A while back, Estelle made a comment here on how many comments this blog gets.
It got me thinking. This blog does do all right in terms of comments. And I love getting your comments. They make me laugh. Ho! Ho! And I think you're all grand.
But I certainly don't think the comments have anything to do with the blog's content.
I think it has to do with the fact that I'm pretty proactive in terms of commenting on more-than my fair share of other blogs.
And that over-zealous commenting habit, is merely reciprocated.
Here is my personal comment mantra ... It's, by no means, a dictatorial directive on how to 'comment'. Sometimes I get the impression I come across all 'Margaret Thatcherish' and bossily opinionated.
I am bossily opinionated at times, but I don't mean to be, Denis.
My Comment Mantra
1) I try and comment on as many of the 'personal' blogs that I subscribe to. I do that primarily because my feeling is that if someone has taken the time to write a post, and I'm benefiting from reading it, then the least I can do is make a comment. Quid pro quo, is my Latin phrase of choice in terms of commenting.
I don't comment all the time. But, I never read blogs religiously and never say anything.
Some people don't subscribe to my commenting 'world view', and that's okay. You're ok. I'm ok.
2) I don't comment on 50 blogs in the hope that they'll all comment back.
3) If I get time I'll respond to the comments on my blog. I think people like to know they've been listened to. Commenting should be interactive, me thinks.
4) I always try and say something positive and meaningful when I comment. Well, I hope I do. A lot of my comments on other blogs are probably just blather.
5) If I'm not interested in a blog, I won't comment, and I won't follow it.
6) I rarely comment on 'business/commercial' blogs because I don't think they're particularly interested in what I have to say, they're more interested in their advertisers.
Commenting on blogs takes a lot of time, but again, I know how much time it takes to do a post, and no one likes putting their thoughts and feelings out into a non-responsive void. That's why I comment on a lot of blogs, and that's why people reciprocate on this one.
The other thing is that a lot of the blogs I follow are very different to mine ... a lot are not Mid-Century, or stupid, or either of those ways inclined. I follow them because I've come to like the people who write them, and it's only through commenting on their blogs that I've gotten to know them. That's another reason why I comment.
And it works the other way too, if I comment on a blog and get no response, despite repeatedly putting in my two-cents, I'll get the hint and shove off.
You don't have to comment on this. I just wanted to get it off my hairy chinny-chin-chin.
That was quite succinct and, subject matter aside, I wonder how you manage to think clearly at 3.51 P.M.. My lot got into a punch up over a cushion by the time I was on your third paragraph. I like to comment because it creates dialogue and sometimes a gal in the 'burbs enjoys like- minded 'blather' . Blog on, MMMC-Duff.
ReplyDeleteand finally i am getting around to drop a line again. enjoyed to read about your ideas of commenting... interesting how addicted we become to blogging, or should i write i?
ReplyDeletei just feel like i miss you guys, from my favorites when i don't stop by as often as i want...how weird but nicely weird isn't that?
and talking about addiction, finding a cup of coffee in the netherlands before nine seems almost impossible (unless you make it yourself)
have a lovely day.
p.s oh, the pictures of that house! wow!
food for thought.
ReplyDeleteNot that I've been able to do much blogging lately :( too busy to scratch, well anything really.
Well I'm rather a newcomer to blogging, and don't know many people, or blogging etiquette, so I comment if I have something to say, or if I think the blogger has written something I can relate to. I am really enjoying reading blogs, particularly from those interested in Op Shopping / recycling / reinventing.
ReplyDeleteIt's just bloody good manners isn't it? I like no. 6...hadn't thought about that! Positive and meaningful hey? I like it best when you're just being cheeky :)
ReplyDeleteAh, Carmel, I'm with you, 100%. I only make comments which actively refer to the post and/or photos and/or questions posed by the blogger. I will never just write 'Nice post' - that's spam, in my book. Now that reminds me, I'd better reply to some on mine ☺. J x
ReplyDeleteI love comments. Otherwise I feel that the content of my post hasn't really resonated with anyone. (Let's face it - sometimes it probably doesn't!)
