Today had all the makings of my horror-of-horror days.
First we had a trip to the strangely blue-tinged dentist. We usually leave the dentist with lots of things - fillings mainly and I get my usual:
"WORST MOTHER IN THE WORLD FOR DENTAL HYGIENE
(and we're sure we could find more faults if we could be bothered)"
stamp.
But as each child emerged from the dentist's room, no dentist followed. I hurriedly shoved the next child in the door before the dentist realised she hadn't grinningly come out to give me the bad news about the previous set of canines.
After seeing all three, the dentist came out and almost hugged me! She said it's the first time she's seen them with perfect teeth. So I almost kissed her! I said it'd only taken me five years! She laughed a toothy laugh.
So today we left the dentist with a considerably smaller bill and some dinky dentist prizes.
Then we carted various boxes to the post office which is getting busier by the day.
And now we've been caught up in the candy-cane-giveaway-to-every-kid-in-the-class-because-they're-going-to-give-us-a-candy-cane-back cycle.
I don't know why I get caught up ... every kid gives each other a candy cane, so every kid should just agree not to give candy canes and we'd all be better off. Cavity-wise especially.
So I bought 108 candy canes and, while doing so, spied my nemesis the Christmas Cracker!
I hate Christmas Crackers ... they deserve to be merchandised above raw meat.
Oh look, they are!
Maybe I don't like them because my brother set his hair alight one Christmas by placing a cracker's paper hat around a candle and then putting the flaming paper hat on his head. But I hate that story. We hear the story every year. So I won't retell it. I know my brother hates hearing it.
Let's deconstruct the Cracker to see why it annoys me ...
1) They're just annoying.
2) They have unfunny jokes that no one would ever tell apart from feeling obliged to because they're on a slip of paper in a Christmas Cracker.
3) There's always some crappy plastic toy which only serves as a choking hazard to young children, and if you're old enough to know not to put the plastic miniature sewing machine in your mouth, what point does it serve you anyway?
4) The ridiculous paper hats - They are always too big and fall down over one's eyes or around candles. The more amusing individuals at the table may tear two eye-holes out of the fallen down hat - that's the only positive I can make of one. But apart from that, would you wear one on any other day?
5) Crackers invariably never 'crack' when you pull them apart.
6) Someone has to pick up all the paper scraps and toilet roll cardboard innards and put them in the bin. That's usually me.
And how is a $30- Michael Jacksonesque werewolf justifiably placed among the Christmas decorations? I was so close to sweeping these off the shelf, into the mince section, in one disgusted fell-swoop of my arm.
And this began today at the Gabba ... the Jiminy ... which will be on the radio like a sweet symphony to the start of Summer in the MMMC house. That menacing photo of Dennis Lillee should scare the English.
It sounds like we (Aussies) had a good day at the Gabba the Poms are whinging on the telly.
ReplyDeleteThat is a great post. My sentiments exactly...I despise (perhaps to strong a word) candy canes and christmas crackers!!On to the cricket...I hope Thommo bowls well this series.
ReplyDeleteDid you watch any of the 'Warnie' show last night?? Jury is out on that one.
Kotaatok,
ReplyDeletethe Husband is prancing about ... I take it that it's the cricket.
O&E,
I think the all-rounder/fast bowler Boony should be good for the side, too. I only saw an ad for the 'Warnie' show. My first thought was: he's no Michael Parkinson, or 'Parky' if we're keeping up the diminutives.
After I bought 30 thousand face washers with kids prints for my son's kindy friends I was told we don't give gifts at kindy, which I would know, if I had read the newsletter. Oh well.
ReplyDeleteCongratulations to all the family for your perfect score at the dentist!
ReplyDeleteMy sisters and I sometimes made our own christmas crackers... and sometimes made up our own jokes too (the one I still remember is: "what did the christmas tree say when it fell off the back of the truck? Nothing, silly - trees don't talk!") I think maybe the jokes in the crackers are not so bad in comparison??
Christmas crackers are lame, I concur, but I don't think it's Xmas without them. I need a Xmas Life Coach, as I'm lost. Congratulations on those pearly whites. Perhaps it's the fluoride in the water?! I saw Warnie and he looked like a tay spranned Oompa Loompa.
ReplyDeleteIve been buying Christmas Crackers the last two years because they are so British and I knew we'd be moving here at some point. They are not common in the US, so I had made an effort each year to find them. So this year, now that we are in England, we were at the store and I said, 'Look kids, it's the Christmas Crackers we have every year'. They claimed never to have seen them before - little buggers!
ReplyDeleteI definitely share you feelings on crackers. Not only are they tacky. but they sabotage all potentially good photos by ruining everyone's Xmas outfits. Let's face it, how can you showcase your newly acquired accessories when wearing a silly paper crown.
ReplyDelete108 candy canes! And 108 cards to write? That's punitive and negotiations should begin at once for a ceasefire.
