Monday, February 21, 2011

Bye

This is me waving 'Goodbye'.


It looks like I'm giving you a 'secret' wave. I'm not. It's just an errant little finger. Controlling all ten fingers simultaneously can be a challenge.

You know I only have two subjects left before Law is done. Gee, it's been boring, on the whole. I probably should have done architecture.

Regardless, I need to concentrate on the last two subjects, otherwise I just won't do them, and I'll spend hours everyday fluffing about on the computer laughing to myself. I have to go cold turkey from the enjoyable distractions.

And then I have to get a job ... so if anyone knows anyone in the Brisbane legal fraternity, now's the time to speak up and I'll happily stalk them until they employ me.

The purpose to getting a job is so that we can buy a house of the Mid-Century ilk, and I can house all the Bitossi and Norwegian kitchenware in a suitable and empathetic setting.

My children also need educating, which is expensive. (They need to know things like 'some words can be spelt the same, but they can either be a verb or a noun, such as 'house''.)

So, Bye. Don't make me cry, because I'll miss you but I really have to get-on with things. When we buy the M-C house, I'll come back and we'll decorate it together, how's that?

PS Please buy lots of Tove Jansson books ... whether they be Moomin or her adult novels. They are all beautiful, idyllic, sensitive and cleanly written, and no house of repute should be without one.

75 comments:

  1. Sniff. Sob. We'll miss you! I'll buy a book. Now, get to work.

    HUGS
    xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

    p.s. you're cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 'you can do anything you want, you just can't do everything'.

    I'm with you MMMC, sometimes you just have to focus and step away from the infernal distraction machine and get on with it.

    I'm sad to have to say goodbye, but I'm pleased that your so close to completing your law degree.

    So, without to much more emo piffel I wish you all the luck in the world.

    Until we cross paths again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck! And drop in once in a while!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Take care and good luck!!

    Looking forward to seeing the midcentury house at sometime in the future....

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hate you for leaving when Ive just found you but I understand :( We will all miss you. Drop over from time to time. Megan xx

    Ps on the ps already taken that advice and Im waiting for the book depository delivery as we speak. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. You will be missed! Let's keep in touch. Good luck on the job front. I know you'll do well. It's been fun MMMC. Come visit every now and then. Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Crumbs I'll miss you! Maybe, just sometimes, once a month perhaps (I'm not overly needy!) you can drop in a leave me one of your killer comments? Don't make me beg. Carmel, all the very best with those last two subjects, the job and house hunt, and educating those kids. When you put it all together like that, I completely understand :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. NOOOO! Don't you dare leave facebook! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nooooooooooooooooooo, say it's not true!!!!!!!
    Don't do this to us Carmel - who's blog is going to make me chuckle now?
    It's a blogging disaster. Am quite sad :(
    Well, if you are going to do it, do it all super quick and get back to us, ok?

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh how sad that you are going on a sabbatical I feel like we have only just begun.... (could you hear the really sad music?) I understand absolutely what you are trying to achieve ( think 10,000 word thesis on copyright law painful but necessary to get that damn piece of oaoer in my hot little hands) I do hope that you will slip up occassionally in your quest of cold turkey (only occassionally!) and pop in to say hello here or over at my place. Ive enjoyed your posts/comments immensely. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  11. NOooooooo!
    ok. i've composed myself.
    Will u check in once and a while? tell us how its going. I won't laugh without you.
    YOu are so darn cute! I wish you well, go get'em! Maybe you can become a copyright lawyer for all of us!
    xoxo now, open those BIG books smartypants!
    stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  12. So great to see you!!
    Loving the crochet flower necklace -
    hope to hear from you soon clever lady.XX

    ReplyDelete
  13. I wish you the very best with your study and employment. I've only been a follower for a month or so, but enjoy your blogs very much. You are right, of course, about stepping away, if you were my daughter I'd be saying 'Get off the computer and get on with your work!'... so yes, it is ok.
    goodluck

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy trails, Ms Carmel. It has been fine and dandy and you have been a lovely introduction to the wide prairies of bloggery. Good luck with the reading, the house hunting, child rearing and turkey wrangling. It's been a delight!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I don't believe in goodbyes, so I'll say seeyou later my gorgeous friend.
    I will miss you. Not bush turkey though. I'm hoping that some study procrastination may bring horsey out for some faffing about, and maybe even you too. Good luck with your studies. Seeyou... xxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. You are cute! Its sad but sometimes there are bigger and better things , so Go get 'em Carmel!