ReplyDeleteLike you I don't follow blogs I don't read much. I do try and "visit" back if someone leaves me a comment and have found some wonderful blogs this way. I also have a soft spot for the first few commenters and supporters of my blog.
I, for one, am absolutely chuffed when anybody sees fit to leave a comment on my blog. I wonder how my life or writing inability interests anybody else. I am astounded that somebody of your obvious wit and intelligence would find anything about my life worth commenting on, and in return I will continue to read your wonderfully entertaining prose and leave my mark!
ReplyDeleteAnnie,
ReplyDeleteI didn't spew this out in one go. I've been thinking about it since the end of January (yes, devoid of much in my life) ... and I did think about how to write it without sounding like I was full of myself. Which I am.
Sara,
no coffee in the Netherlands before 9am!? Maybe they're all inside blogging!
Estelle,
once you start scratching, I've found you can't really stop ... so best not to start. I start scratching inappropriately when someone mentions 'nits'.
Lyndel,
you'll have a lot of fun. I like the Op Shopping ones too. Though it didn't start out that way! It's quite a cult thing really.
Kerry,
aren't I positive and meaningful? Your blog is one of the blogs that surprises me. It's one of my favourites, yet completely different to the sort I thought I'd be drawn to.
Jane,
you are a thoughtful commenter. Actually, I don't know how you do it. It does take a lot of time.
AFW,
I have a soft spot for my first blog followers too. I had a lot from New Zealand initially. I still comment on their blogs because I really like them and they're very supportive. It's quite a tight knit over the ditch (or whatever the hell that ocean's called. The Pacific?).
Sometimes I feel like I have commented when I have really just been commenting in my head as I read a good post - so people don't really know how much I enjoy their blogs... so I am going to try and comment more. I love your blog by the way :)
ReplyDeleteDo you have a hairy chin Carmel?
ReplyDeleteThis is very interetsting (the post, not your hairy chin). Myself, I love to leave comments on my blogger friend blogs as you do, as the people mean something to me.
I never know whether to comment in my own comments about the comments (getting confusing) but find I just like to dop a quick email if I'm left a question.
The comments I receive mean the world to me as there are so many blogs out there and for people to take the time to drop by and comment is wonderful!
I commend your efforts on 'commenting'. I see you all around blogland and it is wonderful that you 'connect' with people and have something meaningful, funny or positive to say.
ReplyDeleteYou have inspired a shy gal like myself to make an effort and comment on blogs.
Just keep doin what you are doin MMMC, don't change a thing, it is all workin! (and keeping us entertained in the meantime)
My only feedback to you, is that you might need to start turning on channel 9 around 2pm and start watching Days of our Lives, so you understand Brismod's comments.
I just had one of those time has passed in a strange unsettling way realizations ...never seen your blog before and kept clicking on the 'older posts' button and then suddenly my sons out of the shower and in his pjammies. Thank goodness I didn't start reading blogs til my kids were old enough to cope with those kind of attention lapses. And comments, each to thier own, methinks. Lovely stuff on here, thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeleteI sincerely love this post Carmel. As a relatively newbie I wasn't up with blogging etiquette and have just been feeling my way. I too won't comment on something that I don't particularly find interesting - and I certainly don't expect it in return, no hard feelings.
ReplyDeleteBut can you tell me this - is it rude to stop following a blog if you've realised it's not your thing? I think I might have got a little happy when I started and now my list seems to be out of control. I just picture someone seeing their "followers" reduced by one (being me) and I feel guilty. But I guess it's ok if they don't follow mine right? :)
You write so well by the way.
my blog approach is completly casual. I don't understand when people get upset because they're not getting enough followers or comments. Shouldn't blogging be just for fun?? I admit I screamed when i reached 50 followers (that was the other day) but I could have stayed to three for ever. I don't consider blogging my chance to my fifteen minutes of fame and I'm sad when people take it that way. I love that you have ethics, that's the lawyer in you I guess!!
