Someone once asked me why the 'Bull' motif featured so often in Mid-Century design.
I had no answer, but I do have a lot of Matador and Bull thingame-jiggle-your-gogo-wobbly-bits about the house.
Maybe Herb Alpert & the Tijuana Brass had something to do with it.
(When you've put so much work into a PUSH-THE-ENVELOPE stage design, you may as well get as many film clips out of it as you can.)
Hee Hee! That was me.
ReplyDeleteIt was a bit of a flavour of the decade at the time. Even Hemmingway was into the whole bull fighting thing. Wasn't it seen to be a bit avant guard and bohemian? Remember in Big Wednesday when they have the wild time in Tijuana. Maybe all things Mexican helped people feel they were dropping out and tuning in even if they still worked in an ad studio or doctor's surgery or engineering firm. Then it just went mainstream and commercial- a bit like birds are in 2011 except everyone was "sticking a bull on it." (How funny is that Portlandia thing?)
ReplyDeleteI totally remember that song. My sister had the record album! Later, she did her first home's living room in "Mediterranean" with a picture of a Matador over the couch! I was in the seventh grade when that song came out!
ReplyDeleteSo random, and I love it! You may be shocked to know I haven't seen this video before? Love her white dress, the person sitting playing the maracas as if at a cafe, and that deep bass guitar. All in B&W to boot. I can hear the martini, or is it margarita, being prepared as I write... XOL
ReplyDeleteBrings back memories. my primary school used to play that tune before the final bell went! Must have been 77ish
ReplyDeleteyou crack me up!
ReplyDeleteDear Carmel,
ReplyDeleteI tried hard, but sorry, I can't hear/see that song. "Not available in your country!"
I'm so happy, that Vogue Living Australia in Germany is available. It's very expensive...about, hem and how... 22 Aus.$. BUT it's a soooo very nice mag (stories, photos, layout, colours, high quality). I become this beauty one month later. So you can see the Nov./Dec. 2010 issue at my place. I confess that I thougth by doing this post at you, Carmel: please, take a look at the koala in my hands!
Thank you for never ending inspiration,
Love, Ariane.
Ariane,
ReplyDeleteI'll go back and look for the koala! Funny! I missed him.
Annie,
You make me laugh! Put.A.Bull.On.It!
Annie sums it up best! The trumpeteer was trying to be so expressive with his come hither eyebrows. The melody and those harmonies with the aaaaahs, does give a sense of a lonely bull.
ReplyDeleteI love that music - was it on a tv show or something?
ReplyDelete