Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Blog funk.

I'm in a complete blog funk.

Can't think of anything to say. Don't think I'd want to say it if I did.

I've exhausted, or exorcised, my Christmas spirit.

Though I've almost finished 'Carry On, Jeeves' ... and chortled 'What, ho!' on many occasions while reading it.


Am going to start this book next ... lent to me by a fellow Stephen Fry fan ...maybe poetry is my calling.

Recall how I applied for a job at the beginning of November? Do you think I've heard anything? Negative. I'm hoping it's merely an example of the 'public service' in action.

 

And I'm listening to this CD. I have no idea what nationality this woman is ... but she's fabulous. I can't understand a word she's singing. She's from a South American country somewhere in South America. Not Japan or Scotland, as suggested by Australia's next Foreign Minister, the Hon. Child 3 MP.


A blog funk. Even the Christmas wreath's lost its pizazz.


And today, because of the heat, I look like an extra from one of the beach wedding scenes from The Bold and the Beautiful as I'm getting about in white linen pants, circa late 80s.


This is the Woolworths parcel pick-up ... I had to endure the grocery shopping with all four children this morning. I must have looked particularly frazzled because a nice woman pulled me away from my trolley, put a hand on my shoulder and said, "You know they're all beautiful."

I was one synapse explosion from screaming "ASSAULT!" but instead I said, "Well, I guess those marketing gurus have the packaging for cereals down-pat now."

And she said, "No, your children."

And said, "Really? Do you think? Because I'm about to cry ... " as Child 2 and 3 hurled themselves on their stomachs from one aisle to the next under the grocery shelving.


Though I noticed the nice woman didn't take any of them off my hands ... nor was she at home to unpack all the BBQ Shapes. The grocery haul looks remarkably minuscule now we're home. I'm going to have to go back tomorrow for more.


I have to buy more cheese as I discovered Martha had already begun to consume today's purchase, possibly somewhere between the deli and the pet food aisle which is where she usually gnaws open a bag of something.


And can you believe I've decided to stop drinking wine at night?

21 comments:

  1. Oh Martha, "possibly somewhere between the deli and the pet food aisle which is where she usually bites open a bag of something" made me burst out laughing.
    I'm glad your children make good blog fodder even when you do feel in a funk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blog funk is still highly entertaining!xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Still enjoyable reading. I think the not drinking wine at night is okay as long as you are still having it at lunchtime.

    Re Woolworths - I did something 4 years ago which I would say on a rough calculation improved my life by about 10% - I started doing my supermarket shopping online. They come to you when it is convenient to you and put all those nightmarish heavy bags straight on the kitchen bench. Once you have a master list set up shopping takes literally 10 minutes. Trust me. (Use Coles not Safeway though their website is rubbish).

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're a superwoman - blog funk or not! Juggling four kids and the supermarket and Christmas and looking for a job - that's a pretty darn good effort if you ask me! BTW - agree with Jane - you need to start online shopping. Then you can peruse the aisles in your 80s pants and sip vino in the comfort of your own home.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, of course, the last comment explains the funk. I assume you're still drinking during the day though?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Babies...they seemed like a good idea at the time...right?

    Is Christmas really the right time to give up drinking wine at night? Or, are you just planning on starting a bit earlier in the day, say 11?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Would hairspray help your wreath 'get some air'? (Bomb diving term learnt yesterday at backyard 'day care' for stray 11 yr olds). No doubt the humidity has taken its toll on wreath stiffness. At least Martha has the good sense to gnaw something tasty and not eg. the dog food. I make the kids deliver a grocery bag or two each...just the light ones of course...there have to be some perks with 5 kids. ( The toddler just carries my bag and any stray camembert.) I'm sure Stephen could write an ode about if it were anywhere remotely within his sphere of experience.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Camembert is food and food , camembert.
    That is all ye know on earth and all ye need to know.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Are you having your wine at breakfast now with your vegemite? Poor Martha, do feed the child. Like everyone else has said, you are still funny even with a funk and wearing 80's pants.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh what funny tales. I can assure you that the Public service switched their brains off for any procurement until the New Yr. Giving up wine in the silly season? I was so frazzled at Coles deli the other day I asked if she had any gin back there.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'd suggest a glass of wine, or two...
    I understand the sheese munching, I'd do that if I wasn't an adult. For a blogger in a funk, this is a great post :)
    ps my little china acorn is from Have You Met Miss Jones. The birds are the same but the rabbit is resin me thinks.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes I agree, good plan to finish off the bottle of wine before dark. Then you can go straight to bed without fixing dinner. Brilliant!

