I have Company coming in a week.
Not a corporate conglomerate. No. Some of my friends are coming for a 'ladies luncheon'.
You recognise some of the Bitossi family above. The third from the left is certainly Italian ... but I'm not sure it's Bitossi. It really is difficult to know for sure sometimes.
So, I've been pointlessly cleaning. Pointlessly, because the minute I clean, it gets messy again, and I have to come back and clean what I just cleaned.
And then I see fabulous interiors on blogs such as Apartment Therapy and I race off and start rearranging vases. Like that will make a difference.
The above is a mix of Danish Knabstrup and two pieces of Royal Copenhagen Fajance.
The above ceramic bucket is my most favourite piece ... The other vase went missing in the post between here and America this time last year. It was heart-wrenching stuff - I was concerned 1) that some uneducated mug would have gotten his/her hands on it and not given it the careful-handed appreciation it deserves or 2) it would have been smashed in transit.
Here on the left are some Clarice Cliff Bizarre pieces by Wedgwood. Wedgwood, which owns the Clarice Cliff name, reproduced some of her more popular lines. These are marked 2002. Ms Cliff died in 1972. And, you know Glasmadamer and the ceramic cat ... they came from my favourite ceramics supplier, Menno, in the Netherlands.
He's still got lots of pieces worth trading people-under-the-age-of-six for. Thus far, he's been unwilling to trade in people-under-the-age-of-six, so I've had to use hard currency to secure ceramics from him.
I'll break him and he'll come 'round.
I'll break him and he'll come 'round.
Anyway, back to the Company. The Husband said he'd take 3/4 children 'West' for the day, so I can spend some 'alone time' with the ladies ... Isn't that magnanimous?
There'll be a total of eight ladies - we've got 26 children between us and I'm sure we'll all be glad to be rid of them all for a bit.
The ladies are all sophisticates and witty and lovely so they make me look good! Some of us (not me, thank goodness) have had a pretty rotten year and the idea is that we can take some time to enjoy each other's company and regroup; ready for a better and brighter next year.
I've been dying to pull out these corker Champagne saucers. I don't like champagne, or its other geographical equivalents, so these don't ever get a run. I like holding the glasses though, so I guess I could drink water from them.
We're keeping it all really casual with each guest bringing a dish of something. I'm looking forward to bringing out some of my mother's old coffee and tea paraphernalia.
I'm guessing the silver thing is a coffee pot? Anyone know how it works?
I only wish I had a decent set of crockery on which to serve lunch ... But we'll have to ignore that fact and keep the eclectic plates on the periphery and concentrate on the important things - The fact that we got through the year relatively unscathed.
And as for music - I watched a bit of the hilarious Peter Sellers in The Party last night, so I think some Stan Getz and other 60s jazz is on the cards ... as is the rapid construction of an indoor-outdoor swimming pool.
I seem to have acquired a new 'app' on my apple that tells me when you have updated your blog. Oh glee. Now I don't have to stalk you - it does the stalking for me.
ReplyDeleteThe luncheon is looking rather special. Maybe attendees should wear a mu'umu'u or a mini to offset the beautiful object d'art - and the indoor/outdoor pool. Will there be an elephant in the room?
That rectangular blue bitossi vase is up my alley. Enjoy your lunch and don't get hung up on the cleaning. You've a beautiful home, with gorgeous furniture and decor. Who cares though, us lucky white folk doing lunch? ;) Not to mention Horsey. I mean c'mon?!
ReplyDeleteReader 3,
ReplyDeleteI've hired an elephant to 'man' the bar. I'd love a gaggle of mu'umu'us ... so many apostrophes, so little time!
The lost and found vase is beautiful and strangely familiar. However it is that rather fabulous red coffee set that takes the cake. What is it and from whence did it come? Is this meeting anything to do with the sewing circle or the long ago dinner in the Mexican dress? Will you be wearing your son's tiny jeans and serve dainty plates of birdy num nums? How intriguing!
ReplyDeleteR&S,
ReplyDeleteyou are too nice. I have to clean. Really, if only you knew!
AA,
the vase is a familiar element! I can't bring myself to change it! The red coffee set is Japanese porcelain. I've had it for years. I was thinking today that it must be at least 40 years old. Maybe my mother will enlighten us more. I think I've also seen an orange set at some point too.
This group of lunchers is a mixed bag of birds, so Birdy Num-Nums is definitely in order as an entree!
Oh, Peter Sellers, I love him. And i adore Stan Gets! I saw him playing live when I was a bit more than a teen ager and it was incredible.
ReplyDeleteI'm italian and I don't know what a Bitossi is.
Shame on me.
I really like the blue vase in the first pic. You should pull out your duck dishes for the luncheon! I'm feeling so left out re lunch I'm off to swill some champagne from my plastic sippy cup.
