Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Pass me a tissue ...

Occasionally, I'll have a cry ... mainly if I can't afford a stunning piece of Danish furniture, or I see Kevin Rudd on television or hear him on the radio ... I was hoping he'd disappear ...

But I really break down in sobs, often caught unawares in public, if the following things raise their weepy heads, especially around Christmas ...


1. Hearing Oscar Wilde's The Selfish Giant

 

 2. Reading Oscar Wilde's The Happy Prince



3. Hearing Away in a Manger being sung by Anne Shelton on this CD ...


 4. Hearing The Small One being read by Bing Crosby on the radio.



Stop laughing Frank, I'm having a moment here.

And then when someone gives me a hand-crocheted garland ... I get teary when that happens too ... but I'll tell you about that soonish.

27 comments:

  1. I run for the klennex if I pass by a group of Christmas Carollers. Get's me every time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some Australians makes me all teary-eyed... and Swedish Jussi Björling singing 'O Helga Natt'. And when I've been working too late, like now, and the screen starts to get at me... good night :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Or if you've had a wee glass of sherry?

    (And you're coming over all political?!?!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Knicky-Knacks,
    yes, carolers. But if they were to come to the door, I'd probably slam it!

    Lilli,
    O Holy Night! The husband's favourite! He sings it all year long! Am just listening to Jussi's version now! Beautiful.

    Zigsma,
    I always get political when the President of the United States touches down in her private jet in Cairns!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You big softy...For me it's the Prep to Year 2 Christmas elfkins in their reindeer antlers and wonky rolled up shepherd towels singing "Away in the Manger". There is always some oblivious child doing something untoward (read nose picking, non-rythmic dancing, over singing, bossing other kids around during the carol). I have no control...first comes the laughter and then the nanna tears and foggy glasses.) I love it.
    Great stories...Selfish Giant is one of my all time favourites.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel so bad. I've not seen/heard any of these things except for the duo at the end. Now, Boney M singing Mary's boy child gets me gnashing my teeth.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have moments when I see certain commercials & cheesy holiday movies. Are all of those records yours? We have some old Christmas records from when I was little. I our record player has seen better days, but it is fun to have a listen with the kiddo. :) I'll grab a kleenex for you...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Doesn't look like KRudd is going everywhere. The only question I have is how can he not be a lawyer with all his ALLEGED control freakery and micromanagement.

    I love Bing too. Although apparently he was mean to his family. Which is a bit off putting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The only thing which makes me cry, without fail, is that picture book called "Love you forever" by Robert Munsch. And I cannot read it without being a blubbering mess and the kids looking at me like I'm a completer psycho.

    I never knew Bing could have that effect...you sentimental thing you! xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Annie,
    those Christmas concerts are tear-jerkers especially when your child is the nose-picker and everyone looks in your direction when the picking starts.

    Deb, read the Oscar Wilde pronto.

    KLT,
    I have the Christmas with the Stars cd; we used to have the Bing and Orson Welles when we were little; I just came across the other photo.

    Jane,
    just Wikileaked 'Bing' - seems he was a cold fish towards the kids.

    Brismod, also Wikileaked 'Love you Forever' ... reminds me a bit of 'The Giving Tree' by Shel Silverstein. Read that? It'll have the same effect on you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The little drummer boy kills me every time, I find myself possessed by the urge to play air drums and sing my heart out like I'm tina Arena at the Myer Music bowl and Ray Martin has just given me my walk on.....
    perrrrrrromperpompom!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm halfway between laughing and crying.

    Check out Mahalia Jackson, she did some incredible Christmas albums

    ReplyDelete
  13. Bloody hell I've been professing my crochet love for some time, but no garland in sight, crochet or not?! I am so on the out with Christmas, I must get my hands on some Bing Crosby it seems. I'll probably well up at the Kindy concert tomorrow. Having procrastinated I need buy gifts online for the interstate family. Procrastinating again by perusing blogs.. it's perpetual procrastinating...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Estelle,
    I'd love to see you in a little crocheted-something belting out 'Little Drummer Boy'. Bet you pickup a corker of a drum on the footpath at some point soon!

    Helen,
    I thought, 'here's a Jackson I haven't heard of! Shameless how they're milking Michael's death!' How wrong was I!

    Ms Jackson is wonderful ... heard her via Youtube do 'O Holy Night' and 'Silent Night'. Gorgeous. Good tip-off.

    R&S,
    you know, the best crocheted garland will be one you make yourself. And yes, Christmas is a matter of days away. Have fun at the Kindy concert tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ah, just rememberihg the Oscar Wilde stories is causing some eye welling... I'm about to visit my parents so will have to find a private moment to read those stories again...

    ReplyDelete
  16. A great post. I have to admit I just love watching the carols in tv as I can never get anyone to go to the actual Carols near home with me (and we have 3 local ones).
    I'm going to be mega tragic and confess to considering the purchase of the Glee Christmas CD. OMG.

    ReplyDelete
  17. And so this is Christmas by John Lennon and I'm gone...

    ReplyDelete
  18. I cried taking the 3 year olds to Dorothy the Dinosaurs Rockin' Christmas Concert on Monday. All those lovely, fresh, perfect skinned little ones, smiling and glowing. It wasn't Dorothy's best work, but the kids and Christmas combo is lethal.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I cry like I have been punched at Christmas Carroll the Disney version. Little Timmy makes me cry. Hard. Every time.

    And Louise Arnstrong "what a wonderful world" could make me cry even if it was august and I was on a tropical beach next to Brad Pitt and had millions int the bank.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I get teary too about things like that. Christmas carols, movies (The Young Victoria) and even kindergarten interviews (as my young ones are growing up).

    ReplyDelete
  21. A hand-crocheted garland would definitely make me cry.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I just realized everyone was saying what their fav Christmas songs were. I just want to set things straight by saying I detest Boney M. I don't want to be judged wrongly, lawyery type person.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I was distracted by the crying and for got to mention my absolute favourite, Odetta's 'Shout for Joy'. It's up there with 'Away in a Manger sung by little kids'.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Memories kicking in here .
    Mine were the only ones amongst the happy singing/dancing Kindy throng who were crying.
    The Kindergarten principle said to me - "What funny little children you have."
    I wanted to slap her hard.
    Many years later, when Kindy days were a distant painful memory ,I found myself standing near this women in an optometrist.
    She was giving me a furtive sideways look.
    I felt like saying- "What do you think of my highly achieving funny little children now, you old bat?"
    But, ever the lady, I held my peace , looking through her as a mere shadow in the game of Reality.
    As for weeping, try to listen to a male Welsh choir singing "All through the Night" in Welsh.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hand-crocheted garland?! Want to hear about that!

    ReplyDelete
  26. DMC - 'looking through her as a mere shadow in the game of Reality'. I'm speechless. Well, I'm not. That is A GEM!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. DMC, I hear you! One year we drove all the way back from the coast in the rain for the KIndy concert. Twin 1 cried and sang through the whole thing while Twin 2 sang with his comforting arm around the other. They both sang joyously all the way back to the coast and it is one of my favourite Christmas memories. It still makes me smile!

    ReplyDelete