Monday, January 10, 2011

Enough!

There's Fallingwater and then there's falling water.


I like the first; I'm sick of the second.


We've had enough! The algae-coloured fences are getting more algae-coloured.

The rain doesn't seem to abate ... it stops for a bit, and just when you've donned the bikini and you're lathered in Zinc, it starts raining again.


Our next major investment will be sand bags.


There's mould everywhere. And broken toys ... Though I can't blame the rain for that.



It's muggy and musty and stultifying.



The floors are clammy and slippery.


And it looks like it's getting worse.


20 comments:

  1. Has the gang violence of Mexico now spread to your house, with decapitations? They are dangerous times we live in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That last photograph is priceless.
    Yep, the wet weather really shows up where grubby little hands have been at our place...poor white walls. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just noticed even your ficus is flooded!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hope you stay safe and (relatively) dry xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chris, who decapitates a Playmobil child? Maniacs.

    Birsmod, ficus is cactus.

    Catherine, this is when I thank my lucky stars I never bought a million-dollar property on the River!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Martha's so SENSible. Always prepared. I like to see that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad Dad is back too, for sanity's sake (yours, not his).
    I can smell the rain and damp and mould just looking at those photos. Child 4 looks well prepared.
    Just read about the poor people in Toowoomba and surrounds who experienced flash flooding. And that Brisbane could still flood with all of the water running into Wivenhoe.
    At least you are on a hill.
    Perhaps you need to add doves to the list, might be needing them soon....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Zigsma,
    swimming goggles are so now. I just read Melbourne is in for a bucketing so pull on some Zoggs.

    Naomi,
    I'm hoping when the dove flies back it's carrying a birch branch and then I'll know we've floated somewhere in the vicinity of Sweden.

    ReplyDelete
  9. German vase German vase my brain can,t focus on what you are writing all I can see is bottom of German vase.....yes I am obsessed with German vases..ha. That last pic is fantastic! Rain rain go away...I heard today it will be gone by April ......yes APRIL! Aargh

    ReplyDelete
  10. We had to sandbag our cottage one year. Went out for a trip to the local garden centre when it was a bit wet and returned and hour later in torrential rain and a flash flood in the village. Fortunately our defences held, a lot of the people in the old part of the village weren't so lucky. Goodluck, purging your house of mould. I remember mum attacking Rosebank with gusto after every wet season.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Liquid Sugar soap repeat after me Liquid Sugar soap... It helps clean mouldy hand prints of living room walls as I know from living in the tropics. But I would wear gloves cause it will take your finger fraction ridges of your hands as sugar soap likes to remove dermis.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Holy Crappoly! I thought the rain here was annoying but our buddy in Toowoomba just sent me some new pictures from there which left my heart racing. God bless them all. Tomorrow I will not complain once!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I used to envy you with all the lovely weather. Maybe I'll keep with the snow. Martha is always so avant garde (sp). Glad there's someone there to show you the ropes. Do you want my kayak???

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dear MMMC,
    your daughter wears diving goggles...and your house isn't from LEGO. So have you got a monsoon season?
    Hope you're fine (and don't be headless like figurine). All the best for you and your family.
    Ariane.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Okay. Sit down. Close your eyes. Take a deep breath. Envision this : Steve mcQueen, alive, healthy and young.

    Isn't the sun shining now?

    (it's my new meditation method, I'm about to give classes if you are interested)

    If this makes you feel even better, it's raining in "sunny italy" too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I feel your pain. It's clear here for the moment and we've mopped up after the last rainy spell. We have sump pumps at the ready and wood stacked for the fire. Are your kids climbing the walls yet or does it even matter to them? Martha seems to be happy as a clam.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, Carmel, how vile for you! Sydney's humidity used to give me the heebies, let alone having to use DampRid in our wardrobes, get the mould dry-cleaned off them all the time and then even mopping the ceilings (!) for mould in a modern, new apartment! I can't imagine how irritating and downright depressing it must be for you. Drizzling in Hobart today - when will summer arrive?! J x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Carmel, I hope you are safe and far from the flooding, I've been looking at some disturbing images online, the group trapped in the school surrounded by water. I hope it eases up soon and that you get to see some proper summer too xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. I know what you mean with the floors. Mine have a layer of clammy ick all over them. Went and bought 2 Hippos today ... those containers you put in the cupboard to help with the moisture. Never used them before. Hope they work. Good idea with the goggles, Martha.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I can only imagine the stickiness over there - we had one very tropical day earlier in the week and it was awful - it's now NZ's turn for a bit of rain, I'm just hoping it subsides before tomorrow morning when I will be walking Mr4 to kindy! I've used one of those Hippo things before but in the spare room - I'm sure they would work better inside a cupboard though. I have my dehumidifier running because at 7am it already feels icky. Glad to see your blog back up and running for everyone - at least you know if it gets too much you can always go private again :)

    ReplyDelete