Saturday, December 4, 2010

Unintended consequences

When I started this blog, I definitely didn't think through its consequences. I just jumped right in and started typing and adding photos and saying silly things ...

Never once did I think I'd make any kind of meaningful connection with people.

To be honest, I actually didn't like 'blogging' after I started. I felt like a superficial fraud commenting on strangers' blogs. I felt blogs were all a bit 'cliquey' or 'crafty' or narcissistic. I was going to give it up, but I kept going because I made myself laugh.

Never once did I think people would come across my blog, and read it, and then comment on it ... but somehow they found it. They commented, and then I commented back, and so on. And I particularly remember a Norwegian woman, coming out of the Aurora, saying how I amused her melancholy-self.

And, then this arrived yesterday. 


Thank goodness, really. Because its Aurorial sender was very concerned about it! She told me her 'tracking' advice informed her it'd 'fallen off the back of a truck' and she imagined all sorts of unauthorised marsupials jumping all over it, and perusing its contents with their little pesky-paws and pecky-beaks and floppy-flippers.

So I was excited, and relieved, to have it here. I informed my 'Four' that it came from 'Lilli in Norway'. And 1/4 exclaimed, "The one with the baby who looks like Martha?" and another 1/4 responded with, "The one with the naked doll?"

"Yes," I said. To both.

So we all looked at the very large box, and I emailed Lilli and told her it'd arrived, and informed her it didn't look like it'd been tampered with by wallabies or emus or walruses, and asked what she wanted me to do with it.

I carried it upstairs ... and pondered its size and thought this is 'way-too-big-a-box for someone, from a tiny town in Norway, to be sending to someone in Australia they really didn't know'. And then I thought of Deb in Canada, who did precisely the same thing. And I shook my head.


So I grabbed a Stanley knife and surgically opened the brown paper and hoped, in doing so, we wouldn't ruin the surprise without getting the go-ahead from its donor.


We all pulled everything out. It was all beautifully wrapped and secured and padded. 


The brown box was the most exciting ...


and then Child One remembered someone had given her a Whoopee cushion to celebrate the last day of school. Sorry to steal the limelight Lilli, but it was a WHOOPEE CUSHION!


And the presents then sat enticingly on the table. So while everyone else was making fart noises and laughing like galoots, I smelt the presents! They smelt like Norway. Smokey. Like a warming fire. I guess they smelt like Norway because that's where they'd come from.


I would have been happy just with the card. It's beautiful. Handmade and its illustration is a remarkable representation of our house - there's Child Two and Child Three fighting, and Martha's pulling the pet's fur and Child One is angsting-on, and someone's spilt a liquid, and I'm in the liquor cabinet and the husband's in the corner playing with the Whoopee cushion!

It's a magical, smokey-smelling card. And it explains the presents ...  so I really didn't have to open them. I was told each one represents a different Scandinavian country.


There's a beautiful dress from Denmark; an illustrated book from Sweden; a Swedish toy; some modern Norwegian porcelain ...


Maternally, I decided I wouldn't open them until Christmas and, though I was dying to open them immediately, I thought I'd savour their wrapped specialness until Christmas day.

But the word from Norway was 'Go! Go! Go! Open them now!'

So we did ...


Delightful Brio pull-along Noodle who, unlike the real Noodle, doesn't wee on the Christmas Tree (not the Danish one!)


Precious Swedish book (written in Norwegian which is okay because we're Scandinavian bi-lingual now) and plate ...






Traditional, charming, scrumptious Norwegian chocolate which will definitely wait 'til Christmas.



Exquisite Norwegian porcelain which I'm afraid is going to be the impetus of some sort of personal obsession.

I didn't photograph the Danish dress because I did it no justice.

I've never had a gift from Norway; quite possibly because I've never known anyone from Norway. Now, I do. Somehow we've had an effect on a little family in Norway who is kind enough to go to the trouble, and expense, of posting a package to a very ordinary, noisy family in Australia.

I never started this blog to get presents from people.

We have all we need.

I never started the blog to gain friends in Norway or Canada or America or England or Melbourne, or find people I connect with and suddenly see into parts of their lives and then have them share aspects of ours.

That was never my intention.

I never contemplated that ever happening in my life. But I'm thankful for the unintended consequences because they've turned out to be the best.

29 comments:

  1. That is just pure kindness, isn't it? What lovely friends you have made. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful gift and that card is spot on!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brismod,
    the sender is one of a kind. I am lucky she's found us, because her blog is something special.

