New Year's has me folding washing ... and thinking.
I'm thinking of other people, and their innate goodness.
People in the Netherlands who berate themselves, thinking they don't do enough to make the world a better place,
and while they're lamenting their lack of effort towards World peace, they're sending little packages of hand-chosen whimsy to people they don't know ... and those people beam with happiness.
And then there are others, further north, who naughtily hide treasure amongst mod-cons.
Hand-beaten, century-old silver, hand-polished late into the night, and fit only for a King ... and those people with the little spoon think it's plum worth its weight in gold.
And then there are others, a bit more south, who have more than enough to keep them busy, who at the mention of a word, will front the postal push-and-shove and send something else ...
which arrives unexpectedly and almost immediately, and prompts a flurry of furniture polishing and cleaning; a reminder to those people on the receiving-end to preserve what's handcrafted and valuable ...
That's what I'm doing for New Year's ... folding and thinking. Not of what's been received, but thinking of these people who possibly don't realise that their goodness, and their impact, lies in their thinking of other people ... and that generosity and selfless goodness spreads its way right across the world ...
Thank you people. Over and out.
PS So many undies found while folding! Who'd have thought.
That's lovely! I knew folding laundry was good for something.
ReplyDeleteHappy New Yr MMMC! I do find NYE a time for contemplation, and folding is conducive to that, as is scrubbing mildew from walls (which seems to have taken up residence in these parts.) I'm staying home tonight and hope to play a game of scrabble with my husband, maybe listen to music and chat. Seriously the party levels are off the richter! I love your big cane basket, and those origami star things are truly lovely!
ReplyDeleteOkay that's a year. Roger that!
thanks for your lovely comment! (you brighten up my day..)All the best for 2011, keep on folding!-x-
ReplyDeleteOh yeah, deep thinking always happens at the clothes line & piling up 4 different stacks of knickers (i lie, my twins share knickers, is that weird, at 9??) Anyway, i don't go looking for extra work!! Happy New Year and may your fantastic taste in furniture & design continue in 2011, teaching us all the whimsy of mid century ways. Love Posie
ReplyDelete...and then there is a little girl in a sailour's dress who grew up to be a real generous, caring, humorous, wise mother of four and a true friend. With that in mind we enter 2011 with much, much joy! Thank you for all the laughs in 2010! xox
ReplyDeleteI´m so happy you´ve encountered the digital world and blogging! It´s been a year of laughter and smiles reading your blog. I wish you all the best in the new year. To you, all four, husband, grandpa and dog (and all the rest) :) L.
ReplyDeleteI was cleaning the mess around my house and the deepest thought I had was '##@!!πƒΩ†††!!!'
ReplyDeleteI'm not a lady when I clean. I say things I could get arrested for.
I envy your class, thinking about goodness in people while folding tons of laundry.
You never know where a good friend can come from, right? Just like good ideas.
Happy new year!
Cute post Missy, I found all of our panties in a clothes basket yesterday I had to laugh everyone was complaining for the lack of them, today maybe I'll match up socks and think, I hate that job!How come other peoples kids look so cute and sweet...haha! Mine all go back to school Monday and I'm going to take a nap! My 2 little one have been fighting and fighting over nothing, I think back, my poor Mother what we put her through.
ReplyDeleteHappy New Year!
Happy New Year!
ReplyDeleteDear MMMC,
ReplyDelete...I've heard from lots of rain, overflow in Brisbane...are you okay? You are still folding and thinking, in a thankfully way, yes? All the best and dry feet for you in 2011...
Ariane.
Happy New Year MMMC. You're one of a kind! xx
ReplyDeleteThat massive pile of laundry looks veeeeerrrry familiar!
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing yourself, your family, and your humor with the world. You have a great troupe of kids there and I love seeing their ever smiling and mischievous expressions.
This place has become a favorite for me...I think I have told you that already...
Here's to another beautiful year with our happy kids.
It is nice to be reminded of all the thoughtful people in the world.
ReplyDeleteAnd also nice to find lots of clean undies!