Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Makeup.

I can't quite believe I'm doing this post.

Makeup isn't an area I discuss with great confidence. I rarely wear it ... but for two reasons, I think I'm going to have to invest in some. So, I'm going to get your opinions before I throw wads of money in the general direction of cosmetic companies.

This is my makeup stash. It's almost Mid-Centurian because I've had it for so long ...


I'm not sure how old that Chanel perfume is. I'm not even sure it smells the way it's supposed to. Perfume has a shelf-life, doesn't it?


That supermarket moisturiser's not doing me any favours. 

And the Clinique powder dates to the early 90s ...


I don't even have a brush for it anymore, so I'm not sure how I'd apply it if push came to shove.


These are my Mac lipsticks. All four of them. The one on the front left came from Mac's first London store on King's Road. It was given to me as a present by one of the women who write this blog. We were a bit chummy at the time ... she's come ahead in leaps and bounds stylewise, and I'm still applying a 17-year-old lipstick.


It's a nice colour. Though it smells a bit 'Grandma's Avon' now. It's possibly gone toxic.


These are more recent Mac purchases. I suspect they're about two year's old. And some clumpy mascara - the vintage of the dusting power. I think old mascara can give you eye infections. Is that right?


Here's a favourite. It's a Clinique lipstick I wore when I got married. That was 10 years ago.


Now the reason I need your advice on makeup is that many of you are about my vintage (39 years and five months) and you probably wear makeup and have some thoughts on what's suitable and what's not.

I have a function to go to on the weekend, and should probably make an effort face-wise.

Also, I recently had a run-in with a doctor who thoughtfully excised a sizable chunk from my right cheek, all in the name of getting rid of the evidence of years of playing-about un-SPF'd. So I'm also on the look-out for sun protection in the form of a moisturiser and a hat.

Thoughts on makeup? What do you wear? What do you suggest? Someone, whom I may have married 10 years' ago, suggested I buy a balaclava.

41 comments:

  1. Husbands are thoughtful like that. Well at least you invested in good quality makeup. Hope L reads this post she is the pro. I can't believe we buy(bought)the same brands.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The last time I spent money on Clinique (always a sizable fortune)it was all emptied into the bathtub....my boy thought it was bubble bath...in it went, all of it. I adore you MMMC for stirring up such wonderful memories. I think a light foundation, a little blush, lightly colored lip gloss and new mascara would do you. I know you are a natural beauty. It just doesn't feel that way when your baby girl has just spit up on your shoulder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Deb,
    husbands are lucky to have us. I wonder what L would suggest.

    MCM,
    that's perfect advice! I'm quite happy with your suggestions. Hmmm, boys in the bath with their mother's expensive cosmetics. Mine did something similar with a bottle of Kiehl's face wash, but it was used as a 'matchbox-car wash'. NOOOO!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a recipe for making your own makeup from kids crayons and paraffin wax ill email it to you.

    One piece of advice though, stay well away from mineral makeup powders, that crap gets EVERYWHERE!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have the same make up as me. The Clinique make up was suggested by my sister in an mercy effort last time I visited her in make up savvy Sydney. I just threw out the same silver vile vial of Raspberry Glace lipstick and have the same ancient powder which I reprised for Anna's party. It was fancy dress after all. My mascaras are old samplers usually used once then lost in the drawer. Moisturiser is now some budget homeopathically packaged thing from the chemist picked up while filling some prescription for the kids. I am no help to you am I? I suggest you go to the Clinique counter at DJ's that afternoon as late as possible and ask them to do you then don't look because you will freak out and wash it all off and be back to square one...how about radiantly natural?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry Carmel, i have no idea when it comes to makeup! I hate wearing it, but i think MCM's got some good advice!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha! I'm certainly not one to give advice on make-up since I wear minimal amounts and get around with a bit of lip gloss. I would toss anything that wasn't from this century though. For a face sunscreen I like QV ego moisturiser. xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ditch the husband WITH the balaclava and go to the beauty counter at Myers or DJS and spend HIS money on Estee Lauder. You deserve it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. How funny I was only having this same discussion with one of your commentors today. I am a minimal make up girl too but if I have to, I go for a bit of mascara, lippy and powder. As I have actual seen you in the flesh, shall we say, I do feel qualified to say I think you looked perfectly lovely in your non makeup look so perhaps only a little to boost the confidence and cover the life wounds would be all I would recomend. I do admire those women that go all out with the lashes and the blush etc but alas I will never be one. I am who I am.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, you've some to the right place, or rather I've come to the right place. I can't believe you have such little make up. I have boxes of it! I have tried all different brands, expensive, cheap and everything in between.
    I am sun safe after a BCC had to be teated on my face. The dermatologist says that you should use a 30+ on top of a moisturiser. She said that cheap moisturisers work the same as fancy ones, the only benefit you can get is if you use one with an AHA as that helps exfoliate and make you look younger.
    Makeup, well hmmm, yours is a little on the stale side. I use Mac foundtion as they don't test on animals and the colours are very matchable, therefore look natural. Go and treat yourself to a few basics, but def. a new mascara! I change mine every few months and tend to go with whatever is on special :)
    Annie, above, mentions good ol' CLinique Raspberry Glace lipstick. What a great colour! My mum wore that for years and years and probably still does.
    ps we are the same age!! 40 in October! Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  11. as I am more than 21years past your 39, and don't wear make up I'm not much of a help, however I do have to agree with brismod on the QV moisturiser, in a tube, under $20 and SPF30.
    And definately, everything you currently own needs tossing out, as bacteria does breed in old lipsticks and mascara wands.