    Its been fun getting to know you! Cant wait to 'visit' the M-C abode!

    Take care and all the best to you and your family!! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh noooooo! I just found your blog!! Having said that, fair enough, that sounds like more than enough to be getting on with! Good luck finishing up and finding a flash new job! And we will most certainly be reading a bit of Moomin in this here household!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Au revoir. May you mind stay focussed and grow larger. You realise that now you've given up one vice, you'll have to immediately replace it with another to fill the void. Actually, you've given up two - internet purchases as well. Ohhhh, you have tough times ahead. May the force be with you.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ohhhhhh Nooooooo say it isn't sooooooo.
    How will I live without you (and horsey)???

    ReplyDelete
  20. Undeniably a grown-up and responsible decision. But we all know that most lawyers end up becoming comedians (major generalisation, but think Steve Vizard, Shaun Micallef, James O'Loughlin, Anh Do, Charlie Pickering...), so if standup doesn't end up being your thing, we'll see you back here promoting your Fisher Price animated book or similar. I'd even preorder it now.
    Good luck with the books in the meantime though!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh look, you're all very nice to say those things.

    I was going to disable the comments, but I couldn't work out how.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Maybe we'll all just keep on commenting on here even without you. Getting to know the commentators has been almost as much fun as getting to know you! Perhaps when it gets to 200 comments on this post you can throw us a bone- a quick Carmelism if you will! Till next time...

    ReplyDelete
  23. Well done on making some 'me' decisions. I don't know how you do the things you do with or without your blog.

    I wish you all the luck in the world Carmel. It has been a pleasure to get to know you a bit. Take care. Pam x

    ReplyDelete
  24. Annie,
    the commenters are what makes this crazy blog!

    They're all lovely ... quite possibly the loveliest and funniest bunch I've come across. I just have to sadly leave it and change focus for sometime.

    You could start one, and they could migrate there!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Best wishes with those last 2 subjects, and I'm looking forward to seeing photos of that house some day... won't say more because I'm likely to get all sniffly...

    ReplyDelete
  26. oh how sad! But totally understandable (sob sob).
    Ella and I will so miss you and your wonderfully amusing blog and lovely comments.
    You should be so proud of your blog Carmel, it has been a wonderful achievement.
    I am hoping by the time you are 'on the bench', I will have done a few Blythe hair 'reroots' and I will be able to make you a
    snazzy mohair fuzzy purple with pink tips wig. Oh and perhaps a vintage sheet log cabin patchwork gown thingy (with tassled edges)
    Redefining legal-land is your destiny Carmel.

    The fat lady isn't singing, so I have a feeling it ain't over yet (please don't prove me wrong)

    So take care. See you back here one day soon.
    PS I do want to see a little photo of the lovely quilt on Martha's bed

    ReplyDelete
  27. We're not saying nice things because we are nice (which we are), we are saying them because your blog has brought us all so much chuckliness (new word just for you). We'll miss you *sniff sniff*

    ReplyDelete
  28. Deeply regret that I've only just 'discovered' you to have you move on.
    I'm most admiring of your dedication though and slightly envious of the grand advenures in front of you.
    All the best to you pretty lady!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh no! I'm happy for you. The fantastic carreer in front of you, the perfect house, the smart kids and everything. But I am also an egoistic human being who will miss you like crazy. Cyber space will never be the same again. I'll never laugh by the computer again. I'll get ugly wrinkles where I should have grown traces of smiles. This is what will happen. But I hope you'll be back when that au pair has taken care of your laundry. You'll make Fisher-Price travels in some spare time, as the perfect dinner is cooking itself in your wonderful new kitchen. And some day soon you'll smile at a Moomin package from your friend in a snowy country.

    Love.

