Usually, I employ these supermarket-supplied plastic bags to gather and collect my fruit and vegetables.
But lovely littlegreenbums Wendy from Milwaukee Wisconsin, was kind enough to send me this beautiful tote (now my handbag) she made ...
as well as these 'produce bags' which she also made. How Wendy manages to sew 'produce' and tote bags with her six children in tow is beyond me.
I had no idea what 'produce bags' were before I read about them on Wendy's blog. But they're bags you put your 'produce' in - Milwaukee-style ... when you're wrestling with half-a-dozen children.
One of those bags contained these ...
These things are now fingers of gold because Cyclone Yasi wiped out a significant percentage of the Nation's banana crop ... so I expect prices to soar.
I had no idea what 'produce bags' were before I read about them on Wendy's blog. But they're bags you put your 'produce' in - Milwaukee-style ... when you're wrestling with half-a-dozen children.
One of those bags contained these ...
These things are now fingers of gold because Cyclone Yasi wiped out a significant percentage of the Nation's banana crop ... so I expect prices to soar.
(We got new sandals.)
There are some plastic, passe 'produce' bags in the distance waiting for old ladies to rip them off and use them.
Not me! I march to my own Milwaukee-inspired drum.
Not me! I march to my own Milwaukee-inspired drum.
I'm an 'old bag' using 'all-cloth' bags! Thank you very much, Milwaukee! (I enjoy saying 'Milwaukee' with a 'Laverne and Shirley' accent in my head).
(Kisses for our new tooth brush!)
I like to give my new toothbrushes a kiss too! Saltwaters!!
ReplyDeleteZigsma,
ReplyDeleteGood spotting!!
And 'clean teeth' kisses everything ... even other babies in other prams ... walks right up to them and gives them a sloppy wet one ... doesn't impress other mothers very much.
That's a grand idea and congratulations to you to remember to bring them in with you.That's my biggest problem. Cherrie
ReplyDeleteHello I am India (I know you don't like unannounced Anons). I live in Red Hill and I discovered you through your very funny comments on Restoring the Old Girl's blog.
ReplyDeleteAnyhoo- love the Saltwater sandals - please tell me you found them in Oz at a reasonable price.
India
Sweet little "clean teeth"! Love the new sandals. If you're an old bag what the heck am I? Stock up on those bananas. Your new bags are very nice.
ReplyDeleteHello India,
ReplyDeleteSorry, I sound like a blog tyrant. (I'm trying to lighten-up a bit!)
I found Martha's sandals yesterday at Cocoon at Paddington. I boldly suggested to the ladies there that they stock some women's sizes because 'they're all the rage!'. They said they'd think about it, and then they suggested I leave! (Joking).
They cost $65 ... which is probably expensive for kids' shoes ... but Martha was barefoot and I've heard very good things about Saltwaters.
I also know you can buy them from Little Pinwheel for the same price http://www.littlepinwheel.com.au ... you may have known that?
I love your bags! I hate using those small plastic bags but sometimes I have no choice (grapes for example) Im going to have to make some. Megan xx
ReplyDeleteGood on you MMMC for remembering to take those bags food shopping. You've inspired me to think about my shopping 'system' (which doesn't exist at present)
ReplyDeleteMartha is very 'cutting edge' with those sandals. I think they are fantastic.
I have been reluctant to buy them off the internet as I fear disappointment.
I wore something like them when I was little (brown leather only) I think they called them Mickey Mouse sandals???
Aren't you the stylish bag lady? What sweet, generous blogger pals we have. Martha's new shoes are the bomb diggity! Tell her to keep planting those kisses on unsuspecting cheeks.
ReplyDeleteDeb,
ReplyDeleteyou're an old bag too.
Willywagtail,
I had to make a conscious effort to remember them.
Megan,
I promised Wendy I'd show her her bags in action ... I just get sick of all the plastic bags floating around our house, more than anything. They are a waste. It felt good not using any plastic bags at all!
O&E,
you could make some. The check-out boy didn't bat an eyelash at them. I left them open so he could see what was inside ... they're sort of transparent. And they're light weight so they shouldn't add to the cost of bananas.
And re sandals ... I think they should bring that concept back for school. Seriously, this heat demands them.
MCM,
we do have sweet, generous blog pals. And I bet we're all gorgeous in the looks department too!
I was considering going and buying up every banana in the shop. But I believe I may be too late. "Panic Banana Buying"? Yep, I'm there. Unfortunately that leaves me no time to make eco bags. Bananas wait for no mother. Enjoy every skerrick of yours!
ReplyDeleteThe bags are great, and you have to Love a girl who Loves her toothbrush!♥
ReplyDeleteFantastic! I picked up some mesh bags to use for my fresh food shopping, but they're no where near as fancy as yours (and I often forget to take them with me to the supermarket ... I think my brain is failing me as I get older ... )
ReplyDelete;)
Anna,
ReplyDeletesomeone told me today that bananas are actually herbs. Yes.
I haven't checked the accuracy of that wild statement ... but I countered by saying that I always thought banana plants weren't trees, but grass. That again may be completely ludicrous.
I hope one of our Readers is a horticuluralist or a North Queensland Banana farmer who can shed some light.
Lyndel,
Oral hygiene. What's not to love?
Technically from our days with Shazza Bedford? you know our high school science geek teacher the thing we eat called a banana is a fruit as there are seeds. However the plant that produces fruit which is described as a tree is not a tree as it is a herbaceous plant which some people call a herb thus creating the confusion. It is not a tree since the trunk does not contain a true wood.
ReplyDeleteDid those bags confuse the hell out of the checkout chicks?
ReplyDeleteKotaatok,
ReplyDeleteyou genius!
Curlypops,
the checkout chick was a boy and he didn't care. I don't think he really cared to be there, either.
Hi, I just discovered your blog. I saw you at Ingtings! Love the bags.
ReplyDeletegrt, Helmi
I was one of those old bags this afternoon, but managed to corral the bananas without one. They were cheap, but as you say...stock up now! And kudos for those very fancypants produce bags. I'm impressed, and I don't impress easily :))
ReplyDeleteRest easy, I've googled it. Bananas are both a fruit and a herb.
ReplyDeleteMy mother fed me far too many of those herbaceous yellow fruits as a child.. can't go near them. Unless in a cake of course.
Excellent enviro friendly bags - good work Wendy!
I told the kids to take a long look at the bananas at brekky because they wouldn't be seeing any for a while. They're not the kind of thing you can stock pile and I couldn't face the supermarket excitement as the banana table unloaded into the frantic arms of the public. We really missed them after Larry when they cost as much as albino humpback roe and the kids had more limited palettes.
ReplyDeleteI have never saw a pink banana in my whole life. I'm not sure i like it. I'm quite traditional about fruit.
ReplyDeleteYor offer about my giveaway was sweet, but if you were the winner you would hav gao the necklace!! It's for friends, not customers!
Cute bag and I love her new shoes!
ReplyDeleteDear MMMC,
ReplyDeleteI'm an old bag too.
Love, Ariane.
I love Wendy!! Love Posie
ReplyDeleteThanks for the tip re: Cocoon. I have seen adult ones somewhere online in Australia - if I rememeber will let you know.
ReplyDeleteIndia