My fake moustache blew off that many times the children now recognise me. I had them calling me "Uncle Roger" for a couple of hours.
And, the wind came on the back of about six years' worth of rain.
We drove back from the Coast in the rain and I had visions of the car aqua-planing on many an occasion. I remained the rational mustachioed mother and screamed for an hour that the Husband's driving was going "KILL US ALL!" And the children all screamed back, 'Uncle Roger you're scaring us!'
Apart from the weather, the Christmas gigs for the MMMCs have started.
The ladies' lunch, of course.
I changed my mind about the red luncheon theme ... and went for a pinkish-green feel. In retrospect, more flowers were needed. Hospitality is a life-long learning process, I suspect.
Though, how lovely to host a lunch for like-minded ladies! They help themselves to what they want; they help clear the table; they bring lots of delicious, simple dishes; they are relaxed company; no one fell off their chair. I'd recommend, to everyone, having such a lunch.
And then we had Christmas lunch with grandma and grandad.
You don't want to know about that, other than to say, there were crackers ...
You don't want to know about that, other than to say, there were crackers ...
... and paper hats.
And grandad brought his horse inside. Again. There it is in the background trying to look like hired help.
And he bought his goose inside.
And someone spiked the cat's drink ...
And now it's all on board for Christmas Day. I was inspired by one of the ladies at the luncheon's brown crockery.
So I created this kitcheny tableau-ish montage.
I think green and brown are the colours for Christmas 2010 - embrace their 70s organic goodness.
And you know how I am the apron's biggest advocate? Well, I received this calico one which tells you what to do when you gaze down wondering how the hell you'd ended up in the kitchen.
I think green and brown are the colours for Christmas 2010 - embrace their 70s organic goodness.
And you know how I am the apron's biggest advocate? Well, I received this calico one which tells you what to do when you gaze down wondering how the hell you'd ended up in the kitchen.
I might whip-up some prawn cocktails, because anything with tomato sauce in the recipe can't be that complicated ...
and then do some Swedish meatballs (there's a recipe in the 1977 edition of The World Book's Christmas in Scandinavia) but I think I will use the one I found a few years ago in the KikkiK catalogue.
Anyone know where one may get lingonberry jam in Brisbane, other than at Ikea?
Anyone know where one may get lingonberry jam in Brisbane, other than at Ikea?
Grandma has a lot of Christmas books which I perused for Seasonal inspiration.
Someone has to have a cry on Christmas Day. It's part of the tradition.
These books are wonderful ... full of classic recipes and photos. I'll go through them and see if I can find something interesting for you.
And finally, I've never before sat down and made something with Lego ...
But recreating Fallingwater is enough to convince me that building with Lego is quite relaxing ...
Child One jumped right in and she's almost finished ... we're taking turns and doing different stages ...
What an amazing building and a great way to introduce children to Frank Lloyd Wright. I'll show you it when it's finished.
PS Thanks to those who commented and thought about Jane.
Someone has to have a cry on Christmas Day. It's part of the tradition.
These books are wonderful ... full of classic recipes and photos. I'll go through them and see if I can find something interesting for you.
And finally, I've never before sat down and made something with Lego ...
But recreating Fallingwater is enough to convince me that building with Lego is quite relaxing ...
Child One jumped right in and she's almost finished ... we're taking turns and doing different stages ...
What an amazing building and a great way to introduce children to Frank Lloyd Wright. I'll show you it when it's finished.
PS Thanks to those who commented and thought about Jane.



I don't know where to start. I'm screaming with laughter at the paper hats and crackers. Does Grandad's pony poopie in the pantry??? All those ladies in their sundresses make me sooo jealous.
ReplyDeleteI think we're having the same weather that you're having. Major wind and rain warnings and lots of flooding in my neck of the woods. Love the apron and I thought of you when I saw that Lego set online somewhere.
Martha did great guns with the paper hat! Was that you crying at the partay?
I'm exhausted reading that! And seriously impressed by all your Christmassy planning and doing. And that pic of your little one with the cat is priceless! I love a human-feline Mexican stand-off!
ReplyDeleteDeb,
ReplyDeleteI completely forgot about grandad's poodle who was also present ... poodles possess a propensity to partake in pooping in the pantry.
It all looks like so much fun :)
ReplyDeleteI can't believe Lego do Falling Water, that's brilliant!