    ReplyDelete
  30. First Lilli, now you...I'm feeling lonely already. Please come back every once in a while...
    I'm glad you're going on with your projects, most of the people i know wouldn't have had the same strength, not to mention you have four children! So, well done Carmel. But I'll miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  31. what do you mean with bye? for how long? oh no! and i feel like i just met you!
    please do return!
    ♥

    ReplyDelete
  32. Oh no! I'm really shocked. Didn't see that coming at all. Couldn't you just do a go-slow and post once a month? A little drip-feed to keep up going? Will really miss you.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  33. Good luck MMMC. The legal fraternity don't deserve you.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Bobbi,
    You have nine cats. How can you get lonely? Don't make me change my mind!!

    Hello Amanda,
    do you have five children by any chance?

    ReplyDelete
  35. Ah, Carmel, best of British with it all. After spending half my life either studying for, or practising, law, I'll be intrigued to see how it turns out for you. I'd love to keep in touch - you'll always find me on Planet Baby. I'll miss your wit immensely. J x

    ReplyDelete
  36. A clever woman once said: "I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel."

    Thank you, for making me smile, laugh, cry... and cared for. Thank you, Carmel. It feel like an era just ceased to exist.

    Love Lilli

    ReplyDelete
  37. Lilli,
    you come out of the wilde woods of Norway and make me wet faced. You snow goose.

    ReplyDelete
  38. No. I won't have it. If I can blog, make jewelry, supper, and raise 6 wild ones, you can pop in between classes and let us know you're among the living...besides, we'll need to keep tabs on Horsey and Gordon and see what new makeup you've procured in your quest for justice. SO we're agreed, then, that there will be some brief postings of the "not dead yet" nature? Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Oh, dear Carmel,
    I'm at work now. Will be back later...
    Ariane

    ReplyDelete
  40. I think we should follow Carmel's advice and nominate Annie to carry on.

    I hardly slept last night I was so sad.

    ReplyDelete
  41. what?! You are so grown-up and responsible...darn it...
    I shall egarly await your return and perhaps email you if something pressing comes along.
    ps. love you errant finger wave.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Mir blutet das Herz...
    My heart bleeds, dear Carmel. But I can understand you. Energy should be canalised.
    You're free!
    So, my heartfelt thanks. And maybe you'll come back and we'll decorate your house together, that would be wonderful!
    Have a nice time, lovely Carmel, and good luck. 'Auf Wiedersehen'.
    Love, Ariane.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Say what .....Momma. this is a shocker. Will you come back with a legal blog....with a M C TWIST....hmmm I say get to work and get back soon.
    P.s. what a cutie you are, I'm really going to miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Really? That is very responsible of you. I know you love a bit of procrastination (ie, blogging) as much as I do, so I'm not giving up hope. Best of luck.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  45. I'm off the internet for a few hours and look what happens. Actually I tried to leave you a message when I was at the library yesterday but obviously it didn't get through. You'll be missed! I hope your last semester goes well and I can't wait for you to buy that mid century pad!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  46. I'll be seeing Annie soon - and I declare that she is mentally equipped to carry the torch. Stay tuned, Deb!

    ReplyDelete
  47. Carmel,
    Wha? Huh? Are we talking months? years? Oh my how I will miss this place. But I can completely understand and respect your choice.
    Maybe I will start your blog from the very beginning and read a post every day...something to get me by for a while.
    Good luck in your studies and future ventures. I have come to really love you, this blog, your kind, humorous, and thoughtful words. You a remarkable lady. Best to you and your family!!

    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  48. Chillax, all you crazy commenters. This could just be Carmel's teasing cliffhanger for the next season of 'Horsey and Oprah, the New Beginning' set in the law offices of Dapper, Eames and Noodle. Carmel, you'll need something to do when you're in that big office with hideous furniture that makes you cringe. You'll reach out from between your briefs to your old cyber buddies and we will joyously and unanimously comment in capital letters- "SHE'S BACK AND SHE'S STICKIN' IT TO THE MAN AGAIN!!!!'

    ReplyDelete
  49. Oh no!

    Good luck with the law. I worked for Blake Dawson, I know they have a Brisbane office. I can only help if you want to work in their library though :-)

    I'll be waiting for the new house and subsequent design fest.

    ReplyDelete
  50. Thank you everyone for saying all those things. Really, some of you made me cry and I thought, "What have I done?"

    And thank you for your emails too. I shouldn't have said anything and just stopped posting.

    Study is so boring, I really have to do all I can to just get it finished.

    I feel terrible, you're all so thoughtful.