ReplyDeleteI completely agree with you about crackers. Gosh, a miniature sewing machine would be sublime compared to what's usually in the ones my husband will insist on buying. But I collect cracker toys and have come to love their dreadfulness. The more shapeless and peculiar the plastic blob the better, as far as my collection goes, but they don't usually please anyone else around the table.
NessaKnits,
ReplyDelete30,000 face washers! You must be the terry-towelling industry's pin-up girl! At least you know you'll always be squeaky clean.
Catherine,
that joke's not bad! It has taken me five years to work out the teeth-cleaning aspect.
R&S,
I haven't used the term 'pearly whites' since I was at school. And Warnie's a goose.
HHUK,
funny children! Embarrassing you in public! I like how you call them buggers ... I call mine the same thing. Though I actually think it's a swear word in polite circles.
Bernice, generally the only accessory I get at Christmas is the paper hat. Buggers!
Jane,
ReplyDeletethey came in boxes of 36, from memory. We won't use them all. The dog will probably score about 10.
I'd love to see your collection of plastic toys! I hadn't thought of that. What a Cracker!
Oh come on, the werewolves rock. You can tell the kids late on Christmas Eve, "It's close to midnight and something evil's lurking in the dark..."
ReplyDeleteBrismod,
ReplyDeleteI've re-read your comment too many times, and it still makes me laugh, like a werewolfy-hyena.
A Christmas stale-Crackers often have associations. Last year I left the 5 kids at the end of the aisle with the directive not to move till I returned. I should have added "If I don't make it save yourselves and the baby!" As I squatted 'neath the cracker chaos trying to find a cracker with something in it worth the ridiculous price for nothing, I muttered under my breath at the argument going on above my head between a tired couple. "We already have the schnapps for Aunty Val. Let's just get some Toblerone and get out of here." I looked up and thought I got an icy stare from one of the men then realised it was a stare of recognition. He was a dear friend/housemate of mine who I had lost touch with years ago. We embraced, he introduced his partner, leaving me to deduce he was finally 'out' and I pointed at the 5 silent sentinels at the end of the aisle leading him to deduce that I don't get 'out' enough. As soon as we got home they told their father I had kissed a very handsome man in the cracker aisle...and I forgot the crackers.
ReplyDeleteMMMC excuse my kids-lexia earlier.
ReplyDeleteAnnie's a cracker! (in a good way) Please don't unfriend me, but we do the cracker nonsense only because that's what we've done ever since I can remember. I need a Christmas life coach too, care to take on the job? What's with all this gifting of candy canes at school? I hate the little buggers! (candy canes I mean)
ReplyDeleteLast year I bought my crackers from Liberty. It was an outrageous expense but worth every penny. I didn't mind the mess because Liberty is to me what Tiffany's is to Holly Golightly. You would love their craft section. The only scary bit was negotiating India around their delicate glass baubles without incurring additional expense.
ReplyDeleteM-L
Annie,
ReplyDeleteyou are too funny.
R&S,
I thought you wrote that purposefully.
Deb,
you'd do the crackers well, I'm sure! Candy cane gifting is getting out of proportion.
M-L,
I may come around to Crackers if they were from Liberty - but my tolerance ends there.
That's a lot of healthy teeth! What's your secret? (And don't say anything boring like. "We brush religiously day and night, and floss after each meal," because I'm really hoping for a magic cure-all, here.)
ReplyDeleteI dislike the candy cane thing so have opted for Santa tats this year instead. Even the big kids think they are fun and won't end up on a sugar high writing the cards. I do like the card giving as I gave up doing them myself a couple of years ago and it allays my guilt. It also keeps them quiet for a night although in grade 4 the twins got wise and halved their list and double signed- wiley buggers.
ReplyDeleteI had some idea of what to write, until I read Brismod's comment... now I can't wrap my head around it. I hate crackers; they never work, and all the jokes are from the mid-century...strange you don't like them!
ReplyDeleteHello kids; well done!
I sent you some chocolate!
Laalalalala....
Little shop of... is Steve Martin your dentist?
ReplyDeleteWhat are Santa tats Annie?
ReplyDeleteWendy,
ReplyDeleteit has seriously taken me five years to come out of the dentist without a reprimand ... it is a matter of twice-a-day brushing with lots of maternal screaming ... and we've recently had fluoride added to the water here in Queensland.
Annie,
wiley buggers indeed. Santa tatts. Cool.
Lilli, you make me chortle ... and you really do have wolves roaming outside in the middle of the night, don't you? Shudders!
Zigsma,
can't think of anything to say other than I think I need to do another OPRAH post.
Deb,
if Annie doesn't get back to you ... Santa tattoos ... Annie's a tattoo artist and she's going to pin down every kid at her school and give them tattoos on their arms that say "I love Santa".
That should have fun repercussions!
Oh those Thriller werewolves! I saw those in Woollies a while back and thought what the ......?
ReplyDelete