    ReplyDelete
  12. First off, love your new banner/header thingy. Ok, so it's nice to know we are the same age. I had the same Clinique raspberry glace too. I used to be so well versed on make-up- more because I wanted to be a make-up artist. As far as lipstick, if you like Clinique, you might want to try the black honey - in the skinny tube. I had it for my wedding (almost 12 years ago) & still wear it. It's a sheer- almost gloss but really flattering on a lot of different skin types. It's natural, bumped up a notch- easier than lipstick. I love this - http://bit.ly/grlS4z but I'm sure that Clinique has a good one too. I'm sure you will look stunning whatever route you go. I could go on and on... but I spare you. :) Funny, I'm turning 40 this week & thinking I may even shave my legs & make an effort on the day.:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for your word at my blog and what a lovely blog you run! I follow you.
    Bye and have a fine day!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Estelle,
    your makeup recipe sounds sturdy and circus-y.

    Annie,
    what's with Clinique? Why do so many people use it? I've had bits of it since 1987. A heavy-handed Clinique lady did my wedding makeup. That was horrendous.

    Melissa,
    thanks anyway. Keep quilting.

    Brismod, I'm going to check-out that QV moisturiser. That's a good brand. Thanks.

    Pam, you're the first one to mention Estee Lauder!

    Katherine,
    you are who you are and you make me laugh. Thank you.

    SarahB,
    I've taken notes. I'll go to Mac on Friday and I'll quote you!

    Lyndel,
    I'll throw it out. Thank you for that advice. I feel good to know there's so much makeup support out there!

    KLT,
    if ever there was a natural beauty, I'd day it was you. People go and see what I mean! I used to have that Clinique Black Honey. Yes, it is a nice colour ... it looks quite dark, but it's not. I wonder why I didn't get another one? I think it's quite popular.

    Happy Birthday, too, for this week.

    Mokkasin,
    Hello. It's not usually like this.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi! I'm just a couple of years shy of your vintage, so can relate to all this. Never been much of a makeup wearer until recently either. I finally starting investing in a good skincare range (immortelle by l'occitane - pricey but the best darn moisturiser I've ever used on my skin which has had its ups and downs over the years).

    I recommend Revlon foundations - I use the age-defying spa which has an spf of about 18? I think. Anyway, it's quick to apply and very light with a lovelyl even coverage. A very good friend who's been using everything from Chanel to Armani has recently switched to Revlon. Great quality, a fraction of the cost. I use a mabeyline mineral powder on top - any of the mineral powders are great for people who don't like heavy foundations.

    A mascara in the right colour for you is a quick easy fix for your eyes, plus chuck out the old lipsticks and buy some new ones.

    All the makeup I use takes me less than five minutes to apply each morning before I run out the door to work with my three year old. I need instant results baby!

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sorry honey but what you have got has to go in the bin most make up goes off in approx 2 years add heat to it even quicker. Why do you think me and mammy used to keep everything in the fridge in Darwin.

