egyptian practise of extracting a Pharoah's brain through the nose as part of the mummification process, combined with my own cockney rhyming slang?
* Do you like my allusion to the ancient Egyptian practise of extracting a Pharoah's brain through the nose as part of the mummification process, combined with my own cockney rhyming slang?
Tissues made me laugh out loud. Goes to show that I've been out of the wet ones game for too long. Just wanted to check in and say 'hi' as I've not been the best at blogging back lately. Not wishing to join giveaway as I've already been lucky enough to be treated to that gorgeous Christmas ornament you generously gave away in December. Trace
ReplyDeleteMake mine mid-century, Make Mine Mid-Century. Ha!
ReplyDeleteYour local op shop is way more interesting than mine. There is not one kungfu fighting Chinese ceramic girl at ours! xx
You made me laugh so hard I had wipes coming out of my nose! Love your op shop finds- that green bowl with built in handles is awesome. Don't count me in the give away either- the only clutter allowed into my house currently is of a fabric/sewing nature.
ReplyDeleteOh, we just popped into the local op shop did we? And picked up a few things, did we? Your local op shop looks fantastic. Please visit some more. And then you could start a second blog. An op shop blog. Or as they're known in lofty circles, ope shopes. Because you have a lot of time on your hands for blogging. Please count me in for the awaygive. And you know which I'd prefer. x
ReplyDelete10 points for effort with the baby wipes!!
ReplyDeleteOh the wooden apple is fantastic, i know which giveaway i'd skip to find in my letter box.
Damn those know it all types at those shops, i wonder if they know so much or are collectors, which pieces they snaffle before the regular people are allowed to take them home.
Love Posie
Yeah , ive noticed a woman who volunteers at my local oppy has her own business down the road dealing in secondhand goods! Too cheeky i say! Love the giveaway(s) Carmel cant beat a bit of kitsch!
ReplyDeleteWow, Clarice Cliff, I would be freaking out on the inside too! My local oppie has nothing so exciting. I love the little deer - cute and the bracelet! Poor child on the packet - painful!
ReplyDeleteI was recently told by my Aunt that when going through her mother-in-law's things she came across two ORIGINAL CLARICE CLIFFS that were HAND-SIGNED. She sold them some time later for $600 each. Wonder what they are worth now ...
ReplyDeleteHahaha! Oh you make me laugh. That baby wipe package is maybe as unfortunate as AN. A. L. Or not...
ReplyDeleteI would love to enter the giveaway for the apple ( reading snow white right now) the deer, ( Henry sings Do Re Mi all day long) and the bracelet ( well, for me of course!)
You have some great charity shops, the green bowl is pretty special. Nice finds!
Thanks, Carmel.
Oh my! That wipe-expelling child it hilariously terrifying!
ReplyDeleteThe baby wipes, priceless! Of course you know I'd love the vase, however it may not survive the journey.
ReplyDeleteOur shop here prices things indiscriminately. Something valuable will go for nothing and something worthless they'll put a high price on. Canadians, what do they know!
sigh, I love reading your blog.
ReplyDeleteThat baby wipe photo was such an off guard, laugh out loud moment, hilarious!
ReplyDeleteLove your finds count me in for my someday Mid-century room!
ReplyDeleteBangles and bambis and apples...oh my!
ReplyDeleteThe quiet freakout is an acquired skill is it not? I clearly remember speaking through clenched jaw in a controlled quiet voice whilst the heart was a-racing to the beat of a certain German jug.
The thrill of the chase is the best bit...so much more fun than retail!
That green dish is lovely.
That vase is Orrefors.(Sweden).
ReplyDeleteMine still has its original label.
That is a very good find despite the rude remarks on the (can I say?) bottom.
Those kung fu girls are a scream...Girl Power! The egypt thing really freaks me out. I used to tell my boys about brain extraction to get them to stop putting their fingers you know where. I used to tell them if they weren't careful they'd snag a bit of brain and then their brain would come out and they would have no brain....yes that is mothering my style 101...scare the children, I also used threats and bribes. Strangely they are both very nice boys if I do say so myself. Hope you have a lovely weekend.
ReplyDeleteBecause I have an eye for purely quality, I knew that vase was posh. I probably should have checked with DMC first. Because of the artist's initials it is probably made by Orifice Sweden. Ha! Ha!
ReplyDeletePS.
ReplyDeleteIs there no end to available openings possessed by the human body? Tissues from one, crystal from another?
Reminds me though, I forgot to mention that the wooden apple is undoubtedly hand carved Danish teak.
Another gem without the previous references.
It could be Danish. I'm not sure.
ReplyDeleteIf only I could make money from this sort of thing and then I wouldn't have to be a lawyer.
I think Melissa's op shop lady already does and why has your wooden blackbird suddenly gone grey. It could be the miracle of the Mary, Mary.
ReplyDeleteOh wow, you're hilarious (or 'hilair'as my tween would say!). Love the placements so my pick is the mid-century giveaway!
ReplyDeleteEven my husband is laughing. I think you and I would have a ripe ol time opshopping we seem to share the same attitude and approach to the purchase of secondhand goods from smelly shops with resident cockney knowitalls (I kid you not I know of one)I try to avoid her and get the witless 90 yr old to serve me. The thing is the 90 year old is a bit deaf so you have to shout and then of course the knowitall hears you asking her how much a cup/bracelet/book is and at the speed of a bullet is standing behind the counter giving her ten cents worth whilst elbowing the 90yr old out of the way and taking over the sale. If she doesnt hoik the price up she makes you feel like you stole it for paying the price that was on it. Sound familiar?
ReplyDelete