Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Moomin Dreamin'

 Miss Lilli recently steered me, like a stunned elk, into the blinding path of Tove Jansson's Moomins.

  

Now I'm seeing this little Mid-Century Finnish troll family and their friends everywhere ... seems like they're THE next big thing.

Well, for discerning, intelligent children, anyway.

So then I did something I promised myself I wouldn't do this year, and I spent money on the Internet.

I cracked after three days.


Buying Moomin books ... I got all teary just reading the blurb for "Who will comfort Toffle" on the Indian equivalent of Amazon (after being a featured reviewer on that site, it's now my first stop for book reviews).

Poor little Toffle is so shy, everyone misunderstands him.

I'm told that the Moomins have complicated personalities which makes for endearing and contemplative reading for children and adults.




Check out this link. I think some of you have seen it already.
 


These from here.

And the Moomin love continues here ... mentioning The Moomin Valley of Finland's Tampere Art Museum.



And then there's Moominworld ... the website for which features a 'nice song' according to Child 3. Catchy.

And the Moomin Shop ... doesn't end really. I can't find their little house toy anymore, unfortunately.

I'm ready to pack my Moomin bag and join them in Finland.




I'm coomin' Moomins!

17 comments:

  1. They are so sweet! I think I need a little tyke, I'm so out of the loop on this kind of thing. What are you talking about re reviews on Amazon? Are you now a book critic???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deb,
    Just think how prepared you'll be when those grandchildren start coming along! An inadvertent book critic ... search engines were trawling and picking all sorts of things up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh please. You see?? Even scandinavian cartoons have THAT feeling. Let's all pack our stuff and move there forever.

    I really want to be on the "Italians that moved to scandinavia list".

    I really like this private thing. I don't care if the feed is missing and I have to do things manually.

    Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no - too cute. What style, it is all just lovely and cool!! I haven't done very well on my ban on non-essential purchases for 2011, so what the heck .....where's my credit card?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bobbi,
    yes, that music with the cartoon is mesmerising ... the pan-pipe things. And the accents! I've watched it about 12 times!

    Jo,
    you'll have to tell me if you buy anything! If we ever meet in person we can premptively say, "You'll recognise me at the bar because I'll be the pensive lady with the Moomin handbag."

    ReplyDelete
  6. I must say I have a penchant for characters missing facial features. Jemima and Tomtes are good examples. I spent $750 on ceiling fans today if it makes you feel any better. A Moomin book is a much nicer purchase. Congrats on the Bolly-azon feature!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Moomin momentum you're creating here MMMC. They are incredibly adorable. My boys would be asking for those crocheted Moomins, if I showed them...seriously.
    I checked out the local library and they have a copy, so I'm heading there tomorrow.xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. ah, they are adorable the moomins! your post makes me want to re-read them, its been a long time since last....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aren't they gorgeous those moomins? Did you know Lark Handmade sold some moomin items here in Oz?

    Always money well spent on books I say, especially when Mum loves them!

    Pam x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Theres some wonderful stories in those books. I expect to spend a lot of time reading them in the years to come. Right now we are reading Tinys favorite "Mummitrollet" and the little dragon. Over and over and over again :) yes, Mummitrollet is what Moomin is called in Norway... L. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have lived a sadly moomin-less life until meeting you... thank you for steering me in the right direction!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well, THE Mummitrollet is the "kid" of the moomins. I don´t really know what I´m talking about here, cause I don´t really know what the main-character is called in english... Sorry for making an already happy situation confusing...

    We are reading Mummitrollet though :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. After serious thought, I think you should call Child 5 "Toffle".

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love these! The little stuffed one is so cute. I will keep these in mind for friends with little ones :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Child 5? There's a Child 5? Without a name? I agree with DMC; 'Toffle' will have to do!

    We're a Moomin-family; everyone has found a character they resemble... I'm of course the mother (big surprise!)
    Hope, and I am sure, they will bring you lots of joy, and an occational cry.

    ReplyDelete
  16. oh now that is a handbag I could yearn for. Give me that over a Hermes anyday!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yay! I missed this post earlier (I keep forgetting your not in my feed anymore). I love all of this. Thanks for getting me started on Moomin madness. I too am oogling those books. :)

    ReplyDelete