Saturday, January 15, 2011

Doing what I do best

The other morning, while watching the flood coverage, I heard one TV commentator say, "I'm seeing so many Australians doing what Australians do best; and that's being Australian".

So, based on that jingoistic and ridiculous encouragement, I'm going to do what I do best, and that's talking about nothing.


This was my lunch ... it demonstrates that we can get food from the local supermarket. The lettuce was a few days old, and on its last leafy legs, but we're talking tomatoes, eggs and bacon.


I thought I'd show you some of the good books we've gotten lately. Martha's Godmother does a sterling job finding her picture books which feature a 'Martha' of one kind or another. This book details the adventures of Lionel the cat and what he gets up to while his owner, Martha, is at school.


So Martha's hardly in the picture at all ... it's all about Lionel, the amusing Renaissance cat.


We gave these two books to Child 2 for his birthday. They're wonderful, and I guess a lot of you Readers have them, or one in the series, already.

I said to Child One, "Mummy's been to Paris and New York, you know." And she said, in monotone, "Fabulous, do tell us all about it one day." I said, " .... Okay."



Mental Note: I might just let them read the books. Some of the facts have been updated. It's not they would be uninterested in my travelling yarns.



The boys loved them.


And then yesterday, the first of the series of Moomin comics came. I ordered them from The Book Depository

This one cost about $20AUD with no postage! It's a beautiful hardcover book with cloth binding.

From memory there are four books in the comic series. We'll have this one forever (unless it gets washed away in a flood. But fingers crossed that won't happen).


I've already read it. Child One is in the middle of reading it, and then the Husband has put his hand up to be next in line ... that covers everyone in the house who can read.


All the comics are black-and-white, if there is going to be a negative.


Moomin and the Comet is a very timely story ... all about the Moomins dealing with the imminent destructive threat of a comet and tidal wave.


The Moomins enjoy the odd tipple, which is interesting.


I like the character 'Little My' ... she has a constant frown which I can understand, and her opinions on possession are ones which I should adopt. Maybe.

12 comments:

  1. that looks like a very tasty pie. Cudos on the hunter/gathering skills, I'm glad you've been able to keep yourselves fed.

    ps, Gerry Harvey want's to know if you paid gst on that book?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your humor, as always :) Keep doing what you're doing ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohh I need you. Your talking about nothing becomes my need, because:
    1) you just told me there is a moomins' book, and i didn't know about it.

    2) The Book Depository. Free worlwide shipping. Let me say this again, free worlwide shipping. And I didn 't know about this too.

    I must be very slow, or you are incredibly smart, or both.
    Now please excuse me, I'm going to order tons of book with no dellivery fees (ohhh, better than chocolate!!)

    Hairybutwaxedlegs.

    p.s.
    I'm so happy you can get food. I mean, really, as long as there is food, things can get normal again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your lunch looks delightful to me. We all need a little bacon in our lives. The books look wonderful, could I be a god child along with Martha?
    Child 1 sounds a treat, wait until she hits twelve! The New York book is calling me. I've never heard of the Moomins so you see your blog is very educational!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Deb expresses her wisdom re a significant turn in parental woes when Child 1 starts saying "Whatever!", starting from the age of 12-13.
    Make the most of the monotones.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Estelle,
    I'd like to slap Gerry Harvey with some GST.

    Laura,
    See, I don't think any of the above is funny!

    Bobbi,
    this is the year where I'm not spending money, so maybe you can do it all for me.

    Deb, I'm also familiar with the 'eye roll' ... I'm taking that as a sign of endearment. You should get that New York book ... it's very dry.

    DMC, I can tell all your daughters were delightful in adolescence.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for doing what you do best. I don't care if I'm a sheep, I'm getting some Moomin in this house too!
    My Mum's philosophy is you can never spend too much on good books, food and experiences. Good teacher that she is.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm just looking over at your sidebar. Can I be entitled "Canadians who annoy me. a whole lot"?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those books look wonderful - I'm not familiar with them at all. God only know what else I have no idea about, many many things...
    Have just caught up on your news and heck, that is one MASSIVE slug!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. don't you love it when your children could care less that you've actually had a life before them?
    And yet, my children's favorite bedtimes stories are straight from my own adventures in the world. edited of course!
    The Moomins...they call these "graphic Novels" which works for my non enthusiastic reader. Must get one too!
    Stay dry my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. glad you're doing what you do best...
    I love the whole free postage on online books thing - ha! to Gerry Harvey...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I also like the odd tipple. Must look into these Moomins of yours!

    ReplyDelete