Friday, February 11, 2011

Busy enough to require hired help


You haven't seen him for a while. But there's Washing. Say 'Hello', Washing. 

I've basically covered how busy I am ... but come June this year, I'll have to do some full-time study, so we're thinking the services of an Au Pair will be necessary. Anyone had one? Been one? Seen one about the place? Want to be one?

When one's busy, it's nice not to have to walk all the way to the mail box ... sometimes the post man delivers right to the door!

He delivered these cute things during the week. They came from Heidi who used to have her own shop in Alaska. Just after she shut her shop last year for a bit of a sabbatical, she said she was going to send some things she thought I'd like. I do like them. A lot.


I may succumb and give one of these cards to the Husband. Aren't they funny?


And these two beautiful wooden, hand painted and carved candlesticks ... I'm guessing they're Dutch. They're on two tablecloths that Heidi also sent ... the bottom one is hand painted so I'm reluctant to use it in case Washing destroys it. But we're using the top one constantly.


And of course, who doesn't expect an Australian teatowel to be sent all the way from Alaska? It's very informative and gives the impression that in the late 50s/early 60s Australia was riding the Resources Boom with Menzies-ian fervour and we were all 'pearling' and digging for Gold like there were no uranium deposits.


 You can't see it very well, but we were also 'whaling' off the West Coast (ceased circa 1962). And asbestos mining (until 1966).

Thank you, Heidi! I never knew all that!

23 comments:

  1. Hello, Washing. What gorgeous tablecloths. And candlesticks. So folksy - like your new header. And, like your new header. Can't help with the help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You must be a magician. Carmel Copperfield. How do you manage to have four kids, a house, a dog, a husband, a blog and full time school?? I bow at you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Zigsma,
    You're no help.

    Bobbi,
    I can't do it ... that's why Washing is the tallest one in the house and why we'll be looking for a quiet Japanese girl who doesn't eat much, and I suspect the blog go down in the pages of history.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Washing!

    Enough hinting around already! I'll come over an be your au pair. The size of me though I'll be your au four.

    Lovely things from Alaska. Imagine learning all that about your own country from a teatowel.

    Blogging history? Say it isn't so!

    ReplyDelete
  5. But in those days the Rum Jungle uranium mine was in operation but I think due to red under the bed fears I think that was not open public knowledge down south were this tea towel would have been printed or designed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh, i also had a huge pile of laundry today and i still wonder how i will get it all dry on time. and then i have no one else to wash for but myself...i respect you mothers. if the situation would be different i'd jump to australia to be your au pair! but that won't help you either.... have a great weekend. don't drown in the laundry pile.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely new header :) Ahh, it doesn't matter where you live, the laundry rears its ugly head, doesn't it? Love you new gifts ;) XOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Carmel,
    looking at the first pic, I respond "Hello" and feel at home...
    And I like your new header...(but, sorry... I can't see the faces...)
    x Ariane.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Washing & MMMC.
    I'll have to introduce him to Mr. Laundry Pile. I have a feeling they'd hit it off quite well.
    Too bad I don't fit your list of au pair requirements, a summer in Australia would've been lovely...as long as it was free from crazy natural disasters that is.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have never been an au pair (that is what we call someone from out of the country who takes care of your children in exchange for room, board, spending money, and the "American" experience...is it the same thing where you are? without the "American" experience part?). I was a nanny while in school and a Governess for a few years after I graduated. I enjoyed it a LOT. Most will not help with laundry, as they are not housekeepers, but they can sure keep the kids entertained while you or someone else does it.

    Tiffany

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Washing!
    I think your brother may be staying with me.
    Good luck with the au pair, I've heard good and bad stories. My advice: steer clear of the swedish, blonde perky types, it'll do your head in!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely tablecloths! I can see that teatowel in a quilt.
    I thought you'd prefer a Swedish Au Pair. Practical yet entertaining for you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have a similar looking pile of washing in my house - I keep thinking I must do something about it. At lwast it is clean which is more than can be said about the pile next to my bed!
    What great goodies, I love the cards and the teatowel is a piece of history! I hope there's a little Tassie hanging of the bottom :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. You Kitchsy teatowel matches my tablecloth from yesterday. Maybe they could get together and be friends?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dear Mrs MMMC I am applying for your job as an au pair. I am very experienced having helped with my younger sisters and brother. In the 1960s I was an au pair in Paris, France for a member of the former French aristocracy. I looked after the young heir and his sister. Though of course France is a republic and they probably just subsumed into part of the beau monde de nos jours.

