This is a photo of Fallingwater ...
in this edition of Childcraft.
And here it is in Summer (or autumn if you look at those leaves).
An incredible building. I feel like I know it intimately.
An incredible building. I feel like I know it intimately.
Because here's our Lego version. All 811 pieces. I loved constructing it with Child One.
She started it, and when it became a bit tricky, I finished it off. I could make it again right now. It was that satisfying seeing how all the pieces fitted together.
She started it, and when it became a bit tricky, I finished it off. I could make it again right now. It was that satisfying seeing how all the pieces fitted together.
It was built in three main pieces (the Lego version) which slotted together neatly ... and within it, they're all these different levels and spaces.
If you like architecture, and you're not afraid of Internet shopping (because I think you can only get it from America, which is ok for Americans), I would say "Get one! Like, Now!"
Ours is waiting for its brother The Guggenheim, to arrive!

That is sensational - I'd rather construct a Lego Fallingwater over a Millenium Falcon any day. Did it come with a Kaufmann minifigure??
ReplyDeleteYou are the coolest mom ever. What patience! What skill! And no little guys!
ReplyDeleteVery clever! Love it!
ReplyDeletethat is very cool.
ReplyDeletetotally understand that you had to finish it too.
I may have done that with a jigsaw puzzle recently...
Sigh.
ReplyDeleteIt's been a few years since I stepped on a lego in the middle of the night on a bathroom run. Ouch. I was sort of glad when the kids out grew them. And now this! It is lovely, isn't it? I just read a book on FLW. Very interesting person. Can't wait to see the Guggenheim.
ReplyDeleteOh I want one! Have checked and Amazon UK can supply the Guggenheim kit for a very modest price in January. But when I mentioned it to Mr EM he said, "And WHERE will you put it?". That's the downside of hoarding. Not one square inch of spare shelf space!
ReplyDeleteYou can also get them at the Qld Art Gallery Store online...I think. It looks fabulous. It's a wonderful thing to do with your children especially with the rainy weather we've been having. xx
ReplyDeletethis is the second time this week that my husband has been really excited by something I've shown him on a blog... it looks great!
ReplyDeleteDear MMMC,
ReplyDeleteI must confess that I like it very much. Can't believe that its LEGO. A Frank Lloyd Wright building! Terrific!
Ariane.
I think it is brilliant! I'm a fan of lego from way back and do love Frank's work. What a fab combo.
ReplyDeleteI did in fact play with lego on Christmas day with my 3yr old neice, but didn't quite manage Falling Water, more like a dodgy tractor with a trailer. Still fun though. Can't wait to see your Gugg!
It's been so long since I've replied to any comments ... sorry.
ReplyDeleteLiesl,
No mini-residents. Thus, I can more easily imagine a mini-me living inside.
Wendy,
I wouldn't say 'cool' ... just 'domineering' and wanting to impose my tastes on everyone else!
1950's & Deb,
You need to get one.
Anna,
yes, nothing more satisfying than putting in the final piece and claiming all credit. I spoke to another Mother-of-Four today who also waxed-lyrical about the jigsaw!
MCM,
I can't wait to see the Guggenheim either ... vicarious Lego experience for you.
Ms E-M,
can't you turf some yellowing newspapers? Better to expire of old age behind the Guggenheim than a pile of The Times! Think ... there could be a bit of Lego permanently embedded in your forehead.
Brismod, I'll have a look at the Qld gallery site. Thank you, you clever thing!
Catherine,
i think your husband has made the Eiffel Tower from Lego, has he not? He therefore knows his Lego monuments of significance.
Ariane,
it is lovely. I look at it all the time. If only I had your camera skills to capture it properly.
SarahB,
Can't wait to see your first brew!
You know if you're rich and famous you get your a tour of this house i.e. Angelina Jolie for Brad Pitt's birthday. It's certainly an interesting building. I'd love a gander! Exhibiting fantastic mother of the year award behaviour yet again. Well done! I find lego therapeutic, although we're a bit boring making only cars, boats and planes.
ReplyDeleteI'm thrilled to be able to tell you that I have been to Fallingwater. Even though I was only 16, I still knew I was witnessing something incredible. It was amazing, truly amazing and it was snuggled away in the woods - with those glorious liquid amber trees all around (if that's what they are). We spent a good few hours there soaking in the atmosphere. From an architectural perspective, it is difficult to understand how it can even work...I wonder if the leggo version allows any insight into how it was really constructed from an engineering perspective???
ReplyDeleteWow! I have to show my three lego-builder-kids this! Maybe they'll want to swap mum...
ReplyDeleteWow carmel. This is fantastic...I have tears, as you know I am quick to tears, but that is beside the point. The reason is we are a lego lovin family..or sadly were a lego family. They now sit in many large plastic crates under my 18 year olds bed. But I kept for years a model we made in lego of our dream house. You would have loved it..very mid century inspired. CAn't wait to see the next chap. (Don't miss the pain of standing on little pieces oflego left on the floor though ha) HAPPY NEW YEAR Cheers Katherine
ReplyDeleteMy mother still has my Childcrafts! I was also tempted to buy Falling Water. Our 2010 calendar was a FLW. It took Zig all of November to notice that it was the same house as in the Three Little Architects. Can't wait to see your Lego Guggy. Lego Guggy. Lego Guggy.
ReplyDelete