    Good to hear you have been to the doc re skin.. I would go with nothing on the wound site as you dont want a secondary infection. If it is a pink closed wound you need a green stick (consealer) and light dusting of powder. Gloss the lips and smile brilliantly.

    I have a small makeup stash cause I am allergic to most street brands. Yeap you think clinque is bad for the bank balance try buying the hypoallergic products. Price seems to double.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I hardly ever wear makeup but have always had a foundation just in case - it had to be in a pump bottle with a lid (I find tubes and regular bottles get really messy) and have sunscreen in it, I ended up with Revlon Colourstay for a few years which worked fine.

    Last year I tried Mac and am a total convert - it just feels so nice. I have a compact with sticky-type foundation that I use with a brush, but they have lots of different kinds. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh I'm way too late to comment usefully (sorry), but yep, I'd chuck it all away. I have to say it's really heartening to hear so many of these wonderful people saying they don't wear makeup or not much or not often. I don't wear it as I hate the feel and smell of it but sometimes I feel like a bit of a freak. Vive the natural look!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm nearly your vintage... just a few years younger :) I remember being given Clinique when I was just a wee thing... what fond memories :)

    These days, due to extreme laziness (and having got bored of attempting to look pretty every day!) I have gone with Aveeno tinted moisturiser with SPF something (I don't do numbers so well) mixed with a bit of my trusty Oil of Olay to make it spread evenly & quickly. Then I get Benefit Bad Gal Plum mascara and any lip gloss that is handy on me and I'm set :) If I'm being fussy I might use a bit of bronzer stuff tho that just makes me feel like I put in more effort. Sadly it doesn't seem to make me a supermodel.

    I think Benefit make lovely mascara. I'm fond of my eyes and rather careful of having just anything near them (get rid of that old stuff girl!) and I find that good :) Plus the plum colour is pretty and doesn't make you feel too made up when you don't usually wear stuff - and the name is a bonus!

    Oh and I think you should put the balaclava on the husband. Make HIM wear it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. OK - Love this topic. I never used to do make up much. Then I hit my thirties and realised that it did improve things considerably. I could no longer get away with a tan, good hair and a bit of lip gloss (this is what got me through the first half of my twenties.)

    My brand suggestion would be Benefit. It has cute girlsy packaging but it is really the business. I suggest a nice, light layer of foundation, lipstick and definitely their Bad Girl Mascara. They also do an excellent concealer/highlighter called Erase Paste. It is magic - because let's face it, who doesn't have bags under their eyes these days?

    It is on the slightly more expensive side but once you know your colours you can get replacements at Adore Beauty online more cheaply.

    I use Natio moisturiser because it is quite cheap and suits me heaps better than the more expensive gear. I know some dermatologists and they have also told me that there is not much difference between brands (like Sarah B said).

    Hope it goes well and that, make up aside, you have a great time at the wedding.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ditch it all! Especially the mascara and powder. If you keep makeup for too long they can get infested with little mites that you can't see with the naked eye. And you don't want to wear mites on your face. Mascara should be tossed after three months as that's when the bacteria start to form inside it.
    If you're not big on wearing foundation, can I suggest Oil of Olay Total Effects with Foundation. It gives a light coverage and also SPF. I wear it every day as I like to cover the blemishes. It's not a supermarket "cheapie" but you can get it at the supermarket. My skin loves it.
    Have fun on your big night out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sun protection is my thing - been having nasties removed since I was 20. Apparently I have a knack for it. In fact I'm so good at it I have to report to the hospital every 6 months. Anyway, you want to invest in Sunsense Daily Face SPF50+ Matt Formula Oil Free Base, nothing else works better, it's an Australian company and you can buy it most pharmacies and online. Also it is lightly tinted and can double as a base, on top slap on some natural mineral powder - best stuff ever and it also has an SPF 15. M-L

    ReplyDelete
  23. When I hit 40 two years ago I went to the lancome counter and spent $400 on myself to welcome this new age and It has lasted me till about now....but everday I just wear tinted lip gloss and and under eye concealer and mascara but eye curl my lashes for effort.
    takes me 3 minutes, my splurge is hair color every 6 weeks....

