Monday, January 24, 2011

My new quilting career

Sometimes I can bite off a bit more than I can chew.

This is the start of my new quilting career ...


This parcel arrived today from Ms Clothwork ... she has been a bit of an inspiration really ... making the  most lovely quilts ...


Possibly making it look deceptively easy because before I knew it, I was thinking, 
'I can make a quilt!' ...


D'cha think I can, Japanese androgens?


And now, it looks like I'm gonna have to make a quilt ... they are the most beautiful 8x8 inch squares ... I was originally thinking I'd make a Queen Sized quilt for my bed ... but now I may just make a cot-sized one to start, mix them up with Moomin fabric, for Martha Mary ...


I'm glad these squares arrived today, because I was going to do a post on dysfunctional families, and about how I discovered that someone allegedly thinks I grew up in one ... 


so I cathartically took these pictures while I thought about all the other families I know ...


 ... and I realised - every single one of them is functioning nonfunctionally ...



or has at some point malfunctioned in some way.



So, if you know of a 'functional family', don't tell me, because I'd prefer to avoid them.


Look at the 'fros on this bunch.


I should lend them a 'dryer! 

Fin.

25 comments:

  1. Ms Clothwork is the best, her quilts are so freakin lovely I get quilt envy whenever I pop by. No wonder you feel inspired.

    Functional family, what is that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just too funny, Carmel! Ooh, I'm going to follow your quilting adventure with great interest as I want to learn how to do it, too. J x

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://oliveandesther.blogspot.com/January 24, 2011 at 3:01 AM

    Very exciting stuff MMMC!! Love the fabric, mint condition. It will look fabulous with the moomin fabric. Did Mamma Koala have to many gum leaves??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Often the best seeming families are on the verge of breaking up or are dominated by a very strong individual who overpowers the rest. I am very jealous of those beautiful fabrics. Retromummy has a link to a quilt as you go method. You could join squares in a strip then use them according to her method. Would be very easy to make a lovely cot quilt. Cherrie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha, I was just thinking I could make a quilt too - how about that? Great minds and all that. Pam x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Estelle,
    I knew you'd get the dysfunctional family bit ... why? I don't know.

    Jane,
    let me make the mistakes for you!

    O&E,
    the fabric is too unbelievable. The Koala mother, unfortunately, let events overtake her.

    WWT,
    I'll go look at Retro Mummy, because I'm flying by the seat of my pants.

    Pam,
    I'd love it if you did one too ... what about for our daughter's new room? I have no idea what I am doing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  8. God. I'm just looking at that wonderful stack of fabric and thinking that I, too, could have a quilting career. I need to start another list.
    I have made a total of ONE quilt and it was super easy - from the 'Bend the Rules Sewing' book. Just pieced strips and then sewn right through in unevenly spaced vertical stripes. That sounds wierd. But it looks good.
    Will send you a pic.
    It's going to be a great quilt.
    A

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad you like them ! Please dont feel obliged to make anything but i know you can sew and i think you will find it easy , just remember to use the ruler!

    I'd like to know what Mrs.K.B is cooking in that stockpot, must be good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  10. don't worry, no chance of finding a fully functional family over here either... very nice fabrics, so glad they're already cut too (I look at vintage fabric and freak out a bit, too scared to make the first cut...)

    ReplyDelete
  11. what a wonderful gift! i also want to try to make a quilt. you'll keep us updated right? and the forest family or how are they called?, i had a bunch of those as a little girl, they are so sweet...

    p.s we are all less or more dysfunctional. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooh, I love your fabrics, it's the sewing with them that I don't get.
    Love your illustrated musings! There are no "normal" families that I know of in Canada either.

    yours in cultural equality,

    ReplyDelete
  13. Carmen you are the best love the quilt start and then the little people made me laugh and laugh your too cute for words!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Maybe you could start off with a pot holder, or dolly blanket to get the hang of it. Great fabrics. Are all those bears and accessories actually in your home? I adore the car and the caravan. Carmel, you take the best pictures! In my next life I want to be one of your kids and have all those fabulous toys. And you should thank whoever told you that you were raised in a dysfunctional family. Everyone needs a good dose of dysfunction to give them a little grit.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good luck on that quilt :) Love your little families - I'm crazy about hedgehogs in caravans - who wouldn't be? XOL

    ReplyDelete
  16. I came over via kltworks and am glad I did. This was hilarious! Have fun with your quilt.. I love your perfectly dysfunctional animal family pics. hehe..

    ReplyDelete
  17. Dear "free" MMMC,
    love your new career...and: when do you eat and drink and ...sleep?
    Big hug,
    Ariane.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yes I agree..the functional and dysfunctional kind of cancel themselves out don't they.I mean anytime I witness a family that is seemingly functional I take it as a sign of them actually being highly dysfunctional. Made me think of the movie Little Miss Sunshine. I wish I could quilt. I am very jealous of anyone that does any kind of crafting etc. I can't seem to get my act together enough to vacuum the floor let alone bake or quilt...but see I always find time to winge ha.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Are those Japanese androgens your tutors, I wonder? Better not make any mistakes, they look a bit scary.

    I just changed my mind about those shorts. A quilt would be just as nice; I'll give you the measurments very soon.
    (Dysfunctional families are no good. Fin.)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hilarious! I liked Katherine's reference to Little Miss Sunshine, it pretty much sums up the typical family. Apparently I'm typical.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I prefer a functioning family to a functional family. If that makes sense?

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ct,
    Mama Koala hadn't eaten for a while and then went a bit overboard, under stress, on the fortified Eucalyptus.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh I just LOVE those little playsets...they are so cute. My teen daughter and I recently ogled at the choices at a toy store during the holidays. She didn't remember hers. (must not be related!) Should've bought some for myself since I truly do appreciate them.
    Seriously, where do you find the time! YOur pics of the toy adventures are so awesome.
    And...when are you submitting a drawing? HOME is the next theme. c'mon! STick drawings , who cares! it'll be fun!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm so glad you're "back". What would I do without some staged toy photos? Seriously! I LOVE them!!! We're loving Sylvanian Families in our house at the moment. Can't say I enjoy picking up all of their little bits & pieces but that car & caravan set is just the bees knees. It's Miss Flea's favourite toy.

    ReplyDelete