ReplyDeleteSarah,
ReplyDeleteI have a hairy chin! I'm like a little Billie Goat Gruff! No, I just say that because it makes me laugh.
Having said that, I walked my children to the car the other afternoon after school and we passed a little old Italian (I presume) lady sitting on her front step, plucking the hairs from her chin with her tweezers. More power to her, I say! I can't wait until I'm either that inhibited or that insane.
O&E,
Comment. It'll amaze you!
Dash Robin,
Hello. My boys are at the stage I can leave them in the bath and they get out and fend for themselves (sort of) ... it's a great freedom, isn't it?
Meg,
good question. I admit to 'stopping following' blogs. I do it ever-so-often. Though for different reasons depending on the blog. I remember I lost a reader once and I was devastated ... 'What did I say? Why am I so unlikeable?' and I thought, 'Oh well. Just keep churning it out', and I got over it. I've lost more since then.
Truly, I stopped following some blogs as recently as the last few days ... it gets too unweildy and the blogs I was 'following' at the beginning are different to the blogs I frequent now. Drop 'em. You'll feel better.
Confession time - i've been reading(lurking around) your blog for ages and I love it 'cause you make me laugh out loud - sometimes so loud the husband wonders what I'm up to. But - never been brave enough to leave a comment here - first time for everything though?! Your blog is different to most of the crafty/stitchy blogs I read and is ever so refreshing - and did I mention funny?
ReplyDeleteOK I had to leave a comment, just because you said there was no need to leave a comment!
ReplyDeleteUninhibited, I meant to say. An uninhibited Italian lady plucking facial hairs with black tights and a sparse front lawn.
ReplyDeleteOh yes, agree, agree, concur, nod head. It's funny, often those bigger blogs get one line comments, but i love that i often get a story, i know they've read my blog post & they care. I try to put our decent posts & i'm pretty chuffed when people respond with really fun comments. I rarely visit a post that i don't comment on, why bother reading to the end & clicking the X rather than leaving a comment, quick or meaningful?? As a fellow mummy of 4, i use my time carefully & pick & chose, from my dashboard i can usually pick a post i want to read. Love Posie
ReplyDeleteOh PS i say "chinny chin chin" all the time, i wonder if you say "noggen" too?? Can you post on silly names for facial parts like "schnozzel" too?? Wiggly ears & all, i'd be such a fun ENT doctor. Love Posie
ReplyDeletePosie,
ReplyDeletedo you say, "fadoobadas'?
I had to tell Child Three the other day to 'stop pinching my fadoobadas!' aka 'tuckshop lady arms'.
Bahahaha! "Drop 'em. You'll feel better". I WILL! Thanks Carmel :)
ReplyDeleteWhen I started commenting, I started making blog friends. And that's been great. Sometimes I read things quickly and don't have time to type a comment because a small child has just weed on the carpet. So you can picture that happening if you write something particularly good and don't hear from me...
ReplyDeletejust to say, i look forward to and appreciate every comment you leave on my blog. :)
ReplyDeleteNo comment.
ReplyDeleteSorry, I just had to do that. I wish that people who comment on my blog would not leave that no reply @blogger.... I like to send emails to my commenters. That's how I made my best friends, we just got a dialogue running. Right, oh hairy chinned friend?
ReplyDeleteI totally agree, I like the personal blogs and I like to get to know that person and my interest are so different that each blog fits my range of interests....some are sweet some are fiesty and funny but all are inspiring!
ReplyDeleteI have eliminated some blogs that everyday is a chance to WHINE, everyone does have a bad day but I find it draining to read about someone who has a bad day everyday...have a cookie and get over it!!
Your comments make me feel like the only blogger in the world. (can you see the hearts coming out of my eyes?) seriously, by being yourself and responding genuinely, you're scooping up soulmates in the blogasphere! I believe that's how it works. The fact that you even mentioned a hairy chinny chin chin is why I will forever be your commenting BFF (one of many - but im not jealous! really!!)
ReplyDeleteand don't get me started on rogue hairs. each child born brings a new follicle in places no follicle has gone before!
