We did nothing for Australia Day but have an un-Australian whinge in the car about the prevalence of Australian flags on other cars.
There's a lot going on in the above photo - two utes and a total of three vehicles displaying a total of five Australian flags (they're the little things flapping from the sides of the cars. Photo issues).
I consulted my tome on Australian flags when I got home and it said nothing about the protocol of flying Australian flags from cars. It's obviously a new Australian phenomenon.
I consulted my tome on Australian flags when I got home and it said nothing about the protocol of flying Australian flags from cars. It's obviously a new Australian phenomenon.
We also whinged about the prevalence of towed water transport on Australia Day.
Here's another example of towed water transport which seemed to be ubiquitous on Australia Day.
More flags on cars ...
Watch that red car with two flags above ... something unexpected and disturbing happens to it.
There's Brisbane city in the distance. I was hoping it'd been wrapped in an Australian flag - Christo-style.
Ute sans flags.
I'm not even going to say that's un-Australian because that'd be stating the bleeding obvious.
I'm not even going to say that's un-Australian because that'd be stating the bleeding obvious.
City sans Christo-style flag. Un-fun. Un-Australian.
There's that red car I told you to watch ... Everything looking above-board so far.
Whoopsy! The flag on the red car's right fell off! Yes, dropped off. A flagfall. How un-Australian.
Solo flag ... where there was once duo flags.
Through those trees is the troublesome river which floods when we're all least expecting it to. Flooding is un-Australian, though becoming more typically Australian. It seems.
That's a big silver caravan thing which caused the Husband some excitement. It's in Rosalie, which two weeks ago was under water. I've never seen one of those before so, for me, a silver shiny caravan is un-Australian.
More Australian flags. Australian flags are so Australian.
You're hilarious! :)
ReplyDeleteWe see so very many Australian flags flying from vehicles near where I live. They even get the Australian flag bunting hung up on their verandahs, with another flag in the front yard. Overkill much? ;)
I'm sorry to be a stick in the mud but for some reason (sadly for my kids) I really don't like Australian flags, reindeers antlers or My family stickers on cars. They don't do it for me.
ReplyDeleteI hope you were wearing your Australian flag tatts on your cheek bones, MMMC and hubby was wielding a pair of tongs at the BBQ today. I dabbed some white zinc on my nose to celebrate Australia Day this year. xx
ReplyDeleteI think this is the first blog I've seen with so many highway shots (or is that motorway).
ReplyDeleteI had the Australian flag tattooed on my arms and walked around saying oi, oi, oi all day long. Bit of pav and a few meat pies. It was a beaut day mate!
I hear you. Those flags remind me of thos reindeer antlers on cars at Christmas - un- Australian or Australian?
ReplyDeleteGreat to see Rosalie back to business though. Pam x
Glad to see Rosalie looks like it is getting back on top of things. That caravan looks like an old Airstream or whatever they are called. But thinking of that shiney, silver exterior on a summers day, make me think of the glare, cataracts and crows feet from looking at it.
ReplyDeleteUn Australian of me.
Australia Day is becoming a Red Letter day for bevans (I think it's Australian to call them 'Bogans', now).
ReplyDeleteAnd Megan, as for the My Family stickers, I'm thinking of confusing the driving community and just buying a soccer ball and sticking that on the car ... that should keep people guessing.
Or maybe I'll cover the car in Hibiscus stickers, Australian flags, reindeer antlers and red nose, and My Family stickers ... with a personalised number plate!
I am being un-Australian today too. The freeway over this side of the country today looked exactly the same and OH and I had a good laugh at driving alongside a black ute with big dual flags flying and then one suddenly breaking off its dowel. Ahh dear. I wonder how many other cars have littered Australia with cheap $2 car flags. How Australian.
ReplyDeleteDear MMC,
ReplyDeletethank you for sight-seeing-tour, very informative! and thank God water is gone...
Is it your knee with those three trees?
And, honey, isn't it funny how human beeings, adults! playing with little, multicolor scrap of cloth? During the FIFA World Cup we have seen it in Germany too. I like it. Yes, a little bit of Christo: it's art!
waggly,
Ariane.
