Though, I thought I'd be less busy with 3/4 children at school everyday. I thought I'd have time where I could skip about, paint my nails and what-not. Turns out I'm busier than ever. You have to be very organised to get half-of half-a-dozen kinder to school everyday without the benefit of leaving them there overnight.
I'm especially busy being a signatory to the Declaration to Limit All International Internet Purchases and Purchases of General Domestic Unnecessaries.
Disappointingly, though, 2011 The International Year of Frugality, has gotten off to a roaring start.
International Years of Frugality are meant to get off to quiet and restrained starts.
I've secured a substantial, make that 'whole', interest in a tricky little Dutch matching game.
I own controlling shares in a pile of old children's book pages.
Some of the pages are good enough to frame.
But I'll use most of them to make birthday cards, because one of the clauses to the Declaration is a strict embargo on the purchase of Retail Greeting Cards which are a rip-off and, quite frankly, I'm sick of being taken for a fool!
I've also made some book purchases. These are by Tove Jansson of Moomin fame.
One of my pals lent me her blue copy of The Summer Book which I started reading and, when my copy arrived, I finished reading my edition. I was privy to two different introductions, which kept the mind active.
My edition had Moomin-esque illustrations.
The story is based on Tove Jansson's memories of holidaying on the islands of the Finnish archipelago when she was a little girl.
As an adult she lived on a small and remote island on the farthest edge of the Pellinge archipelago. Allegedly, Japanese tourists, who love her Moomin books, flock there in row boats every year to see her old hut and they take home with them little stones as souvenirs, to the point where it's feared there'll be no more stones left on the beach.
The Summer Book is described as 'a mid-century Scandinavian classic'. I love both aspects of that description.
I haven't started Travelling Light yet. Too busy.
And a quilt book. I have rights in that unnecessary.
Who doesn't love a quilt book with a poodle? I sure don't, or should that be 'do'?.
And I can make a quilt, and put some birds on it! (I hear that's all the rage).
To be continued ...
I think I'd quite like to read that summer book...
ReplyDeleteWhilst at the oppy today finding other frippery I did chance upon a lovely quilt made of vintage fabrics. It was $10 which renders all the vintage fabrics home stored for the quilt- to- be-one- day- made, a bit obsolete.
ReplyDeleteThe beloved and I sent home a few marble pebbles from Iona. I wanted to keep the memory of sleeping on those translucently bumpy balls. The post man commented that" Och, have ye Australians nay got enough of ye own beaches without stealing ours. I commented that we did but there were always Scotsmen lying on them, one of whom made me sleep on marble, pebbled beaches!
agree with you 100% on purchased Greeting Cards!
ReplyDeleteAnna,
ReplyDelete$14- from the Book Depository. Cheap as.
Annie, funny. The equatorial balance is going to go orf with all this rock stealing and moving.
Lyndel,
ReplyDeleteI forgot you! Yes, bought greeting cards are a rort ... especially if, in most cases, they just get thrown in the bin! I'd rather glue something together and tie it off with twine and see that get thrown in the bin rather than $6-plus dollars in Hallmark Greetings!
oh another poodle! perhaps the poodles are an omen this week?
ReplyDeletei never read those books by t.jansson, i think i will though. wasn't even aware they existed...and those will make lovely greeting cards.
♥
Oh, you have been busy. I think it's hard to avoid busy. Regardless of how much time we have it's never enough even if we fill it with purposeless time wasting activities.
ReplyDeleteThanks for your thoughts of me and my family during the cyclone. We fled to Townsville on Tuesday night and the cheeky bugger followed us...fortunately not all the way. I think Townsville got the equivalent of a Cat2. We didn't get home until 6 days later though during to flooding which was a bit of a bugger. The drive home was so sad. Cardwell and Tully are a mess. So devastated it's incomprehensible. I was speaking to a lady at work today who's mother lives at Tully Heads. All she has left is a plate. That's it. House and all are gone.
Sara,
ReplyDeletepoodles are everywhere! There's even one lying on the floor behind me as I type! The Summer Book is beautiful. It was recommended to me. Definitely worth reading esp. after a hearty dinner of beer and chocolate!
Bernice, I did think of you and your family. I'm glad you're okay. I don't think you could realise the destruction unless you saw it first hand. A plate. Isn't that sad? Poor thing. I think I'd have to laugh, otherwise devastation like that would (figuratively) flatten me.
