Monday, January 24, 2011

Tools

One of the children received this book for Christmas ...


The plot's thin, but the graphics are clean and minimalist.

 

Basically, we have illustrations of various tools ...



 ... and following those tools is an image of the profession, or job, which uses them.


It made me think of what tools I use a lot which define my role as 'mother' ...

I chose the first five that came to my head ...


Washing machine. If I was to have another child, it'd be this washing machine. It's hardworking, loyal and strong ... and Swedish!


Thermometer. One of my children is ill ... I am constantly applying this thermometer to his head or sticking it in his ear ... I'm glad it's not the dog that's sick ...


Measuring spoons ... I need another set of these. I use them all the time. My mind goes into meltdown when I see Jamie Oliver just tossing in what he thinks (actually he'd know, that's why he's a celebrity and I'm not) is a teaspoon of cumin or a tablespoon of mixed herbs. 

Spoon, Jamie! Spoon!


Quick-unpick ... again I don't have enough of these. It's very satisfying ripping seams, or ripping buttons off old shirts ... you can imagine.


Measuring cups. Because a child is sick, I'm using lots of these measuring cups to administer medicine to him ... Jamie Oliver would just guess the mls required if Daisy Boo was ill, and then probably drip-feed the medicine from the bottle like he applies salad dressing to a salad.


Car keys! I can't blow this popsicle stand without them!

11 comments:

  1. I'd be with you on most of those but would have to include the kettle (which fruitlessly boils several times a day), the dishwasher (once reviled but now befriended ) and the phone (which I hold no affection for but which seems to be the tardis around which our lives whirl.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting list; looks like you like measuring things.

    I LOVE my washing machine. One glance at the river is enough to remind me on why. When it comes to measuring things, I use my hands - fever or cumin. I can hardly imagine what damage I could do around the house with the Quick-unpick. The only thing I drive is the vacuum cleaner, which I couldn't live without.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your list. And Annie's. Your Quick Unpick is a seam ripper over here.

    yours in cultural diversity,

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always say lets blow this popsicle stand. too funny.....I'm off to email you! so check

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought you were heading down a completely different path when I read tools.
    Mine is the cutting board, knife, bowls, fridge and sander. Of course you have a Swedish machine. I think you are fast on the way to receiving the keys to Stockholm. Hope sick child recovers soon. I didn't realise how many bottles of panadol children could go through? Crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful illustrations. Very nice front loader. Ours is so loud when it agitates, it agitates the neighbors. Your thermometer is so very mod.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Accuracy seems to be a priority to you, maybe you should be studying science not law......
    This post made me giggle...thanks

    ReplyDelete
  8. PS you are going to be a great quilter (ie because you are so 'accurate')

    ReplyDelete
  9. vacuum, washing machine, Dryer, tv and the kettle......how depressing.

    This list would've looked very different in the time before captive breeding.

    More like

    Champagne, bottle opener, hairdryer, truffle grater and Panadol.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't seen mention of toilet brush.
    Sorry to drag your blog to this level, but my day revolves around the garbage bin and the tb.
    Speaks volumes about my fun-filled days.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the graphics in that book - you're right they are clean and minimalistic. Just perfect! :)

    I very much enjoyed your insight into your tools ... and haha, you really made me laugh with your Jamie references ... he just thinks he's so clever with his pinches and dashes! ;)

    ReplyDelete