Thursday, December 2, 2010

On the cards

Does anyone else send Christmas cards? Or is it just me and a couple of other old biddies?


I send them to my Uncle and Aunt, an old friend of my mother's, my old housekeeper, our old babysitter, my previous boss, my siblings, I even send them to my friends who live in Brisbane.

It's habit really. We don't get many back ... Maybe I should take that as a hint.

And does anyone write 'Thank you Notes' anymore? I always have the best intentions, so if I don't get around to a card I'll do an email 'thank you', but I can't tell you how many birthday parties my children go to, and not one 'thanks for bothering to show up and give me a present' ... I think it's shocking ... Maybe I should take that as a hint, too.

We used to send 'thank you cards' to the party-holder for inviting us to the party ... but I couldn't be bothered to do that any more. I don't think people care.

Maybe I have too much time on my hands. Maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree ... throwing stones in glass houses ... counting my chickens before they've hatched.

Don't forget the Delft ... I'll draw it soon.

22 comments:

  1. I send cards at Christmas. I have noticed I am getting fewer in return. I like the idea of thank you notes too but must admit I hardly ever remember.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to admit to being completely useless at sending cards but I do think it is a wonderful thing. I love the idea of sending a thank you for anything really...maybe I should get my act together?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The height of impropriety!!

    Does my son handing out cards to school friends count?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Manners, like customer service, and the act of physcial writing are a dying art. I send cards, but then there is some evidence stacking up I'm becoming an old biddie. I recently wrote (okay emailed) the local highschool about the litter their students have been dropping; but no response!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jo,
    glad to hear your Christmas cards are dwindling, too.

    Sarah B,
    sometimes it's hard to remember ... and then when you do, it's too late ...

    Zigsma,
    actually I don't think I sent you a card for the do-bee bowl. Does your son hand out business cards? Or your credit cards?

    R&S, you make me laugh! I emailed the Principal once about the father I saw driving his son home on a Friday afternoon. When I saw the father pull-up at the traffic lights, I saw him have a swig of his stubbie of beer! I thought the Principal would have been as shocked as I was ... not really. I think litter-dropping should be an arrestable offence.

    Biddies unite in outrage!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to say I'm a horrid person brace yourself I never sent out thank you notes for my wedding I blame it on getting pregnant the first month, I don't know if people bought it or not but what are you going to do, I tell you I sat down many a day trying to write them and I got nothing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Heidi,
    I can't remember sending thank you cards either! That's shocking of me, all things considered!

    I was pregnant too. I vaguely remember having a whole lot of cards and photos and addresses lying on the dining room table, and having cards and photos and addresses lying on the dining room table months later ... and then it gets a case of 'too late'. Oh well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My husband is the card sender. He signs my name so I am off the hook. Postage is so high now you have to decide if you want to put food on the Christmas table or send Christmas cards. I'll take the turkey...but if I give you my address will you put me on your card list??

    ReplyDelete
  9. MCM,
    email me your address to:

    makeminemidcentury@gmail.com and I'd love to send you a card!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A biddie I am then, although I sent none last year. With a move into our house 3 days before Xmas, it was all too much. Today I wrote some thankyou cards for Miss Flea's birthday party. All the kiddies had their faces painted & I took photos of them each for the specific reason of writing a thankyou on the back of the photo. Now that's effort ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Footy cards!
    N.B.* No, you're right, I didn't send a card with the do-bee bowl, but a hand written note on notepaper originally belonging to a QC of note. Note to self: card next time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Zigsma,
    For you, I want Christmas to go out on a high note, so I'm sending you a card, you card.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well, I'm a big Christmas card sender but I don't get that many in return so the list gets smaller every year. And I only ever do thank you notes for the big things, like births, deaths, and marriages. Or some other extraordinary event. Never for a kid's birthday party. Thanks for entering my giveaway too. xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Brismod,
    I'm sending you a card too. Dammit. This is getting out of control.

    And what do you write in your death notes?

    "Dear whomever,
    thank you for dying.
    Much love, Brismod"

    ReplyDelete
  15. Do you think we could do a death request card with Brismod?

    Hey x would you please do us all the favour of packing up your toys and shuttling off the mortal coil? Then we could do the Dear whoever response you have.

    Here in the UK the kids in school are pressured into giving out card to everyone in their class etc and we get cards from our neighbours who dont even know our names. There are some who card the whole street. Us we are slackers as I tend only to do one pack of cards.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Kotaatok,
    do you hold poker nights armed with your one pack of cards?

    PS Death requests, Kotaatok ...

    ReplyDelete
  17. I send cards, I think I may do it really because I like buying cards and one follows the other if you know what I mean. Anyway I still think there is something special about mail. In our rush rush world it means someone has taken the time to think of you and do something they think will make you happy...and it does.cheers Katherine

    ReplyDelete
  18. I used to do cards every year when the kids were little (er). We would do handprints as Christmas trees and Indian block Christmas birdies and glue on button eyes and baubles. One year they all dressed up as a Nativity scene with Barry, the anatomically correct male doll, as Jesus and Mike, the mongrel dog, in reindeer ears. Weren't there reindeer in Bethlehem? Such a girly swat. Now I am just too busy to make them and too fussy to not send home made ones!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I don't usually send cards even though I have the best intentions. Hubby loves to send cards so sometimes they go out, usually in time for a Happy New Year instead of Merry Christmas. Does that make him an old biddy?

    p.s. I have a card for you but haven't sent it. See? Best intentions.

    ReplyDelete
  20. For the death request I was thinking of that annoying PTA mother who is just so overcapable that she makes you feel like a complete failure as a parent cause you can not do x or y and the rest of the alphabet things along with having a clean house, perfectly turned out children, study and work. YKWIM?

    ReplyDelete
  21. I do wish I was a biddy, young or old :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I LOVE sending Christmas cards!! In fact, they are going out next week :)

    ReplyDelete