I'm so busy too - Too busy to even list what keeps me so busy :) Busy body, XOL
ReplyDeleteThe Summer Book sounds wonderful, I'm rather partial to a Tove Jansson story or two, and only $14, I shall run not walk (figuratively speaking) straight to the Book Depository.
ReplyDeleteOne can only think you must have had your fingers crossed when you signed that "Declaration to Limit all International Internet Purchases and Purchases of General Domestic Unnecessaries"!!!
ReplyDeleteI know all about keeping busy...but I can relax a little bit, now that Jason has gotten over his crankiness. It's amazing how steak for dinner most nights makes him overlook my domestic house keeping failings!
ReplyDeleteHave you started your quilt yet?? xx
No wonder you are so busy with all the declaration rule breaking! The pics will be fantastic as cards - what a great idea.
ReplyDeleteI have to say I love anything if it includes a poodle. Darn great dogs :)
Handmade cards are much lovelier anyway. The Quilts made modern looks very inspiring. How is the quilting going ? (and are you having fun?)
ReplyDeleteLovely, lovely, lovely -- pics, quilts, puzzle, all gorgeous. I've actually looked up Tove's island on Google Earth but it is just one 'rock' among many and doesn't look too welcoming.
ReplyDeleteI love your purchases. I hate to buy cards and usually try and make mine too. As you say, may as well throw out something nice.
ReplyDeleteYou are a Busy Bee! Need Quilt Pattern!
Man you found some great items....I love the houses I would love a whole poster out of those and the poodle....Love him!
ReplyDeleteWhere in the name of all that is holy did you find those book pages? Really must go to the oppies 'round your way...mine are nowhere near as thrilling.
ReplyDeleteCarmel, please stop tempting me with books!! I have been obsessed by moomins ever since your post. and i have already bought two books from book dep. one about beatrix potter's life (like i don't know anything about her) and one of carl larsson's illustrations (like i don't have any of them). can't you pick up a boring hobby and talk about it? what about ...bridge or backgammon? have nercy of my credit card.
ReplyDeleteI am particularly taken with the page that cryptically states, "Woomboro is highly educated." It reminds me of the computer in Hitch hiker's Guide complaining, "Brain the size of a universe..."
ReplyDeleteGood morning, dear Busy Bee.
ReplyDeleteHave a nice day. You're in my mind, in awe.
♥ Ariane.
"A mid-century Scandinavian classic' brilliant hook, I HAVE to buy it now. Megan xx
ReplyDelete* Totally agree on the greeting cards.
Laura,
ReplyDeletemaybe I'm so 'busy' because I spend so much time on the computer making up dumb blogs!
AW,
it is definitely worth the purchase. It is a beautiful, classic book.
Fiona,
I'm questioning whatever it was I signed ... I blame the bullish dollar.
Brismod,
steak, eh? Clever woman. Yes, have started the quilt. Stay tuned.
SarahB,
I thought you may like the poodle. Fabulous creatures.
Melissa,
the quilting book is a bit advanced for me ... it's like it's in another language. You'd understand it. So far, I'm just standing about looking at your squares wondering how you get your hands on so much fabulous fabric!
Jane,
yes, I'd read TJ's island was pretty remote ... which is ironic because her 'Travelling Light' book is a serious of stories with a theme that 'no man is an island' cut-off from others. Reminds me of High School English exams.
Deb, you do need a quilt pattern!
Heidi, yes you're a poodle lover too! What's not to love? Poodle wee's not lovable, now I think of it.
Wendy,
I got those from an American seller on Etsy ... I can give you the store if you like. She probably hails from Milwaukee. I don't buy locally; Makes too much sense.
Bobbi,
I'll think of a boring post for you! Maybe the next one will be boring. I think you'd like The Summer Book.
Annie,
not sure what to do with that page!
Ariane,
I think I've just been lazy up to now, gotten away with not doing much. Reality is hitting me.
Megan,
I'm so glad my pal suggested I read the book. It is beautiful and funny and sad also. Get it and we'll start a local cult-following.
I see you are busy. I see the airplanes. I see the birds on the quilt and Tove's books. They're everywhere. They're everywhere!! Would comment more, but too busy.
ReplyDelete