We went to The Land of Grandad to steal a few things the other day.
Grandma found out that I stole a few too many things, so she wants the surplus booty back ... I'll show you said booty before I return it.
Here's Grandad with his dog.
Grandma and Grandad are renovating. This is their new sideboard. It begged me to be put in the back of the car, and Martha and I tried dragging it outside, but it was too heavy.
I told it, "Don't worry. I'll be back one day!"
It is quite a lovely piece of furniture.
It's very green on the Mountain where Grandad lurks. There are lots of 'Avo' stalls on the side of the road. Look at that hedge!
This photo was taken from the car on the precipice of one of the ridges of the mountain?
I don't know geographical terminology.
We got this lamp from Grandad ... I duly cleaned it and the bulb is fine even after being in a shed for
about a decade!
We got some plates and cups like this because until now we've generally been eating off the table ... or we've been using awful duck-themed crockery that irks me beyond belief.
When I was growing up, we lived in a Spanish-style hacienda. There was white stucco as far as the eye could see, cow-hide rugs and seats, a set of bull's horns adorned a wall, matador paraphernalia thrilled our bloodthirsty imaginations ... so, when I went to The Land of Grandad I swiped the above chair ... it's one of two, three-legged Spanish seating apparatus. One of my younger brothers spent his youth falling off it. Every dinner time. You couldn't warn him.
We didn't eat with our parents when we were little. We sat at a separate table in another room. As a result, we used to throw a lot of food at each other and when my other brother scooted to the toilet, mid-meal, we'd all scrape our vegetables onto his plate! And by the time he'd come back to the table ... we'd all decamped and he was left with a pile of peas, carrots and potatoes! Ah, memories.
These are bullish things I like looking at. I must say, I'm not an advocate for bull-fighting.
I just like the aesthetic.
Here's a Guzzini picnic box that was languishing in The Land of Grandad ... who doesn't love the primary-coloured loveliness of Italian plastic?
Below is the Danish gorgeousness that Grandma wants back ... I cleaned it for her like a good daughter who can't help herself when it comes to teak.
Grandma probably wants this orange, heavy beauty back as well ... the Husband said it's that heavy that I could use it to 'do-him-in' in the middle of the night. You can understand my reluctance to return it.
And the baby now demands to be taken outside every morning to be shown the birds.
Pointing.
Wow that Guzzini picnic thingy is amazing as is the sideboard. And why all the Spanish stuff? Was it to match the house or are your parents Spanish?
ReplyDeleteLovely new crockery. Hi Grandad! How lovely the boy child looks with the lamp and the lovely book. I'd keep that heavy orange pot too. Do you know how much they are to buy new?! You have a great eye for styling. I love the fond childhood memories. Our kids used to eat separately too. We used it more as a defense mechanism! Tweet, baby M!
ReplyDeleteGoodness! You are like me. If it's not nailed down or glued to the floor at my parents, it's mine (with permission of course). Love the picnic box, love orange Le Creuset, love the lamp, love all of it. That picture of your little one is just gorgeous too.
ReplyDeleteOh and you should ditch the duck themed plates. Go on. you know you want to. xx
I don't even know where to begin. The credenza/sideboard leaves me speechless, the turquoise bull made me swoon, the tri-leg seat, wow, the orange goodies made me giddy....did you really have to give some of it back? And didn't you just return their armoire a few posts back? So can't they please just give you the sideboard??? And can you please send baby girl to me?
ReplyDeleteJane,
ReplyDeletewe really lived in a crazy Spanish house. My parents built it. There's no Spanish blood flowing intravenously in anyone!
Deb, can you believe I have never had any formal training in styling? Incredible, I know. I can see the reasoning behind separate eating!
Brismod, the duckplates are going. What a weight off!
MCM,
I was only joking about the sideboard. My mother does have nice taste, in my opinion. I'm just returning the stuff they didn't know I wanted - teak and crock pot. They did replace their other sideboard with another one. I am lucky ... I just can't help myself when I see their beautiful old things. I'd be cranky if my kids did it to me - though they'll probably want to throw it all away by then!
You had me at the sideboard. As soon as I can find a suitably monochromatic outfit to match my black ski-mask, I'm going in. That mop-doggy doesn't bite, does it?
ReplyDeleteI'm so jealous my skin is itching.
ReplyDeleteI dream of finding stuff like this. Granddad and Grandma have got taste coming outta their proverbials!
Isn't 'posession' nine tenths of the law?
itchy itchy itchy
Looks like there's going to be a three way tug of war for baby!
ReplyDeleteThere's alot of orange at Land of Grandad. Your childhood home must have been a trendsetter in it's day. Those bulls are very popular you know. How about the Guzzini picnic box? Rather futuristic, and not unlike a weber. I can't decide if I love or hate it.
ReplyDeleteGORGEOUS post, totally gorgeous! I used to covet so many things at my olds too ... they were worth waiting for;) Still smiling thinking of you kids and your vegies ... Haaaaaaa love it!
ReplyDeleteLand of Granddad is good!! Lucky you. Ole.
ReplyDeleteOh, I just love this post; I think you should visit your grandparents more often! Love the Guzzini picnic box, although seems like both Noodle and me thought it was a new ball to play with at first :)
ReplyDeleteReally, you were eating in a separate room as kids - wish I had been that lucky :) Keep the orange thing, not to do your husband in, but because it's wonderful, quality stuff; I have a blue one.
Look at Martha; can't wait for her to get here, wonder if it will be this summer...
What a great post! Loved those finds. We actually have my parent's old hi fi, and a few pieces of mod furniture and a lamp. Not that we have a big house.. we just squeeze it all in. :)
ReplyDelete