Monday, January 10, 2011

What the hell is going on? And a slug.

It rained yesterday. It rained all last night. It's raining now. It hasn't stopped raining.


I woke this morning to hear that 72 people are missing in the Lockyer Valley (about 100kms west of Brisbane).



The regional city where we used to live, Toowoomba, just around the corner from where I used to work, saw an 'inland tsunami' go through yesterday ... killing two people.

We're fine in Brisbane ... but this is all a shock. 

I keep muttering 'sandbags' but the Husband refuses to buy any because he says we're too high up.

It's one of those events that, the impact of which, won't make itself realised until well-after it's over.

There are warnings this morning that the Brisbane River will rise by three metres, inundating low-lying properties.

We can only sit, watch the news and wait for it all to unfold.

I think we'll be fine. I'm thankful it's all happening during the school holidays when children are at home.



But it is like Armageddon here! The skies are black and thunder booms.

Look at the size of that slug on the window.


What sort of creature is that? If it wasn't on land, I'd have said it was a dugong.


Even the husband didn't want to touch it.


When we stop getting enjoyment from freaking out the children, then you'll know we're in trouble.


All this rain reminds me of this song.



28 comments:

  1. I know - it's pretty crazy. We have family evacuating. Hope people stay safe.

    That slug is disgustingly impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Momma I finally figured it out, Hooray! dang that was the biggest slug ever....ooooh!
    I adore Johnnie Cash My mom and dad got to have there picture taken with him and June when they were all young it's so cool...We had two major shooting sprees over here in the U.S. to, Just so scary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What the hell is going on up there at the moment?

    Bugger the sand bags and start building an ark I say!

    Keep your tootsies dry comrades, your southern belles are thinking about you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rain, rain, go away ... etc. Hope all is well with you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been thinking of you and yours during this horrible flooding. It does look apocalyptic, I can't imagine what the feelings are there.
    Be safe and be well. You're in my thoughts till the waters abate.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Are you sure the kids aren't pulling a swifty and pegging rolled up wet plasticine at the window, then feigning horror just to get their rain- jollies? Cabin fever brings out the creativity you know! We may have find pleasure in covering school books if this doesn't stop! ARRRGH!

    ReplyDelete
  7. we had that slug's twin brother here last night. good luck to you, it's still raining here too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Eeewww, horrible slug, it's a dugong for sure!! My husband just took off to drive to Brisbane, not happy, he could wait a day or two but then even more roads would be blocked!! Argh!!
    It's raining here in Canberra too, so dark & grey. Glad it is school holidays - did you hear a child care centre went under in the Toowoomba flood, how frightening!!
    Thinking of Qld in this horrible event, love Posie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thinking of you (and all of queensland). Stay safe x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Honey make sure you& famly keep safe I am having bad case of deju vu to 1974.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Carmel,
    stay safe.
    You're in my thoughts!
    Ariane.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's good to be high. Stay safe MMMC. We're ok but we are very frightened. Mr Rooney might have to evacuate. God knows what my parents are doing but they are quite high on the street. We are hoping for the best for everyone. xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! Take care of each other. We are quite familiar with sandbags in these parts.... I'm pretty good at stacking - I'd offer you some help if I could. I'll be thinking of you all. But can I say... I can't stop thinking about that slug. Might have to use that one as a model... :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. That slug is horrible. I do not want to find one around here. I just do not!

    It has stopped raining here for about an hour. Hope it stays that way for a while. Don't like my chances though.
    Pam x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello everyone,
    we're okay! It's all very strange just waiting to see what the Brisbane River does ... we have to wait for days ... it's raining but we're dry and high.

    It's sad though because so many Australians are going to be affected by this ... and it's been so sudden!

    Thank you for coming back to the blog, too, by the way. Good women (and brother)!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm so sorry. I know how it feels. As I said before we had a terrible flood a couple of months ago, very close to where I live. Hopefully it will stop raining and the hot weather will help to dry everything. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Glad to hear you guys are safe, keep dry!

    x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Take care. Am thinking of you. It must be horrible just waiting for the waters to rise. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  19. OMG just watched your PM on our TV news. Didn't realise that Brisbane was in danger. Keep Safe - don't take any chances. That slug was huge. Oh just watching more reports on TV. Really scary. I feel for you. Sending all my best wishes for a safe ending to all this.Cx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Now, what would Johnny do in that situation, I wonder. He'd sit out on the patio and play the guitar... I guess that's not an option.
    Stay safe, stay together, stay happy (?) - and be nice to the slugs.
    You'll be ok, you'll see.
    xox Lilli

    ReplyDelete
  21. I trust you've stocked the pantry...lanterns, food, water? I'm sorry to hear about the troubles there. It's been a very intense winter. Be safe friend. Glad all the babies are safely at home with you. Keep us posted. And keep that slug in your part of the world!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ooh that slug is all I can think about. Don't expect to see me if those things are on the loose! Stay safe.

    HUGS

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi MMMMC, We have removed most of the stuff from the Garden Centre, my eldest son and Kristen are stillmoving stuff. I kept crying because complete strangers kept coming in off the street and begging us to let them help us...it was very special. The loss of life is just so awful...but now I am singing Johny cash soo that has cheered me up no end. xxx Katherine

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hope you are all still ok and aren't one of the ones that will have no power, and you are still high and safe.

    We are fine here, just no bread, milk, freash produce and apparently fuel is low too. Roads are closed so there is nothing coming north through Gympie, and Rocky is cut off so anything leving there has to be barged out.

    But give me a few days emptying my pantry over the devastion others have had any day. Peopler have lost everything and the footage on TV of people being swept away is scary.

    ReplyDelete
  25. How high are you? Are you still safe? What an absolute nightmare, the stories from Toowoomba are heartbreaking. Take care xx

    ReplyDelete
  26. It's scary stuff.
    I'm expecting Felix St. Brisbane City, to go under by this time tomorrow. We have some property there. We're literally in uncharted waters.
    Johnny Cash always helps.
    Are you sure that wasn't a black mobile jelly bean? Big enough for breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  27. With slugs like that, I can't imagine worrying about the weather.

    Hope you're safe, dry, and keeping busy...

    ReplyDelete
  28. That's the biggest, ugliest slug I've ever seen. ICK! What did you do with it? Squash it (ewww, imagine the guts to come out of that!) or did you spare him & set him free on a lettuce leaf due to these strange times?

    ReplyDelete