    I know about blog funks too. Sometimes I want to just write, "Sorry, all gone, no more, my witty clever self ran out of material. The End."

    Thanks for the beautiful bit of Jen Ski. Lovely card, inside and out. Very exciting to receive a card from so far away.

    My ambien is starting to kick in. Better make it to the bed before it's too late.

    ReplyDelete
  13. L,
    wait 'til you have some! You'll laugh until you cry! And then you give them to your mum to babysit.

    Thank you, Brismod.

    Two Janes,
    yes the online option was suggested by the Stephen Fry lender. I should look into it ... I did do it once, but it seemed a lot of effort at the time, but today was awful.

    Zigsma,
    yes, still hydrating during the day and wiping any excess with Marimekko napkins. Thank you.

    Annie,
    because one glass quickly turns to three. I haven't any hairspray! I'll get one of the children to pick some up next time we're all at the supermarket. Stephen would be proud of your camembert ode.

    Estelle,
    you're right. I've got a glass of Yalumba now.

    Deb,
    that baby was chewing on everything. I think the holidays have made them ravenous.

    R&S,
    too funny. It was at the Deli where I started to tear-up and use a high-pitched wail.

    SarahB, resin rabbit. Thanks for explaining the acorn.

    MCM,
    Glad to hear you're doped up ... but lucid!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ha! What a day! My husband has just taken three away, and I'm at home with the little one. And she has figured out how to open the grog cupboard and this morning brought me the Baileys at 8.30am. One swig and the vacuuming was done. Probably won't read about that in the parenting mags. Good luck to you, and best get online. Try tomorrow when you don't have too much to get. It's wonderful when they arrive on your table. I used to get all my fruit and veg from aussieshopper when i lived in bris, and it was all so fresh it lasted SO much longer than the coles stuff. enough of my preaching. too tired to capitalise anymore... goodnight!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Quit the wine after the holidays. Pour yourself a glassa and lounge in those white linen pants. I wish I was Santa this time of year. He gets ALL of the credit with none of the work or expense. Us moms are stuck with decorating, crazy grocery shopping trips, present shopping, card selecting/writing/mailing, all of the kid holiday events, etc...etc...etc... No wonder you're having a mind block. Deep breaths :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey Momma, email me your address I have a little pick me up I'm going to send you!(a little Swede.
    your shopping story made me laugh, a couple of years ago I was shopping with all 3 of mine and they were horrid this day and we were about to run straight into the principal, so I said please for me just act like you love each other....he had already seen them so embarresing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello, Make mine Mid-Century,
    yes, very funny your blog funk...and: do you know "A Bit of Fry and Laurie" or "Jeeves & Wooster" with Stephen Fry? lol...
    Ariane.

    ReplyDelete
  18. My grandmother Menina went from wine to Prozac. I'd say stick with the wine. So much healthier.

    Stephen Fry!! I like him.

    We could arrange an international exchange: your four kids for my nine cats. How's that?


    Hairylegs (my new nickname)

    ReplyDelete
  19. You may be in a funk, but it doesn't show! You've made me laugh with this one! Hope you hear something about a job soon.
    Have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What you need is one of those wine glasses you hang around your neck, fill it as required and drink it as required.
    At the supermarket , you can fudge, and make everyone think it's a Christmas type neck decoration.
    Don't expend all of your energy, as there's some serious furniture moving going on at the homestead which can only benefit from your experienced eye in such matters, not to mention your advice on what to heave, what to scramble, without Grandad seeing it happen.

    ReplyDelete