I noticed that very same weird flag on car phenomenon in my 'burb today too - and the neighbours across the road sat in the garage with the roller door up drinking beer all day. How very australian of them.
ReplyDeleteI do have an issue with all the "Made in China" Australia Day merchandise, so no, no flags on our car today. We did, however, have TWO men-circling-the-barbie occasions and I may have cooked two of the best pavs ever made. I'm just saying.
ReplyDeleteWe did not attend Julia Gillard's only official Aust Day event here at Picnic Point. The sentiment is nice, but I can't take the voice any more.
Thanks for all the highway pics. Did you just drive around all day?
You are totally confusing me. Happy unAustralia day!
ReplyDeleteWe don't do the flag thing on cars over here. Very unAustralian of us.
Yay; utes! Many of them. I have a special connection with Australian utes, you know.
ReplyDeleteIt looks hot, I'm suddenly glad it's -15 today. And that there are more trees than cars here. Hope you made it to somewhere.
You would want to see our National day; there are flags everywhere. But not Australian ones.
Love Lilli
Happy day this must be similar to our 4th of July day!!
ReplyDeleteI miss freeways we don't have any in Alaska.
how funny is that!
in these here parts "utes" are the native americans that once claimed this territory.
ReplyDeleteSay hello to the warm sunny sun for this frozen mountain mama!
Oh Megan...you are speaking my language! Don't get me on my rant about those family stickers. Apart from all the obvious reasons an added reason I hate them is they can have lizard pet stickers and snake pet stickers...but where are the wheelchair person stickers...What does that say about that company...I know wheel chair people are a very small percentage so why should they have stickers. Well if they can have bloody lizard and bloody snake stickers they should be able to have bloody wheelchairs stickers..I mean what percentage of people have lizard and snakes in their house hey...Ahhh finished now...I just threw in the bloodys so I sounded more Australian..I don't normally use that word because well I am obviously not very Australian ha.Oh and one day we can hope that we may have a flag that represents all Australians...now won't that be nice...or maybe it will be UnAustralian...hooroo mate Katherine
ReplyDeleteI'd like to have that shiny caravan, please, with or without an Australian flag. I learned an Australian slang term in honour of the holiday: dunny. Aren't I clever?
ReplyDeleteThere were no Australian flags here on cars. That is all just a bit Dukes of Hazard don't you think? We swam, bought food to feed the invited marauders and stayed home to avoid any Australian displays of rampant nationalism. At one point there was a pirate flag and a teepee-a multicultural Australian Day- also not so Australian.
ReplyDeleteToday my laundry is wrapped in a Christo-esque fashion with many wet towels. That is fairly Australian of late.
I wonder if the car-flag trend started in Mexico - it is HUGE there. They've been very car-flaggy since I can remember :)
ReplyDeleteAs I study for my UK driving license, I was wondering if you have UK-like driving signs or more like the US. You've confirmed my sneaky suspicion as more UK :)
I'm having a great old laugh here in Old Blighty and there's not a whinging Aussie in sight (my son will be home at 3.30)...great post! It's funny that car flag thing...I noticed them everywhere last year for the world cup...in fact I sent some to an English friend in QLD so he could put them on his car...bit tacky though! However, I am ashamed to admit that after doing a post recently about my collection of British vintage flags, I then went looking for an Aussie flag to blog about and could only find my sons' nasty nylon 'crusty demons' offering...bit poor really! Robx
ReplyDeleteSurely you only put flags on the car when your team wins... and then you drive around and around the block hooting at everyone. Ah Aussies on Australia day, bogans all let us rejoice...
ReplyDeleteI'm new here but have been united (in style) with you on Kerry's blog so had to pop on over...!
Here in France we're seeing more and more flags on cars too - not necessarily French, but maybe from us ex-pats when a big football match is coming up... I have to say it's probably a marketing thing, not a nationalistic one...
ReplyDeleteOMG, just read one of your comments, don't even get me started on hibiscus stickers!!!
ReplyDeleteWhat a hoot of a post I'd love to see some Christo city flag wrapping. That'd be ace! (do I sound super Aussie?)
Great post! I must say I haven't seen so many flags than I did this year. Next they'll be making cardboard cutouts of Kath and Kim's heads that you can stick to your rear window!
ReplyDeleteMegs :)