This tune by Herb Alpert &The Tijuana Brass the Spanish Flea, for some reason, gave me and my younger brothers much side-splitting enjoyment when we discovered it among our parents record collection.
We used to drop the needle, over-and-over, on the old LP and laugh our little heads off ... I don't know if it was the silly melody, or the maracas or the clip-clop 'horsey' sound (don't get me started on Horsey ... ).
This tune is a lead-up to my next post. Exciting!
This tune is a lead-up to my next post. Exciting!
It IS exciting! Will we be seeing Spanish fleas go go dancing? Will we see you and your brother go go dancing? I forgot all about Herbie until you put this up. Wow.
ReplyDeleteYes! Yes! We used to lacerate Mum and Dad's Herb record amongst others. We would also turn it up to 45rpm for added hilarity and silly dancing. That special family style carried on through several shared Uni/ sibling houses and is occasionally reprised at family weddings these days. Herb was quite the Dapper Dan himself, wasn't he?
ReplyDeleteThe set-designer has a lot to answer for on this clip ... there's a stuffed bear-thing at the outdoor setting, crazy carpet paying and a pond? The go-go dancer on the bottom right is having a hard time convincing anyone she has much rhythm ... probably the set-designer's main squeeze.
ReplyDeleteYou know, on a second watching, I think this li'l canteena would be right up our alley for a sultry night of clubbing a-go-go. You could hold the MMMC AGM and fly in delegates from Canada and Scandi world. I do believe it would be a hoot. If dance style is dodgy all the better. We could all wear our mothers' clothes from the 60's/ 70's and pouf our hair appropriately. Do you think Herb does blog functions?
ReplyDeleteThree words....THE DATING GAME!!! You just brought back a zillion memories. Links you have to watch...
ReplyDeletehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tS_2sAGYI-Q
and
California governor....really???
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCH3w_LnmHE&feature=related
Thank you MMMC...another fabulous post.
One last thing, someone should fire the choreographer.
Oh that gave me a good chuckle. I have a friend who is a GoGo dance teacher. It is so much fun. Next time she hits Brisbane and does a class, I shall invite you!! xx
ReplyDeleteoh I love it... just as much today as I did back in '67 however.. what were those girls doing.. surely not dancing!!!!
ReplyDeleteOMG, just as I was typing this hubby called out from other room...You playing Herb Alpert music?
Annie, your comment made me laugh! Herb would do blog functions, I'm sure. But it looks like he'd prefer to mime his trumpet playing, so I;d have to find the album.
ReplyDeleteMCM,
I watched those two links and was snorting with laughter! Too funny! How's Arnie?
Brismod,
why not?! Ha! How funny!
Lyndel,
you should play the clip again, pull out all your scarves and do the Dance of the Seven Veils for your husband!
My house is hot enough for a TJ band to be playing here. Phew!!
ReplyDeleteThanks for your sweet comments on my blog, i do have a fast paced life with additional children (clearly 4 aren't enough, i go looking for trouble) & glide through my day. I do sleep, but in this weather & with my husband away, not well. Love Posie
I had no idea that's what this song was called. I have to say I love the daggy set. My sister and I would play Elvis Presley songs on the turntable when we were little and totally cack ourselves when we turned up the speed. Ah, the good ol' days :)
ReplyDeleteLOVE a bit of Herb Alpert. When I hear it, "thinking music" comes to mind, especially the part that sounds like a ticking clock. Whah wha-wha wha wha wha-wha whaaaaaaa!
ReplyDeleteah ha haha....my sides are splitting! yes, its a funny tune!
ReplyDeleteoh Herb,
ReplyDeleteI just love how you look into that camera with that slightly dreamy look on your face ... nice.