Monday, November 8, 2010

You gotta taste the sauce!

Well, exams are over for another semester. We're not going to talk about them any more.

Okay?

Because I was hoping the Corporation Law exam was going to be a spelling-bee-type exam ... such as:

1) Hands up who can spell 'liquidation'?

2) Hands up who can spell 'Alan Bond'?

3) Who can hop on the spot for an extra 10 marks?

It wasn't like that at all.

It had a whole lot of difficult questions which caused all of my acquired knowledge of the Corporations Act to suddenly evaporate from my cerebrum, and it caused my eyes to go fuzzy and my breathing to become laboured.

So, moving along ...

Between my two exams, however, I received two wonderful parcels in the mail.

We're going to explore them together because I got quite hippety-hoppety about them (10 extra-curricula hopping points to you, MMMC)!

The first one from a woman named Deb. I don't know who she is. I've never heard of her before! Only kidding! It came from OUR Deb! It was a bit sticky and smelled of blueberries ... even the postman commented on it saying, "I don't think it's fared too well!" as he threw it at me and ran back to his van.


Clever Deb, though! 
Despite her bottle of blueberry syrup having broken in the box, she'd sealed everything in plastic bags so nothing was harmed. Mother-types do sensible things like that, don't they, other Mother-types?


Because of the predominant theme of Deb's parcel, we've concluded that Deb lives in Canada! She sent this marvellous ball which is good for chewing and for throwing at each other.


And there was lots of Maple stuff like Maple flavoured lollies which I haven't stopped eating ... and stickers that have been stuck everywhere! Underneath it all is an old tea-towel of Deb's which is very funky and for which I have plans.


I had grand visions of keeping everything until Christmas. But the husband opened the Maple BBQ sauce, and suggested I taste it. Which I did ... and then I covered my dinner in it, and then covered the leftovers in it and ate them ... and then I poured some sauce in a glass and drank it. 


I thought this was soap! But it's actually pure maple cream ... solidified and you grate it onto cakes, or in your coffee ... I think this is the only perishable that we'll save for Christmas.What philistines we are.


Oh, and look! The ever thoughtful Deb sent these two ... remember my post on Francoise Seignobosc ... unfortunately Martha has decided she likes them too, and she reaches her sticky, page-tearing hands towards them ... so I read them to her from across the room!



Child One is allowed to read them ... she's a bit more careful. They're very pretty. Thank you, Deb. You're one in (almost) a million of Canadians who live in the New Brunswick province.

Then about 15 minutes after we'd torn open Deb's soggy parcel, in a display of uncouth desperation, there was another knock on the door-thing and it was a different postman.


This parcel came from Zigsma ... there was a very precious Do Bee bowl which now holds the Canadian Maple lollies. But not for long because I'm sucking on them like some addict.


And there was a copy of the 1964 Penguin edition of Lucky Jim ... that illustration on the cover is by Quentin Blake ... I only know him because he illustrated the odd-Roald Dahl book ... but you know that already ...


And despite all the good tidings from around the place, this is an unhappy morning child who can only eat breakfast with a pig on his head.

17 comments:

  1. This post made me laugh, especially the last picture! I want my very own 'our Deb'. I would love to receive a parcel like that one.

    Also love the romper room bowl:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. So many nice things! Speaking of which I received something in the mailbox too!! xxooxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's quite a haul. I think we can all agree that everything from Canada tastes better. Although, I draw the line at actually drinking Maple BBQ sauce. Maybe unhappy morning child with pig on head can pour aforementioned maple bbq sauce over his pig and have a Canadian breakfast to turn his little frown upside down.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad all was enjoyed by all. Come on over and we'll have Cdn bacon to fix that frown!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Love all the stuff from Canadia. I'd like to taste that sauce. And the maple cream soap looks delicious.

    That Zigsma sounds pretty cool.

    The postman paid me a call today also. Thank you. Let's try and outdo each other with gifts!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought the maple lollies sounded good - but pure maple cream? Didn't even know it existed - I bet that is reaaaallly yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's all I can do to stop myself from drooling in a most unladylike fashion at all that maple flavoured goodness. Yuuum.

    ReplyDelete
  8. YOu are one lucky duck. I'm determined to become more interesting so that Deb will want to follow me. Now, please excuse me while I attempt to entice the three year old to put a giraffe on her head...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have I ever told you that I love that you say 'Democracy is King' and then that my 'comment will be visible after approval'? You'll be a great lawyer.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good luck on your exam results - sounds stressful. So much maple goodness! Yum! Love the piggy head - sometimes I need one of those with my breakfast too :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. MonkeeMM,
    everyone needs a Deb! I'm lucky to have found her.

    Brismod, pretty ordinary in comparison.

    Estelle, I just may pour said sauce over unnhappy morning child.

    Deb, thank you.

    Zigsma,
    I've run out of baby clothes.

    Jennie, when I grate the maple cream I'll show you.

    Aussie-waffler, I could never imagine anything unladylike coming from you!

    Anna, yes, the small print. The irony in my totalitarian comment regime is funny now you point it out. And unhappy morning child rose from his bed with the pig on his head - as per usual, we can't find Spotty Cat.

    ReplyDelete
  12. No way, Mr Doo Bee bowl?? I used to watch that show & "punch punch punch the ball, punching's so much fun" . . . imagine that with today's maniac children at school!!?? Miss Helena never EVER said she could see 'Jennie' so i was very unimpressed. Worse, when i started private school in primary, so many girls had been ON THE SHOW!! Why hadn't i, what were my parents missing, bummer. No wonder she never 'saw me'.
    The Canadian stuff is also super cool, love that they are French/ Anglais speakers, just a bit dizzy with the Doo Bee flash back. Love Posie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yum deb is the best. That maple syrup cream sounds Devine. Glad your exams are all over yey, cheers katherine

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello! Thanks so much for following my blog. Yours is fab and you have a wonderfully funny way of telling things.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wanna trade postmen? Mine keeps bringing bills. I could use a good tumbler of BBQ sauce right about now, and a pig on my head to share it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Deb is an amazing ambassador for Canada and maple syrup. Fab new books. Seems you've quite a lot of reading material to enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Just now, I stood on my knobbly knees to applaud you; really, I did! You have accomplished miracles so far. I would never have passed the spelling-bee-type exam. Can I spell lickuadition (obviously not); I can't even hop right now.

    I'm jealous on every single thing you got through the mail, even the broken jar - it must have smelled delicious! You deserve it all, of course - and more to come!!!

    ReplyDelete