I don't know what to say. I have no comment at this time. Can you bring Horsey back? I'm confused.
ReplyDeleteoh, to comment or not to comment, that is the question. sometimes i just don't have the right witty remarks to add and i wish there was a "like" button!
ReplyDeleteWell put, all of it. I must try harder to reply - I'm rubbish at that.
ReplyDeleteActually sometimes your comments back to the comments are as funny as the post content... fadoobadas???? That is a post in itself. They are my "bye-byes" and I'm getting very fond of them - which is lucky as they are not going anywhere soon.... I tend to talk rubbish in my comments which might be endearing or annoying....
You are my guru. I repeat your mantra. You wise woman with the heart of a Moomin mum.
ReplyDeleteI'm a bit hit and miss with commenting. I don't always leave comments simply because I don't always know what to say. If I feel I can contribute or relate to the topic I leave a comment. If not, I secretly stay silent. I guess your blog is a perfect example. Even though I read all your posts, I don't comment everytime. Eg. I find your horsey stories funny but don't really know how to reply. Writing 'That's funny' feels a bit lame. On the other hand, sometimes I find it really easy to comment...like now. I'm waffling.
ReplyDeleteSometimes, I do get tounge tied on commenting just because I can't think of anything thoughful to say, but I do come here religiously and I love all your posts. You rock!
ReplyDeleteI'm with you on the "commercial blogs" I don't think they'd care about what I have to say and I recently deleted a few from my blogroll and added a couple of funny, genuine, down-to-earth blogs such as yours :)
ReplyDeleteI loved Deb's "No comment". I love comments on my blog. And I love giving my two cents worth too. Obviously, it gets harder the more people who follow you and vice versa. I don't know what the people with thousands reading and commenting do...
ReplyDeleteHmm...I tend to comment on my daily reads (yes, that's you!) and am fairly lazy about responding to comments on the blog itself. I usually reply-comment on the commenter's blog, or via email. You've made me think again, MMM-C. Perhaps I'll change my wicked ways...
ReplyDeleteAll I know is that I love your comments on my blog and I try and comment on yours if I can think of anything remotely intelligent to say at all.
ReplyDeleteGreat post!
ReplyDeleteI wish I had more time to comment on the blogs I follow. I tend to read a few months worth of posts at a time and comment then. I definitely think its a nice way to thank someone for the time they took to post.
Well said, I don't comment enough. I love your comments on my blog and I'll always read your new post's, you always make me laugh, stupidly I put myself in the 'Im not witty enough to comment here' basket(what is that about???)so I just laugh and leave. Im commenting now because I don't want you to shove off, ill get over myself and comment more. Megan xx
ReplyDeleteYep, I completely agree with your thoughts on blog comments too. I love 'conversing' with other bloggers through mutual commenting ... it helps to build a wonderful community I think.
ReplyDeleteI try to comment as I live my life. Treat others as you'd like to be treated. Simple.
ReplyDeleteOk my two cents on commenting. As a blogger I respond to comments on my blog if a question has been asked or if something is particularly funny etc. Of course I love comments, but I'm not offended by the number or frequency of them because I know I don't comment on each post I read and I never want to feel as though I have too.
ReplyDeleteAs a reader myself I find it depends on my mood. Much as if I was with someone in person. Sometimes I'm extra chatty, and sometimes I am more quiet and just prefer to listen. Makes sense? Every has a different personality, some are outgoing, some are shy, some are lovely, some are not so lovely. And I think this is reflected in the blog world as much as it is in real life. The readers who we sometimes call lurkers, may in fact be really shy people. That is how I see it anyway. I hope it makes sense.
xxx
My, how I have missed your sage words of direct advice. It has not been intentional, the missing bit. Bloody telco's and how long it takes to set up internet after one moves 2 hours from Sydney and 1 hour from Canberra, but yet still rural. You have been listened to and your words have been found to be sage. I comment because I want to and then sometimes I think ... should I have said that .. then I think Oh WTF, who cares, I wanted to and I did. I have missed you. Don't go and be a lawyer.
ReplyDelete