    ReplyDelete
  24. I am superbly qualified to give make-up advice as I love wearing it! And as everyone knows I've been 39 for years - it's my absolute fave age to be. Re mascara - definitely refresh every three months, so only buy the cheapest and the best - Maybelline Great Lash in the pink and green packaging. Re moisturiser with SPF - buy the best you can afford. I recommend Lancome or Clarins but it depends on your skin type. My daughters who now live in Australia are very keen on Clinique but it doesn't suit me. Same with face make-up. At your age with a good and reasonably clear skin I would only use a tinted moisturiser (with SPF of at least 15) or moisturiser then concealer on the 'difficult' bits. I have recently become a convert of Laura Mercier make-up ( one daughter swears by LM concealer). I see that LM tinted moisturiser is SPF 20 which is terrific. Or you could always use a normal factor 30 all over first then make up on top? L'Oreal also has some very good products at more competitive prices. But I would agree with other suggestions: make an appointment for a make-up with one of the cosmetic counters at your favourite department store on the morning of your event. Tell them you are on a budget and ask for their recommendations. You could maybe purchase one item (the most useful or the lipstick!) once 'done'. Then buy cheaper close matches elsewhere afterwards. You can have a lot of fun trying all the 'testers' on all the displays when you have more time. But my rule is - spend on skincare and have cheaper fun with the cosmetics for lips and eyes. And lipstick has doubled up as blusher for me for years (a tip given me by a trained Australian make up artist when I was 17). Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Balaclava! God love them!
    Hhhhhm, I'm really too late to offer you much of anything. I do enjoy 'putting my face on' when going out, possibly because I don't get out much. I think if you're not used to wearing too much, then stick with the minimalist theme, or you will feel like a clown and take fright passing reflective surfaces.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Dear MMMC,
    come on, you have to throw your clinique make-up to the extra hazardous waste! I confess that I loved my clinique lipstick - I like the sound it made when you open it...click...when you closed it...click. But: I throw it away in those days.
    You have wonderful pros here. So snap a new lipstick, liquid mascara and a foundation with SPF inside, honeybee.
    Kiss you with my Shiseido 9 BordeauX Ariane

    ReplyDelete
  27. well, I'm in your boat...had only a few bits of old makeup in the stash, and had to rush out last year to buy the bare minimum of new stuff because of a wedding!
    Have no idea about good brands (I ended up at clinique counter last year because I know that at least I haven't come out in a rash from their stuff in the past...) but having fun reading and learning from your list of comments!

    ReplyDelete
  28. ooh! Where do I start!
    Is MAC still readily available to you? They make a nice variety of foundations and the staff are well trained, so if you have a minute they will actually apply the foundation for you, to be sure the shade is right. They also have a great sunscreen make-up primer (cheaper than Chanel's...ssshhh). It's like SPF 45 or 50.

    Any of your liquid/creamy make-up that's over (I'll be generous here) 2 years through out! Especially that 10 year old avon smelling lipstick! If the smell has changed, or reminds you of a grandma, through it out! Through out Mascara older than 6 months (again, I'm being generious!)
    Powder last's forever, so find a little fluffy brush to make use of yours.
    You're lucky that perfume is in the refillable case. It should be alright, just spray it and make sure you still like the scent.
    PS. you should email me a pic of you and I recommend some colours for you (used to work at MAC before Chanel).

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow! Look at all that advice! Incredible. I'm laughing! And making notes ... I'll be in David Jones quoting 'Anon M-L said' and 'L suggested' and 'EleganceVintage recommended' and 'A Farmer's Wife uses ...'.

    Never heard of 'Benefit' or 'Laura Mercier' but am going to look into them ... as well as MAC, I think.

    I'll definitely throw my stuff away - that seems to be the safest and consensus thing!

    So interesting that so many are conscious of SPF ... tinted moisturiser too sounds good.