ReplyDeleteI love ladies lunches especialy with cocktails or champayne women really open up when liquered up....I covet your collection of pottery and treasures!!! When I close the store this is how I want to decorate the new family room!!!
ReplyDeleteYou have such style!
Wow, you've got some great pieces in your collection. You could spend days rearranging! I can empathise with the cleaning too - I sometimes get the bit between my teeth and go hell for leather only to then find the dog slobbering on window glass, the kids spilling food etc etc. But it's all worth it in the end and I'm sure you'll have a great shindig!
ReplyDeleteHa ha ha, I do the same thing: see amazing interior design photos, then run around rearranging things in hopes I can make my mess look like their slick style lol...
ReplyDeleteYou know, Mom had the awful blue bird she bought back in the 60's I thought it looked like something found in a Hippy hangout. Summer of Love and all that US nonsense.
So one day I'm going through eBay auctions, and I see this same awful blue bird... Tail broken off at one time and re-glued, selling for over $200 US!
It was a Rimini blue Bitossi!
And to think I almost threw it away! Now I like it a whole lot more lol
Coffee percolator requires coffee beans ground but not to a powder.
ReplyDeleteSee coffee part of Woolies supermarket.
New Guinea blends of Moccona produce an acceptable drop.
It's best to get a bag of beans and grind them in the shop freshly to your required consistency ( medium is safe), and seal the bag with the attached wire tape as directed on the instructions.
Fill perc. with water to where it says stop, depending on the number of cups you are intending.
That one is for 8.
Then put the stem inside resting on perc. interior with perforated section sliding down the stem ready to accept the ground coffee.
For 8, put 8 heaped teaspoons in and another for the pot.
Place on stove bringing it to the boil.
Turn down the heat so that it just gurgles away for a time , percolating up the stem and down through the coffee , thereby making the brew.
Don't percolate too short or too long .
About 10 minutes may be about right.
I forget, but always took the lid off to see what the brew looked like.
You can keep it hot on a low burner, but not for too long otherwise it becomes bitter.
Empty the container each time its finished. Don't be tempted to re-use the coffee.
Fresh coffee with each brew.
Then, keep ground coffee jar (or tin or bag ) in the normal part of frig keeping it fresh for your next bash.
I recognised the percolator because Mum had a similar one - it makes a fantastic noise. I'm having a ladies dinner here next week with the Mummies from my ante-natal class. Same deal - all bring a course - I can't tell you how much I'm looking forward to it. Enjoy your day and the percolator.
ReplyDeleteM-L
Look at that all that Bitossi gorgeousness! All your things are lovely.
ReplyDeleteWhat a wonderful idea for a get together with your good friends. I love entertaining without children!! It easier to get things ready and enjoy the company. xx
have a lovely time with the sophisticates and good luck with that percolater! (sp? instructions?! i just know my grandma used one - its a fascinating contraption!!)
ReplyDeleteBobbi,
ReplyDeleteglad you like Peter Sellars and Stan Getz! It makes the world such a small place ... someone you'd know would have Bitossi ... it's not rare!
Deb,
I gave the duck plates away! Like water off a duck's back!
Heidi, thank you. Is suggested to the Husband that he may want to stay in Brisbane so as to drive some of the ladies home, and he said "Will they be drinking?!"
Jane, that's exactly what happens! Slobbery dogguses.
50s Ranch House,
imagine if you'd turfed the Bitossi. That sort of thing keeps me awake at night.
DMC,
thank you.
M-L,
have a great lunch yourself. Fluffy in attendance?
Brismod,
thank you ... one day the blog-contingent will all get together! Even if I have to drag you!
Milady,
I'm a bit nervous about the percolator ... should probably move with the times and get one of those coffee-making devices ... you'd have a lovely lunch on your big table which is currently covered in costume-making stuff!
Timely percolator advice there, DMC. My friend borrowed mine this morning and I gave her instructions but will be referring her to yours for sheer attention to detail re the brands and grinds etc.
ReplyDeleteI want all of your pottery, please. What great collections!
ReplyDeleteYou know that other person, who is visiting Sydney at the moment and hosting her show. That isn't the event of the year. Your party will be the event of the year. And Clarice died the year I was born ... just saying ... lol
ReplyDeleteyou simply must get an indoor/outdoor swimming pool, and then bath a graffiti covered elephant. It's not a party until an elephant makes at least some sort of appearance.
ReplyDeleteToo bad about your ceramics dealer, I suppose he does not realize the market value for children under six. Some day.
as for your big coffee pot, fill it with however many cups of coffee you want, of water (let's say 12) then stand that rounded footed thingy inside. Spoon 6 tbps of coffee into said rouned thingy, put on the cover, plug it all in and turn it on. Voila!
Such a showorf! I am envious though...
ReplyDeleteWish I could join you! My eye went to the wood bird on your shelf.... and of course your lovely red Marimekko fabric....
ReplyDelete