    ReplyDelete
  51. Maybe, when the dosh is rolling, you could increase the calories and grow into that enviable blue chambray dress you are trying to wear
    Keep writing.
    It will preserve your sanity.
    Work is forever, if you let it.
    Must take time out to play.
    Only a mother could be so intuitive.

    ReplyDelete
  52. Oh honey, i'll miss you, please don't go, can't you just do feature blog posts & pop up to surprise us every now & then!!?? Keep us on our toes, what fantastic finds you have come across, sigh, good bye, i don't mean it, it's more a 'see you soon'. Good luck, see you in your new home!! You'll see me in mine too, yep, 4 children are expensive to educate, we've just started high school, but soooo worth it!! Love Posie

    ReplyDelete
  53. Could we not get a little funding from, oh, I don't know, Oprah? for the mid-centuary house and the mid-century house children dwellers education and that was we can keep you bemusing us forever in blog land and blow that boring legal edumacation?

    ReplyDelete
  54. Well you will have to stay in touch because you will need someone to help furnish this mid century pad and I know just the girl ha...Good luck with the last semester. Next door neighbours are both in your field so will sound them out. I think one of the best options for women is government because the hours are more flexible and they don't expect as much dedication ie not as much overtime. My neighbour works 3 days and this is good with a family my inderstanding is alot of the firms don't like this and if they do it might aswell be 5 days with all the overtime...anyway I am rambling on as usual.Good-bye for now, big kisses Katherine

    ReplyDelete
  55. Only a mother could wrap up such wisdom and support and still slip in a comment about the ensemble! We'll miss you too, DMC!

    ReplyDelete
  56. I miss you. I keep checking back to make sure. You're still gone. Miss those babies too....and Horsey too.

    ReplyDelete
  57. Because you're not posting anymore, I seem to have to keep coming back to check the comments on this post... it's a habit that's proving hard to break. Perhaps I should go and buy a book about that... (and about my habit of using three full stops in my writing...)

    ReplyDelete
  58. Good luck! I always refer to your site for inspiration and laughs so I'll totally miss new posts. I honestly thought you were just kidding a few days ago....:(

    ReplyDelete
  59. Farewell and goodluck!
    M-L

    ReplyDelete
  60. I'm the same as you Anna. Maybe this should become a chat room?

    ReplyDelete
  61. I will miss you and will check back after you often, good luck with your studies.

    And yes please educate your children, I hate dealing with people who have been to university and still can't differentiate "there, their and they're"

    ReplyDelete
  62. Come back soon I enjoy the laughs

    India

    ReplyDelete
  63. Ah Anon India,
    you and everyone are too sweet. I could do a post right now!

    I've just finished sewing a corker of a Moomin quilt and have just invested in a she-bang '60s patio dress which I could show off, but I'm sticking to my guns and it'll have to wait about 15 weeks and then we'll crack open some good stuff, kick the degree in its boring backside and get straight back into the blog, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  64. Anna enters chat: Carmel are you here?

    Deb(lurking)

    Anna: Anyone here?

    Deb: I'm here Anna

    Anna: Oh, just you is it. I was hoping Carmel was here.

    Anna leaves chat room.

    Deb: Burn!

    Deb(lurking)

    ReplyDelete
  65. Just stopping by to see if there happened to be a new post, if youd changed your mind... Could we all bribe you with cool Scandinavian stuff?

    ReplyDelete
  66. Good luck, I will miss your clever and funny posts :)

    ReplyDelete
  67. Take care, and good luck with the subjects! I'll keep my ear out for any good job opportunities ...

    You'll be missed online very much!!

    ReplyDelete
  68. Oh, Oh, Oh, you're going!
    Bye! but don't be too long...
    Work hard
    Be successful
    Get a job and a house
    And come back.

    ReplyDelete
  69. Annie and Deb have become , for me, my Child #6 & 7. God bless you both and your priceless humour.
    And Lilli would come in as Child#8.The darlingest Norwegian of them all.
    Don't all go nowhere.
    I know Marmoo will be the lurker now and then.
    This is as good as reading the jokes in the New Yorker, but more intimate. And funnier.
    Marmoo will not be able to keep her nose in those boring books. Her restless soul will haunt this site and fling out the odd Scandinavian truism. It's in her DNA.

    ReplyDelete