Monday, December 6, 2010

A good read ...


 I'm about to start reading this book ...

Zigsma has her copy at the ready. She's up to Page Four at last report. If you have a copy, you may like to join us ... I'll give you a day or two to find yours. You may need your valet to assist in the search.

Don't all hurry at once.


I just finished Lucky Jim which was quite hilarious. Jim made some of my sozzled, historical exploits pale in comparison with his drunken bumblings.  And, I read two of the funniest sentences, that I've read in a long time, in this book.

I'd tell you them, but they won't seem funny out of context. Oh, I will anyway ... They come from the section where Dixon (Lucky Jim) is desperate to get to the train station to meet someone before this someone's train leaves, and the time of departure is rapidly drawing close, however he finds himself on frustratingly slow bus being driven by an equally frustrating bad driver:

"As the traffic thickened slightly towards the town, the driver added to his hypertrophied caution a psychopathic devotion to the interests of other road-users; the sight of anything between a removal-van and a junior bicycle halved his speed to four miles an hour and sent his hand, Dixon guessed, flapping in a slow-motion St Vitus' dance of beckonings and wavings-on. Learners practised reversing across his path; gossiping knots of loungers parted leisurely at the touch of his reluctant bonnet; toddlers reeled to retrieve toys from under his just-revolving wheels."



Told you they were funny sentences. Made me laugh out loud!

Anyway, I'm not sure how a book club, of sorts, with two members, works in Blogland. And Wodehouse isn't anything highbrow, though it's certainly no where near lowbrow. Just a jolly good romp.

If you want to join us, be quick about it ... it'll be smashing!

PS The winner of the Delft has been drawn ... but I had to move on to the next thing ...
December waits for no one.

20 comments:

  1. I do love the idea of a global book group, but I'm already in one (it's been going for about eight years now, of which we're very proud). I think one 'homework' book a month is probably just about all I can manage -- we're reading The Group by Mary McCarthy at the moment, which is fab, and then some Zola after that, don't you know?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jane,
    your group sounds intriguing.I'd love to know more ... I never get to read good books as I'm always having to read law text books for a good part of the year, and they're so boring, so come Christmas I'm so desperate to read anything that doesn't refer to a statute or a case!

    I'm going to look up your books after I finish Jeeves. One book a month sounds manageable, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS Jane,
    The Group sounds wonderful ... and I'm now guessing it's Emile Zola, don't you know?

    That's a step-up from my staple, Theodor Seuss Geisel, don't cha know!

    ReplyDelete
  4. probably the only book club I could manage at the moment would be a Seuss book club...
    though I like the idea of reading a "jolly good romp" of a book at some stage!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mr Curbside has located the fry and Lourie tv series based on these books and I will be joining you of sorts by ahem,... watching along. I would pick up the book, but I'm destined to fall asleep with my face in it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Catherine and Estelle,
    so glad you're willing to put your hands up not to read! I like that anyway.

    Though if you get the time, Wodehouse is every-second-sentence-funny, as far as I'm concerned.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jane - I've read McCarthy's memoir and have always wanted to read The Group. Thanks for the reminder. C'mon - join in. It's an easy read. I'm already up to page 6!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've just finished the first story ... and I surprised myself at how often I laughed aloud. And reminded myself why I love his books. Such simple humour and so perfectly written. Not a wasted word and buckets of innocent buffoonery.

    Zigsma, you're so literary ... you raise the standard of this blog. Though just a tad.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Why thank you, kind sir. Though I've never read Zola.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm ready with my 'Carry on, Jeeves' audiobook... but I suppose that counts as cheeting. The atmosphere is marvellous, like beeing in the room with them :) It's the only way I find time to read at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I read Lucky Jim! Too funny. I'll join the book club, I love to read. Just give me time to find ole Jeevesie. I find reading helps me to procrastinate better.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good Lord,you read big girl books not just kid books wow you are amazing were in the Fancy Nancy stage right now!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lilli,

    you press 'play' whenever you're ready! I love listening to audio books on the radio, they're so mesmerising. I can understand why children love to be read to.

    Deb, tell us when you find Carry on, Jeeves.

    Heidi,
    I rarely have the time to read 'big' books - only during the Cristmas holidays. I have a little friend who enjoys Fancy Nancy.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just noticed the dino enjoying your book. So entertaining!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my goodness! Thank you for insisting I read your post! How exciting. Sorry, I've been juggling the work thing with a child with chicken post so haven't been able to read everyones posts this week. I will email you immediately. How exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I was in a bookclub in Sydney. We'd read a book per month and covene at a different persons home for nibbles, then after a few wines discuss the book. Usually the latest production out of Allen & Unwin where we'd get free copies from another member who worked there as a publicist. All class we were, but those were the days! Lucky Jim's slow driving I can imagine very amusing when you like the character. I'm passing MMMC this time.

    ReplyDelete
  17. 2010 has not been a good year for me in the literature department. In fact, I haven't done much reading since having kids. Too much other stuff going on and something had to go. My husband is a huge reader and started a bookclub early this year (with real, living people) . He tried an on-line bookclub a few years ago but it didn't work for him. I think it was more the people running it (or not running it) that was the problem though. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh I LOVE the idea of an online book club - but December is out for me unfortunately. Bring on summer reading at the beach!

    ReplyDelete
  19. On online bookclub sounds like a great idea - can I order that with an extra day in the week to complete said reading task? Have fun .... I dream of having time to myself to read a novel. Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love P.G. Wodehouse, one of the funniest writers of all time!

    ReplyDelete