    Nessaknits,
    the card is hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. how very very wonderful!! such beautiful stuff and so very well thought out. lucky you making such a lovely friend :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's like virtual penpals! Back in the day you'd write to each other and exchange information on your personal life whilst learning about each others countries in a personable way. What a great friend you have in Lilli. This tale has warmed the cockles of my heart immensely! (Biddie comments but they're sincere).
    The whoopee cushion is funny, and that card more so!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heartbeat skipping goodness. MMMC it's because you're ace and we love reading your blog.
    It seems distance is no longer part of the equation when forming friendships and that is just really cool.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely package. You are a good pal and deserve every bit.
    Love the whoopee cushion!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yipeeee! im just as excited as you...laughing as usual (goota love fart noises!) oohing and ahhing at your treasures..the children's expressions are priceless. What a wonderful soul Miss Lilli is!
    I too am suprised and bound to you both :)
    xo milady

    ReplyDelete
  9. ditto ON it ALL!
    what amazing treasures coveting from way up here!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Look at you all 'down there'; it's hard not love you. For all the joy you have brought me, you deserve a much larger box. Every week. Now, I have to cry, happytears xox

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a wonderful post! Blogland is the most amazing, beautiful place!

    ReplyDelete
  12. it's kind of remarkable, this blogging thing, isn't it? and kind of unremarkable at the same time - of course, if you meet someone who just clicks, who makes you laugh and smile almost everyday, of course you'll want to be friends...

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am finding blogging a very interesting, engaging experience. It's such an odd mix of the private and the public. I really like the sense of contact with all sorts of different people all over the place.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lilli is made of Goodness.
    Norway is as well.
    Having been there, I can recall its beauty of landscape and of people.
    How wonderfully generous in love and in giving which is the real spirit of Christmas.
    May you and your family be blessed this Christmas, Lilli.
    It's such a true pleasure "knowing" you from reading you sensitive comments and sharing your big hearted love with a family so far away.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh Lilli , how sweet are you! I am loving your presents and that you remind me of the the true meaning of giving. Not because you feel you have to , but because you want to!
    MMMC, you are classic and your 4 adorable.
    M x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow how exciting and how generous and kind. I agree about the blogging. I started just to share my finds and the love I have for what I do, like you I never thought it would mean I would make so many friends. People who I love visiting in blog world and dreAm of visiting in person. Hope you have a lovely Sunday I am a bit over all this rain. Cheers katherine

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow - just gorgeous! No surprise really, though - I love reading your blog and emails - you make me laugh. And make me feel I'm funny too!

    I like the Three Billy Goats Gruff chocolate. I guard my chocolate stash in a similar fashion to that troll...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Just found your blog!! And what a great surprise package!

    ReplyDelete
  19. How cool is all this, my lucky parents have been to Norway a few times, they love it!! Love Posie

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ah, this post was all about Lilli and her little family. I've been 'introduced' to each one of them and they're all very lovable and, as I've said to Lilli, none of them have been whacked with the ugly stick.

    But, it was also a post about the fact that this blog, and everyone's blog (or reading of same), has introduced us to people who we'd never normally meet and as a result our lives are a bit richer. Like Norwegian chocolate. Corny as it is to say.

    To finish, Lilli will be rue the day when she opens her front door and sees the entire MMMC family grinning at her with bags packed! (My bag will be empty because I plan on some big-time buying-up of Scandinavian design.)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi MMMC I'm your newest follower via Sonia. What a heartwarming post. Blogland is such a cherished spot, a secret, even. Lilli sounds just delightful. I'm off to check out her blog now - thanks for the heads-up ☺. J x

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh, I love the Elsa Beskow books! And I love Lilli, too! Last night I was having a similar conversation with my husband about blogging and the unexpected friends I have made. It's a beautiful thing, really. And wow, what an exciting package you received. It looks like half the fun was opening it all. Your blog is one of my favorites, you make me laugh with every post. It's a great place to visit. Love.

    ReplyDelete
  23. what lovely gifts! it truly is amazing this blogworld is especially finding real/funny/amazing bloggy friends like you!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Whoa. Seriously cool package. I'd send you one, too, but you seem averse to sharing your address with me. Do you think I really have the time or energy available to stalk you? Really?

    ReplyDelete
  25. Amazing.... makes me miss her more.....

    ReplyDelete
  26. What an uplifting post. I really enjoy reading you, I feel as if I've just nipped round for a cup of coffee and a chat when I pop in.
    Your presents are lovely and I'm sure you were all thrilled to bits with them.
    It's great when you connect with people from all over the world, I love having friends, like-minded blogging pals, with whom I can share my finds, snippets of our daily life and occasional grumble!

    ReplyDelete