    Thanks everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  30. But don't throw away the perfume!! I don't think that goes bad until it doesn't smell like anything anymore. I absolutely 2nd the Clinique Black Honey Almost Lipstick. It is absolutely the greatest. I also like the Clinique Citiblock which is a tinted sunblock because you don't seem to be much into foundation, etc. Hopefully they still make it. Maybe also give the Bare Minerals a try--it is a powder with sunblock in it that a lot of people seem to love. All through my 20s I was maniacal with the SPF and sun hats but now I am being told to go out in the sun to get the vitamin D. I guess you Aussies don't have to worry about that.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I think the Clinique thing was a bit of a rite of passage when you got your first job and stopped using Pears Oatmeal soap as a cleanser. ( As recommended by Trax magazine). These days I've gone a bit more au natural possibly due to old age, allergies, environmentalism and availability. I love Perfect Potion and Clarins but only when I'm working. Of late my best facial mask consists of a blend of Cheesemite and yoghurt. This is, however, unintentional and and not intended to be tried by the general bloggy community.

    ReplyDelete
  32. 'Grandma's Avon' - I really love that olfactoriness. I still have my Nana's compact on my dressing table. I can't offer any educated advice - I'm a bit like you and tend to buy a magazine if it's offering a free mascara or pair of sunglasses. I got an eye infection about three weeks after S was born, which she then rapidly contracted, after applying god knows how old eyeshadow. I do wear Chanel lipstick and this stuff is excellent:

    http://www.moogoo.com.au/

    Oh, and a heated eyelash curler will do wonders.

    You're so vain...

    ReplyDelete
  33. Balaclava, indeed! I cannot possibly assist you in the makeover department, as I have limited proficiency in that department. I will say that getting my eyebrows waxed makes a HUGE difference in how I feel about my face. Just sayin'.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I don't use much makeup, but I have found myself wanting to make more of an effort lately ... to try and cover up my lack of sleep I think! ;)

    I use SPF daily - and after much trial and error have found that Cetaphil is great (and super cheap) - I also use their soap. As for makeup, I tend to favour mascara (Covergirl - they match the right black to your eye colour) and a nice mineral foundation (natio). Natio also do a decent primer which helps make my skin a little smoother before foundation application. I stay away from blush and too much eye shadow, but do like a mineral lip gloss.

    If you have or ever do master application of eye liner, let me know ... I just can't get it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. MMMC - Being a qualified makeup artist (yes this was my first career move)... my advice to you is to phone up any of the leading makeup counters in either DJ's, Myers, city or Indro, don't know where is best and get a 'free' makeup session. You can say you're wanting to update your makeup, and need some help in this area. Why bother wasting money for one night. That way if you do love something you can see it on your face and then buy. Do NOT buy the whole lot... just one or two maximum.
    Is that Clinique wedding lipstick 'blushing nude'? Just a guess?!

    ReplyDelete
  36. I have a love hate relationship with make up. I like myself more when I wear it, but I go without for months. I use only local brands, completly natural, and as a moisturizer I use almond oil. The smell is amazing, it makes your skin super soft and it's not greasy at all. My grandmother turned 96 three days ago and she used olive oil (!!) for her skin all her life and she still does. You should see her skin. A baby.

    We're twins Carmel. I'm 39 and five months too.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Sorry MMC - cannot help on the cosmetics front. I, like you, am sans-makeup most of the time - though maybe at my age I should start to wear some- 43! Most of the other Mum's at pick up do?? I wore a Clinique lipstick for my nuptials.
    Good luck with your makeup for your 'do' on the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  38. this is hilarious! and i am just the same....i prefer au naturel...but at times, when performing especially, i put some.
    my latest discovery is dr hauschka. a german brand of natural cosmetics. so i recommend you their mascara. for the rest, i am the girl who got her first red lipstick now, at turning 29, so i won't be any help!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Wow, you do own a lot of makeup. I don't know anything about lipsticks and mascara, but I still wanted to say 'hi!'.

    Does shampoo count as makeup?

    ReplyDelete
  40. hahahahaaa , the tears are streaking my cheap mascara i actually put on today just so my daughter's boyfriend wouldn't think me an old dog. That clinique bit had me in stitches.
    I do fear for a major skin reaction if you slather that expired collections of products on your cute face! go big, go to a dept store and have some lady do you up, then go to the woolworths and buy copycats and a bacalava for the mr. If you need a super ninja style frost proof one I could send you one from Colorado! :) It has air holes and a slit for eyes.
    too funny.

    ReplyDelete
  41. The comments you receive are such great additions to your post! You have a fun groupies ;)

    I have no advice - I'm a complete simpleton in this area... XoL

    ReplyDelete