    If you would like your darlings to be carefully prepared to be presented at the French Court when they reach an eligible age, I am your preferred appointee. However if meritocracy is your thing, then I can offer short sharp lessons in how washing machines/vacuum sweepers/dishwashers and dusters work to small people who think that playing with plastic toys is the only way to spend their waking hours. I shall bring with me a complimentary copy of Charles Kingsley's, " The Water Babies" for your perusal.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well, I can tell you that if you look behind the door in our bedroom the laundry pile is so big- that the door is starting to shut on it's own. I actually had to go to the store today to get deodorant, toothpaste, soap, & laundry detergent because it was way beyond time & I was tired of trying to scrap these things out of their packaging. I know about the busy thing- but at least we aren't bored. :) Good luck! Love that banana Valentine! Have a good weekend Carmel.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, Ms Elegance beats my application all to pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Forget about the au pair, pack up the kids and ship 'em to me....send Horsey too. You can keep the laundry. Thanks. MCM

    ReplyDelete
  19. that teatowel is my absoulte favorite item I would have been squealing as I pulled that out of the parcel.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hello - i have read your blog for a little while but this is my first comment (lurker, sorry!).

    I live on a farm and when my kids were young we had au pairs to help over the busy times. I had 4 over a period of about 3 years. Each one stayed for about 3 months. Three were absolutely brilliant and I am still in contact with them all. The other was an absolute nightmare.

    I think it is a wonderful concept but I would suggest a trial period first before you finalise arrangements. I also think that if it is not working out, go with your gut instinct and move them on at the first inkling of things going wrong. I gave our "nightmare" au pair too many chances. She was so slack and was encouraging the kids to lie to me about what they had done while I wasn't around....

    I think having an au pair is like most things. When it works it works really well and when it doesn't - it really doesn't!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hmm...I want to be your au pair. Can I pass as Japanese and anorexic, you think?

    ReplyDelete
  22. Deb,
    I'd employ you as an Au Four ... but I think you'll have your hands full in about eight months. (Deb's a soon-to-be Grandma).

    Kotaatok,
    you're always a wealth of info. Thank you. Hope you're feeling okay. I followed your advice and ended up getting half my face cut out! SPF 30 from now on.

    Sarapirat,
    I'd love you here ... you could teach all mine to dance. Have a great holiday.

    Laura,
    I like your new profile pic.

    Ariane,
    I may have to change the header. I thought the same about the faces, but I can't budge the lettering.

    L,
    if next summer is anything like this summer, then we're all doomed! Doomed, I tell you. You'd have a great time here.

    Tiffany,
    that's exactly what an Au Pair is. I hope they do their own laundry. 'Hello' to you by the way!

    Fiona,
    I'll make sure 'perky' isn't in the job description! The house isn't big enough for 'perky'.

    R&S,
    I did think of Swedish, but Fiona (above) has put me off.

    SarahB, who can forget Tasmania. That Sunday Arts programme was on tonight about MONA.

    Curlypops,
    they do match! Groovy!

    Ms EleganceVintage,
    you've got the job. You can visit your girls on the weekends.

    KLT, your laundry pile would have a lot of marimekko in it, I bet!

    MCM,
    the kids come with the laundry. I thought you knew that?

    Objects, the teatowel does deserve special treatment ... I just don't know what, yet.

    AFW,
    thank you for your advice. I found it very helpful ... I'd grill you for more if I could. And 'Hello' to you!

    Wendy, when I think of you, the only image I conjure is anorexic Giesha-type, Yiddish mother-of-six. True.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Get all the help you can get. I am on my knees with exhaustion, snapping at everyone and not at all nice to be around. I only have one little person who is at school 5 days a week. Most of the mums round here have au pairs - even if they don't work or study. It seems there is no sure way to get it right. I had to get an after school Nanny when I started studying because my hours are 9-5. She is a star, but I knew her already as she had worked for a friend who recently moved to the country. If it is wrong from the start my understanding is it doesn't improve. M-L

    ReplyDelete