I love that Lego, I haven't seen the Lego Architecture before but I agree that it is a great way to introduce the kiddies to some wonderful buildings. I just loved that post, especially Grandad's horse, that had me laughing in my coffee. Hope you and the family have a really wonderful Christmas :)
ReplyDeleteIsn't that Lego brilliant. I love the Guggenheim one too. Your ladies luncheon looked fab. Such a gorgeous table setting. And I second the green and brown 70s revival! xx
ReplyDeleteCouldn't help noticing that like-minded ladies at the luncheon also had paper hats.
ReplyDeleteDid they come out of crackers or were they handed out at the door?
They certainly look up-market, however, fitting within the colour scheme.
You crack me up. I forgot to mention I love the photo of the cat! Then when I saw who was slipping her drinks in the next photo I laughed even more.
ReplyDeletePussy cats possess a propensity to poop pbehind pwood pstoves don't you know.
Kerry,
ReplyDeletethe poor cat had to put-up with a lot of cat chasing.
Sarah B,
it is a wonderful set, but a bit tricky because there's basically only two colours of bricks ... so it all looks the same!
AussieW,
I hope you have a lovely Christmas too. Yours should be quite nice and warm on the Coast!
Brismod,
I thought there was another FLW building ... I'll have to look up the Guggenheim now. That's be wonderful to make. Brown and green ... I'm glad it speaks to you.
DMC,
the most foolish of the ladies brought her own crackers. She thinks she's funny!
Deb, I love silent 'P', don't you know? Have you read the 'Psmith' series by Wodehouse?
I think kitty slipped a little something into Martha's tea. Smart kitty, slow Martha down and kitty gets a little peace and quiet. Looks like you're having a great holiday season. Love the loving looks Grandpa gets from his grandbabies.
ReplyDeleteI can't believe you are introducing your children to Frank Lloyd Wright.
ReplyDeleteOne more reason to become your fifth kid. I'll crawl, giggle and drool while discussing architecture, if that's more your type.
hairylegs
haha at your cat! I love that photo. I'm also a fan of the 70s ;)
ReplyDeleteLoved the whole montage actually :) Have a great christmas!
I was so shocked by Frank Llyd Wright that I forgot to mention the swedish book...ohhh scandinavian Christmas traditions!!! Even if those Scandinavians in those pics look strange,( but hey, the seventies have been hard on everyone everywhere ) and I am vegeterian, so no meatballs, I'm sure I would love it.
ReplyDeleteWe have no interest in others traditions but our own here in Italy, If I'd tell my mom we wouldn't have Panettone but a Swedish Christmas she would hit me throwing her clogs at me.
See? One more reason to be your fifth child.
I cannot believe you have never played with Lego. When I was young, my brother had a blood condition that looked a lot like leukemia, but wasn't, but did require his spleen being removed. My mother kept me entertained in the waiting rooms with lego. I even had my own tiled table and chair set in royal blue. My brother recovered (some would say very well as he is 6 foot 2 and the father of two sets of twins!) and mixed my lego into his, never to be seen again.
ReplyDeleteThat all looks like loads of fun! How fantastic to have a family lego project on the go. Lego is massive at our place, thank goodness for lego! Those christmas books are brilliant, enjoy the festive season!
ReplyDeleteWhat a cute and hilarious round-up of your day! V inspired by your pink-greenish theme and loving that apron too...do you happen to know where I could nab one??
ReplyDeleteOHhhhhh STOP please, I'm exhausted from keeping track and laughing till I almost left a wet patch! How are YOU??? Hope you're slowly recovering ... I so wish I'd been there ;))
ReplyDeleteI commented on your most recent post before I saw this one - love your ladies lunch. Can't believe you managed it with a 1 year old. I think I might be up to it next year. We'll see. And a brown and green christmas sounds lovely too - I'm doing the deco with kids so have decided red and white are the easiest combo to communicate to them - and if I'd included green we would have ended up with a red+green=brown poo coloured christmas - not a nice, sophisticated brown like yours...
ReplyDeleteso merry christmas again. Come back when the mood takes you...!
I honestly thought of you when I was in Finland! I couldn't think of anyone else who would have wanted to be there ;)
ReplyDeleteWhere's you photo of you in the moustache? You are so brave to intentionally have facial hair :)
Merry merry Christmas!! XOL